PDA

View Full Version : Sales Tax Poll (moved to OT)

Dick Sylvan
04-15-2008, 5:19 PM
On another thread there is a discussion about Mini-Max trying to collect sales taxes on earlier sales in California. Much of the response revolves around the fact that when we order items from out of state , we are still, at least in most states, personally obligated to pay sales tax in our own states. Many (or,at least,some) in that thread seem rather indignant that anyone would resist paying the sales tax. My question is this: How many of you have voluntarily sent a sales tax payment to your state controller/tax collector for items you have puchased out of state. I bet darn few of us have done so, but I may be wrong.

Greg Peterson
04-15-2008, 5:22 PM
We don't have a sales tax in Oregon. :D

Dave Verstraete
04-15-2008, 5:30 PM
That's called "rubbing it in" , Greg. No Fair

Chris Padilla
04-15-2008, 5:51 PM
But how is that income tax in Oregon, Greg? :)

Joe Pelonio
04-15-2008, 5:59 PM
But how is that income tax in Oregon, Greg? :)
Yeh, we have sales tax too, but no income tax here in WA. :)

Mark Engel
04-15-2008, 6:26 PM
New Hampshire, baby!

No sales tax, No income tax!

Anyone want to chip in on my property taxes??? :eek:

Tom Veatch
04-15-2008, 6:38 PM
Sales tax, income tax, and property tax in Kansas, all of which are too high - and in my township, at least, there's also what's called an "intangibles tax". That's a tax levied by the township on savings accounts 'cause if you weren't saving it, you might have bought something that we could charge property tax on so you're cheating us out of the property tax you should be paying but ain't 'cause you saved the money instead of buying a new boat or something with it.

Now as far as the question originally posed in this thread; since my location is displayed as part of my signature, you don't really expect me to confess to not paying "use" tax on out-of-state purchases, now do you, really? Right out here in public?

Greg Peterson
04-15-2008, 6:38 PM
I think the Beatles said it best:

If you drive a car (car) I'll tax the street
If you try to sit (sit) I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold (cold) I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk (walk) I'll tax your feet

Taxes drive me crazy, but then again, living in the best country in the world isn't cheap. I'm not so cynical as to believe that all of my tax dollars are squandered

I like that I don't have to add that extra percentage into every tax exempt purchase. Buy a $1,000 tool, I pay $1,000, not $1,065.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-15-2008, 7:08 PM
If you just found out that you won Powerball I'd advise you change domicile to a non income tax state immediately.

Home, Driver's license voting registration, - the works.

Tell the lottery commission to send the check to you there.

Merely knowing that Money is coming is not the same thing as possession. The actual check however, is what is called constructive possession. You don't want the check so long as you are in a high tax state.

Anthony Whitesell
04-15-2008, 7:24 PM
Ditto Mark. No sales tax to deal with, but I could use a little help with the property taxes as well.

The revaluation tripled the value of my property and the tax rate went down 50%. Up x3 down x 0.5 = taxes up 50% in one year. Ugh!!! But no sales tax.

Rob Russell
04-15-2008, 7:53 PM
To answer the original question, I include a chunk of sales with our CT state income return. There is a specific line for Sales and Use taxes and I'd rather put something in there than not.

Chris Padilla
04-15-2008, 7:57 PM
Hmmm, define "chunk" :)

Peter Quinn
04-15-2008, 8:40 PM
In the words of ACDC "They're gonna have to catch me if they want me to hang!"

Doug Shepard
04-15-2008, 9:56 PM
I'm just thinking that since real names are used here, answering the original question might not be too smart. Never know how many WW'ers whose day job happens to be for your state's tax collectors.

Doug Jones from Oregon
04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Joe....and there are days I wish I was back in WA state....I would rather be taxed on what I spend that on what I earn.... I can remember years where I actually was able to save money, ie, not spend all that I earned.. In States with income tax, there is one less incentive to save.

Chris...from what I remember of my 3 years in CA...the income tax level and property taxes are no worse, seems to me even lower than the golden state.

Mike Henderson
04-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Joe....and there are days I wish I was back in WA state....I would rather be taxed on what I spend that on what I earn.... I can remember years where I actually was able to save money, ie, not spend all that I earned.. In States with income tax, there is one less incentive to save.
As I'm sure you recognize, when you have a tax on spending, the poor are taxed on everything they earn, while the rich are taxed on only a small portion of what they earn.

Mike

Wayne Cannon
04-17-2008, 12:51 AM
The Bostonians dumped the tea into the ocean over a 1/4% tax!

Lee DeRaud
04-17-2008, 12:58 AM
The Bostonians dumped the tea into the ocean over a 1/4% tax!Yeah, but a ha'penny just doesn't buy what it used to.

Greg Peterson
04-17-2008, 1:08 PM
Never know how many WW'ers whose day job happens to be for your state's tax collectors.

No sense in making the IRS auditors job any easier.

The rate of IRS corporate audits has fallen in the past several years while individual audits have risen dramatically in the same period. Makes sense. Shake down the individual that can't afford to fight the IRS. Go for the easy money.