PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen cocobolo option

gary Zimmel
04-15-2008, 3:56 PM
Was on the LN website and have noticed the the cocoblolo option for totes and knobs has been taken off.
Casey at LN confirmed to me that they will not be offering the option any more. Seems it is not only hard to get, but the reject rate is very high.

Always like the way the coco adds to the looks of the planes and saws.
Maybe they will come up with a different wood as an option.

Any sugestions.....

Rob Luter
04-15-2008, 4:45 PM
1) Black Walnut

2) Curly Maple

3) Mahogany

4) Apple

Take yer pick

dan grant
04-15-2008, 5:22 PM
i must have been on the last shipment, just recieved a set for my #8 and #2, wish i had ordered more, oh well

Clint Jones
04-15-2008, 5:40 PM
http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/ Contact Greg he can do them in coco, ebony, you name it. His sets are as good if not better than the LN. Just shoot him an email and tell him what youre looking for. -Clint

John Dykes
04-15-2008, 5:44 PM
I second that...

I just got a set in some exotic... Good God he does nice work.

Very highly recommended.

- Dykes

Jim McFarland
04-15-2008, 7:29 PM
<snip>
Contact Greg he can do them in coco, ebony, you name it. His sets are as good if not better than the LN.
<snip>

Another vote for Greg D....he made these out of Gabon ebony for a LN #4B:

Matt Z Wilson
04-15-2008, 8:09 PM
I really need to invent a drool guard for my laptop...

Paul Erickson
04-15-2008, 8:12 PM
Another vote for Greg D....he made these out of Gabon ebony for a LN #4B:

Very nice Jim. Are the LN totes a special order, since they are different from the
normal Stanley Bailey???

cheers, Paul

Jim McFarland
04-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Very nice Jim. Are the LN totes a special order, since they are different from the
normal Stanley Bailey???

cheers, Paul

Paul, I sent Greg the stock cherry knob and tote from the LN so he would have a pattern. He's great to work with -- as Clint said, just send him an email telling him what you want.

gary Zimmel
04-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Jim

Now that is one good looking #4 bronze.....

Greg Drozdowski
04-18-2008, 8:24 AM
Hi Gary,
I just registered at sawmill but if you have any questions just send me an email.

thanks, Greg

http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com

Corvin Alstot
04-18-2008, 6:20 PM
Always like the way the coco adds to the looks of the planes and saws.
Maybe they will come up with a different wood as an option.
Any sugestions.....

You could try to make your own. I have repaired a few totes that had broken tops
and it is a fairly easy process using rasps and files. But a lathe would probably help for the knobs.
If you want perfection, then you might look at Greg's site. The Gabon ebony looks amazing.

Johnny Kleso
04-18-2008, 7:35 PM
Greg, you do nice work..

Would you want me to put a link on my website to yours?

I did have a link to Mike in Cathey but his stopped making wood..

Greg Drozdowski
04-18-2008, 7:53 PM
Hi John,
How have you been? Would you like me to reciprocate on links? You may have to explain it to me how to do it but i certainly will.

Thanks, Greg

Johnny Kleso
04-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Greg,
No need to add a link to my page..

I will send you the code and tell you how to add one, this might help you understand how to add one..

I see you yse Yahoo SiteBuilder..

I edit your whole page and send you the edited file and tell you how to upload it I hope..
I can also make you a site banner with you site Name on it for the top..

I will use a few of your pictures as well as a link. This may take till I redesign the site but I will add one to the handle repair page or a new page..

Hers the Pic

http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/2.gif

Greg Drozdowski
04-19-2008, 8:15 AM
Hi John,
Great sign, my artistic are usually on the blah side. we should probably do this via emails i would imagine.
thanks, greg

Greg Drozdowski
04-21-2008, 8:53 PM
Hi John,
I did sneak in a rarebear plug there.

Thanks Again, Greg

Paul Gard
04-13-2011, 5:41 PM
Anyone know how to contact Greg Drozdowski? His website: http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/ is down or gone. I was hoping to get some totes and knobs made. From what I've seen, Greg's work looks great.

Johnny Kleso
04-13-2011, 6:14 PM
Sad to say he got divorced and no long has a work space..
That was what I hear last we talked ...

Getting hard to find handles whese days :)

Tim Null
04-13-2011, 9:07 PM
Hi Greg,

That link does not work for me and I can't find your website.

Mike Henderson
04-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Knobs and totes are not difficult to make. If you've never made one (of either) use some scrap wood to make the first set, then make them out of your favorite decorative wood.

You can find a number of sites on the web that give instructions for making a tote. Turning a knob is pretty straightforward if you have a lathe.

Mike

David Weaver
04-14-2011, 8:57 AM
Ditto mike's sentiment. I think it's actually easier to make them by hand (well, need a lathe for the knob) than it is to try to set up some jigged setup and try to not get a long drill bit in a press to not wander, etc.

I've had excellent luck with macassar ebony just using a cordless drill, using LV's template and doing everything by eye. Before I found LV's template, I just used whatever tote came on a plane, and eyeballed it. Figure with no bandsaw, probably about an hour and a half in an ebony tote, using only a half round file, a coping saw, a cordless drill and the half round rasp that LV sells (one that's not too expensive).

Lee Laird
04-20-2011, 2:06 AM
Call the main office for LN at 800-327-2520. The coco is presently still available, in limited quantities.

Mike Brady
04-20-2011, 4:48 PM
Johnny, maybe you have more info, but Greg Droz's site has been down for almost a year now. I don't think Greg continued his business when he relocated sometime back. His stuff was beautifully done and if you hear any more about him please post it here.

Mitchell Garnett
04-21-2011, 12:18 AM
Call the main office for LN at 800-327-2520. The coco is presently still available, in limited quantities.

I did this just a few weeks ago to inquire about coco handles for their bevel chisels. They wanted $50 per handle so I would expect a tote to be very pricey. I decided I will make my own even though I haven't used a lathe in years - it will be a good excuse to practice. I just hope I don't get turner's disease doing it. :-)

Lee Laird
04-21-2011, 10:56 AM
I did this just a few weeks ago to inquire about coco handles for their bevel chisels. They wanted $50 per handle so I would expect a tote to be very pricey. I decided I will make my own even though I haven't used a lathe in years - it will be a good excuse to practice. I just hope I don't get turner's disease doing it. :-)
I'm afraid they may have misunderstood what you wanted, when they quoted you the cost. The $50 charge is for a nob/tote set for any plane and all saw handles. It is $22 per chisel handle, or a $10 upgrade charge when you buy a chisel. Hope this helps.

Mitchell Garnett
04-21-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the note Lee. I'll check with them again. I may not have been clear in what I wanted.

Mitch