PDA

View Full Version : Laser Cutting CDs and Laser Discs

Chris Hanson
04-15-2008, 6:49 PM
I'm just curious if this is possible and if so, how.

Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
04-15-2008, 6:52 PM
Last time I cut a CD the settings for 1/16" acrylic worked.

Bill Cunningham
04-15-2008, 8:58 PM
Ya!! Start with as many of the the Hip-Hop ones you can find, and then work all the way down to Rap!... :D

Scott Challoner
04-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Has anyone engraved CDs?
I tried one yesterday for a prospect and the results were less than acceptable. I may have hit it too hard because you could read the mirrored text on the data side. The CD was also rendered unusable. I just used a blank TDK disk, but I'm wondering if it should have had some other coating on it. Paint?

Peck Sidara
04-16-2008, 12:02 PM
I've raster engraved cd's, specifically barcodes both standard and 2D-data matrix. I believe different cd's have different coatings, the ones I used were prepared for inkjet.

The application required a contrasting mark, depth didn't matter. The mark was just enough to penatrate the top painted layer.

Result: A scannable barcode, decent contrast but also corrupted data in the area laser'd.

conclusion: The layer on the cd that data is written on is sensitive. Laser etching the top surface changes/deflects the beam of light as the cd is being read. If laser etching cd's, do it in an area that doesn't contain data (inner ring or outer rings that may not have any data).

Scott Challoner
04-16-2008, 1:08 PM
Good info. Thanks Peck.

John Noell
04-16-2008, 3:01 PM
In commercial CDs (master-stamp variety) the silver layer is where the data are stored and is easily subject to mechanical disruption from the top side. If the bottom clear plastic protective layer is not smooth it disrupts the light path. Either way the CD is corrupted. In recordable CDs, the dye that stores the data is heat sensitive. Tough to laser engrave without heat.

David Darnell
04-17-2008, 8:12 AM
Just a thought- have you tried the lightscribe type of disc? I would think that since they are made to have a burned label anyway (using a DVD burner) that with a low enough setting, you can get the same effect with a engraver

Scott Challoner
04-17-2008, 9:53 AM
Good point David. I aleady have a lightscribe drive in my computer, but have never used it. I think the laser would be overkill and I have another tool that may do the job... When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Steven Smith
04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Just a thought- have you tried the lightscribe type of disc? I would think that since they are made to have a burned label anyway (using a DVD burner) that with a low enough setting, you can get the same effect with a engraver

I was able to get a decent image on a lightscribe disc and it didn't ruin the data either... I don't remember the exact settings other than it was fast and with little power. It was one of those 'see if I can do it' thing.

Peck Sidara
04-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Interesting thread w/ good info. I'll keep the lightscribe discs in mind for future applications.

Thanks,

Dave Kurt
04-17-2008, 4:03 PM
Follow-up would be great since using a Lightscribe drive and Nero software generally takes up to fifteen minutes to etch only a decent amount of text and/or image.

Anyone have speed/power/wattage settings they could share?

Chris Hanson
04-17-2008, 5:42 PM
So am I correct in my understanding that you can vector cut them without any problem? I thought maybe the reflective nature would interfere with the cutting and that maybe a mask of some sort would have to be used.

I'm thinking of ways to justify buying a laser and I was thinking of cutting old cds and laser discs into jewelry. (I'm a jewelry artist on the side, museum curator in my "real job")

Does anyone know if the lasered edges are more brittle than before cutting? I have another idea of using laser cut dies to press shapes in metal for my jewelry making.

This will not be my full time business, but I need to at least have the laser pay for itself to justify it to my financial advisor (wife).

Thanks for all the great info. I have scanned this forum extensively to answer all my questions in researching lasers.

Chris

Steven Smith
04-17-2008, 5:49 PM
Follow-up would be great since using a Lightscribe drive and Nero software generally takes up to fifteen minutes to etch only a decent amount of text and/or image.

Anyone have speed/power/wattage settings they could share?
HA! I just happen to have saved the test file I used... 100 speed 5 power and 500 dpi. You would need to experiment with settings but this may be a good place to start.

Scott Shepherd
04-17-2008, 7:20 PM
I'm not sure how it would impact it, but I can tell you without question that if you put the sticker on a little off center, it will throw the disc out of balance and give you problems. I've seen that many times with a friend of mine. He ended up throwing away a lot of discs he had made because the sticker was put on off center and people had problems with them.

I would guess that removing material would cause the same sort of problem.

Those jokers spin at something like 30,000 RPM. Doesn't take much to throw them off balance.