PDA

View Full Version : reviews/opinions Infinity Super General saw blade

Loren Blount
04-15-2008, 7:03 PM
I was looking at buying a Infinity Dadonator and saw they have a package deal with their Super General combination saw blade. Has anyone used the Super General, or seen a review of it? It appears to be similar to the Freud premier fusion blade with teeth that have a side grind. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks Loren

scott spencer
04-15-2008, 7:32 PM
Hi Loren - The new Super General (010-044) has a similar geometry to the Freud Fusion. I haven't tried the Fusion but have tried the new SG. It's about the cleanest cutting 40T general purpose blade I've tried. The Hi-ATB grind crosscuts extremely well, is superb in melamine, ply, and laminates, and the low side clearance dual side grind leaves a very polished edge. I can literally tell which blade made the cut just by looking at the edge of the board, which is unique to this blade as I have difficulty telling cuts apart from the other premium 40T blades. It's not quite as efficient at ripping as the WWII but it does leave a cleaner cut. One thing to be aware of, the same features that do the polishing make it a bit more prone to burning if all is not well with the setup, but overall it's an amazingly clean cutting GP blade IMHO.

Wood Mag rated as one of their Top Tools in their recent blade comparison, along with the Fusion, and I think the WWII. Here's my Epinions review (http://www.epinions.com/review/Infinity_Super_General_10_40_Tooth_General_Purpose _Blade_epi/content_420337454724) of it.

Loren Blount
04-15-2008, 8:02 PM
Thanks Scott I'll check out your review after supper. I was also curios as to how it compared to your previos blade as far as noise. I read on the infinty web site they claim they are very quiet. If you address that in your review you don't need to post a reply

Thanks
Loren

scott spencer
04-15-2008, 8:07 PM
Thanks Scott I'll check out your review after supper. I was also curios as to how it compared to your previos blade as far as noise. I read on the infinty web site they claim they are very quiet. If you address that in your review you don't need to post a reply

Thanks
Loren

I typically don't pay alot of attention to the noise level unless something jumps out. I always turn on my DC first which masks any of the subtle noise differences. FWIW, Wood commented on how quiet it was...IIRC, it was 2nd quietest out of the 28 tested.

tom cooper
04-15-2008, 9:01 PM
Loren-
I was leaning toward the Infinity blade back around Jan/Feb and all of a sudden Amazon came out with a deal for about $74.00 on the 10" Freud Fusion blade so for me, price won out. It is my second best, cleanest, smoothest blade. Better than Forrest and better than Ridge Carbide. The Tenryu Gold Meal is my favorite and quietest blade but this Freud Fusion is a CLOSE second and I haven't taken it off the saw in two months. Right now Amazon has the Freud Fusion for $82.56 which is still a good deal.
One thing thing about the Infinity blade that was appealing was the extra large carbide teeth. They almost look like you could get at least twelve sharpenings out of them.

Loren Blount
04-16-2008, 9:05 AM
Thanks Tom I think I'll be happy with either the Freud or the Infinity. Time to start deal hunting. Anyone know of any online sellers offering a deal?

Thanks Loren