PDA

View Full Version : My first Dust Collection System & shop made seperator

Dennis Peacock
04-15-2008, 5:48 PM
Started this thread for Stephen Edwards due to issues that he's been experiencing with posting and linking.

Greetings all,
After reading many threads and posts related to DC here at SMC I decided to bite the bullet and install some dust collection in my small "woodworking shop in a barn". I've also built a very inexpensive and efficient seperator that seems to be working well. Anyone who's interested in seeing what I've done, please take a look at this page. (http://stephenedisonedwards.com/dust-collection-seperator.html)

I welcome any comments or suggestions. Thanks!
Best Regards,
Stephen Edwards

Shawn Honeychurch
04-15-2008, 6:30 PM
That system looks like it works pretty darn good Dennis;

Gonna have to built myself one someday, mind you I have to get a wee bit more electricity into the shop first.

Shawn

Dave MacArthur
04-16-2008, 2:48 AM
Interesting, and I enjoyed browsing through your whole site, Stephen. The Secret Door was my favorite. Thanks for sharing your art.

Stephen Edwards
04-16-2008, 9:50 AM
Interesting, and I enjoyed browsing through your whole site, Stephen. The Secret Door was my favorite. Thanks for sharing your art.

Thanks Dave, Glad you enjoyed my art and thanks for letting me know.

Thomas Pender
04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Dennis-

I originally had something similar with the cyclone top from Woodstock. But, I like your ingenuity with the plastic plumbing pipe and your viewing port.

Ingenuity apart, I am now a convert of Bill Pentz http://billpentz.com/index.cfm) because he makes sense. This means the questions are: (1) how much dust gets through those filter bags on the dust collector; (2) what is your CFM rate. From what I see, it is likely nearly all the dust 5 microns or less gets through those bags and that is the dangerous stuff. Also, it seems unlikely you will obtain 800 CFM of airflow where you need it.

Now, it could be your shop is open enough to mitigate the risk, but it is still probably an unacceptable risk based upon what we know today. Thus, please take the time to read Bill's stuff and take a look at the Clearvue site, the Oneida site, etc. (Grizzly also sells cyclones and you can download their cyclone book, but I am not knowledgeable about their filter efficiency or capacity as opposed to the Wynn filters). (Also the Wynn Environmental folks, who sell the filters the Clearvue design is based on, also sell cartridge filters to retrofit certain dust collectors, the issue of CFM is not necessarily solved, nor is it that easy to maintain those systems.) The key is too get the dust into the bottom of the cyclone and the more the less the filter has to work.

Good luck!

Stephen Edwards
04-16-2008, 1:04 PM
Dennis-

I originally had something similar with the cyclone top from Woodstock. But, I like your ingenuity with the plastic plumbing pipe and your viewing port.

Ingenuity apart, I am now a convert of Bill Pentz http://billpentz.com/index.cfm) because he makes sense. This means the questions are: (1) how much dust gets through those filter bags on the dust collector; (2) what is your CFM rate. From what I see, it is likely nearly all the dust 5 microns or less gets through those bags and that is the dangerous stuff. Also, it seems unlikely you will obtain 800 CFM of airflow where you need it.

Now, it could be your shop is open enough to mitigate the risk, but it is still probably an unacceptable risk based upon what we know today. Thus, please take the time to read Bill's stuff and take a look at the Clearvue site, the Oneida site, etc. (Grizzly also sells cyclones and you can download their cyclone book, but I am not knowledgeable about their filter efficiency or capacity as opposed to the Wynn filters). (Also the Wynn Environmental folks, who sell the filters the Clearvue design is based on, also sell cartridge filters to retrofit certain dust collectors, the issue of CFM is not necessarily solved, nor is it that easy to maintain those systems.) The key is too get the dust into the bottom of the cyclone and the more the less the filter has to work.

Good luck!

Hi Thomas,

Stephen Edwards here. Dennis posted this thread for me bacause I was having some issues getting the post to work.

Honestly, I don't yet how much dust will be left. This is my first experiment with DC. Time will tell. My shop is a 12 x 48 area of old barn. I heat with wood heat. In the summer it's wide open with 3 doors and I think 9 windows.

I will read the link that you sent and thank you for the same.

Kindly,

Reed Wells
04-16-2008, 6:29 PM
Stephan, I went to your homepage and looked at your artwork. Very talented and imaginative.

Michael Weber
04-16-2008, 9:02 PM
Made me laugh Stephen. Thanks. re: self portriat

Stephen Edwards
04-17-2008, 8:03 AM
Glad ya'll enjoyed my art. Thanks for looking.