PDA

View Full Version : Overlap of plane definitions?

Will Blick
04-15-2008, 2:04 PM
What is a bench plane? A smoother is a type of bench plane? Some bench planes seem to be smoothers, without seeing the name smoother, it's just called a bench plane.

Is there distinct differences? I would guess, there was new names added through time, some makers use these new names, others don't?

John Erhardt
04-15-2008, 2:23 PM
What is a bench plane? A smoother is a type of bench plane? Some bench planes seem to be smoothers, without seeing the name smoother, it's just called a bench plane.

Is there distinct differences? I would guess, there was new names added through time, some makers use these new names, others don't?

The common definition of "bench plane" includes two major things: the blade is held at an angle against a frog, and the bevel of the blade is down. This is in contrast to a block plane, which has no frog and the bevel of the blade faces up.

A "smoothing" plane just means the length of the body is relatively short, and the job of the plane is to go over an already flattened area for final smoothing.

Lee Valley sells a smoother that has no frog (and hence the bevel of the blade is up). So a smoother does not necessarily need to be a bench plane. Adding to the confusion, a bench plane does not necessarily need to be a smoother, as the longer bodies of the #s 5 through 8, while bench planes, are not typically asked to do final smoothing work.

I hope that makes sense.

J

Robert Rozaieski
04-15-2008, 2:23 PM
Bench plane is a general term for the "family" of planes regularly kept on the bench for typical bench work in preparation of stock for other operations, i.e. jack or fore plane, try plane, jointer plane, smooth plane.

Similarly, another "family" of planes are the joinery planes used for making joints, i.e. jointer plane (this one overlaps in my opinion), rabbet plane, moving filletster plane, dado plane, plow plane.

Finally, there are the molding planes, which as their name suggests are for making molding/profiles, i.e. beads, ovolos, ogees, astragals, etc., etc., etc.

Will Blick
04-15-2008, 3:37 PM
OK, clear distinction between block and bench, agreed.

But, a plane called a "bench plane" can have all the same attributes as a Smoother, just without the word smoother in its name. Of course, it will have a blade with bevel down. Right?

I can see the lines being blurred with the new names added through the years...

Billy Chambless
04-15-2008, 4:30 PM
OK, clear distinction between block and bench, agreed.

But, a plane called a "bench plane" can have all the same attributes as a Smoother, just without the word smoother in its name. Of course, it will have a blade with bevel down. Right?

I can see the lines being blurred with the new names added through the years...

Personally, I'd call a plane with all the attributes of a smoother a "smoother". And I'd call a bevel-up smoother a smoother, too. But that's just me. ;) The terminology does get fuzzy; Lee Valley (Veritas) lists their bevel-up bench planes as bench planes, while Lie-Nielsen puts their bevel-up bench planes with the block planes.

I prefer a functional definition such as Robert gave above.

Will Blick
04-15-2008, 4:36 PM
Glad you support my fuzzy theory :-)

I am not a plane historian like many on this forum....but my guess is, the fuzziness started when Bench Planes started using BU blades, now they crossed over into the Block Plane category, blurring the lines. Out of curiosity, how long have bench planes been sold with BU blades? Has this been around forever? It seems this is a relatively new twist on bench planes?

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-15-2008, 7:10 PM
Technically speaking:
If the thing is on my bench when I find it, it is called ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Stu Gillard
04-15-2008, 7:43 PM
I have 3 x Stanley 5's

Stanley 5 No1 - Scrub (cambered iron for hogging off timber quickly)
Stanley 5 No2 - Smoother (iron corners relieved slightly for no edge marks/tight mouth)
Stanley 5 No3 - Jointer/shooter (dead square blade for edge jointing/shooting)

Definitely a bench plane can have many sub-types depending on setup.