PDA

View Full Version : Nova Dvr questions

Bill Bolen
04-15-2008, 2:03 PM
I'm looking to upgrade by year-end. I was set to go with the new Laguna until I read the epic of woe's from a member of another board. So with the Laguna out I'm undecide between the jet 1642 and the Nova DVR. I am leaning towards the DVR mainly because the head will rotate. I really use that feature a lot on my jet 1442. Makes bowl and box hollowing so much easier by just rotating the head 10 to 15 degrees. Sooo, to the DVR owners could you give me your thoughts? Good and bad points? Appreciate!...Bill...

Kevin McPeek
04-15-2008, 2:39 PM
I'm happy with mine. It has lots of power even on 120V. I've cored bowls that just barely clear the bed. The biggest downfall of it IMHO is the commercially available stands. I designed my own as a lot of others have too. I've never had a problem with it so I can't comment on tech/customer support. Between the Jet and the DVR I would say DVR all the way, but I might be a little biased. :D The only thing to keep in mind is if you plan on getting a captured hollowing rig you "might" need a bed extension.

Ken George
04-15-2008, 7:48 PM
I have had mine for about 3 years now and love it. My shop is small and the DVR is up against a wall and between 2 shelf units on either end. I love the rotating head it's a real back saver in my situation.

I also made my own stand.

The only problems I have had have been due to static charges while buffing. Tim Geist who is the Nova support person in West Virginia has been terrific in getting me back up and running in short order.

I now wear a ground strap while buffing!

I have never turned on a Jet so can't make a comparison there. I am very happy with my DVR.

Ken

Alan Tolchinsky
04-15-2008, 7:51 PM
The last time I looked at this lathe comparison I thought the Jet gave you a lot more for the money. The jet comes with a very heavy stand and I think has more hp and of course a longer bed. I would buy the Jet over the Nova just on those specs. alone.

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2008, 8:15 PM
I have the Nova DVR now for a 1 1/2 yrs. I love it. It has the same hp as the Jet, 1 3/4 hp on 115V and 2 hp on 220V. I have the bed extension on mine. I like the head swivel on mine also and it can turn 29" outboard. I like the fact that I can program it to soft, normal or hard so when I was a little afraid of catch on a piece of wood I used to put it on soft and with a catch it would stop before you destroyed everything. Push the off switch and then the on switch you are back in business. I have what most people call the sheet metal stand that came on mine. I enclosed it with a drop down door with a shelf for all my chucks, livecenters, etc. I sit this stand on four 2 X 8's which are bolted to the stand. I put 300 lbs of sand in the bottom and it doesn't move. It is solid and steady. I don't think you can go wrong with either but again I am biased. I turned on both the Jet and DVR but chose the DVR.

Gordon Seto
04-15-2008, 8:41 PM
I have the DVR and have also turned on a Jet 1642. IMO, you can't go wrong with either.
I don't have 220 V in my garage, the largest hp lathe with 110 V is the 1.75 hp DVR. It has direct drive, no belt, very smooth running and a very forgiving lathe. If I forget to unlock the spindle lock and turn on the lathe, nothing bad would happen. It has spoiled me and formed that habit. I am very nervous using others' lathes; I am afraid the owners definitely won't like it if they hear the belt squeal or smoke. I can also program the mode, in the soft mode, if the blank jams (such as improper coring), the lathe would stop. With 3 consecutive stops, I have to power up the lathe again. It is a safety feature when you are learning the coring.
Mine is not the XP, it lacks the 5 preset speeds. Changing speed is slow. I think the 5 rpm increment precise control is overkill. I don't mind if they change it to 50 rpm increment.
I didn't get the factory legs; I bolt mine to a bench. I also have the bed extension; I just slide the tailstock to the end when I am not using it.
The price of DVR has been raised, while Jet has lowered the sale price on 1642.

Dan Fera
04-15-2008, 9:01 PM
Got my DVR about 3 years ago when I was working at Woodcraft. We had one set up in the classroom and I used to noodle with it when business was slow. The employee discount was phenomenal so I went for it.

What can I say, I'm real disappointed. No power at 110V IMHO. So easy to stall when turning even a 12" bowl, can't even imagine turning outboard on it. (29" capacity, yeah, in their dreams.) Even a small catch stops the unit cold.

I thought I'd love the digital control for spindle speed changes, but it changes at a snails pace. I see the new controllers have "smart" features such as "favorite speeds", obviously listening to customer feedback because I can change pulley positions on my Jet mini almost as fast. Besides, I prefer variable sheave setups because the speed changes are instantaneous and they provide plenty of power at low RPMs.

If I was big into spindle turning or pens I might feel differently about the machine because it is real smooth and quiet running at high speeds, but I don't feel it has the torque in the motor that it is supposed to have, particularly at low RPMs required for large pieces. Might be improved if wired for 220V but I feel it should have more snot at 110V. The lathe was a replacement for a Nova 3000 I had that came with a bad spindle bearing. The motor in the 3000 had way more torque at 110V and would nearly lift me off my feet in a bad catch.

One last thing...motor, spindle, bearings. electronics...all in one headstock...what was I thinking?? The unit comes with a 5 year warranty, but what happens if something goes wrong with the motor after that? Or the computer? I for one don't want to find out. But I do wish I went in on the Generals that the local turning club bought at a discount. If I can get rid of the DVR that's what I'm going to get.

Gordon Seto
04-15-2008, 9:27 PM
Dan, I don't think your DVR is behaving normal. The lathe stalls because I set it to soft mode when I want this feature to kick in.
You work for Woodcraft, you should know how to get the problem solved. I think the time when you got your lathe, Woodcraft still had the 1 year (now 90 days) satisfaction guarantee. Don't they extend those same courtesy to employees? If employees can't resolve their problem, how can they service other customers?
Tim Geist gives excellent service. You should still have 2 years out of the 5 years warranty left. Exercise your rights.

Bill Bolen
04-15-2008, 9:57 PM
Gosh guys...I'd love to say that you make it an easy choice!! I'm leaning very heavily towards the DVR. Limited room in the shop (although I fit the 1442 in) and worries about moving the extra weight to the basement shop is a real concern. The only thing that worries me about the Nova DVR is the speed change. Wish they just used a knob to turn the speed up and down. Guess the punch buttons were more high-tech but I think it is a bit of a draw back. The swivel head is a big + for me. I rarely slide the headstock to the end to the end of the bed, but do constantly swivel the headstock for any kind of hollowing. Problem would be solved if the jet 1642 head swiveled. Guess that was what attracted me to the Laguna. The new grizz imitation swivels but I'm afraid of their reputation on the lathes although their bandsaw has been pretty decent. Your comments and insights are much appreciated! I will probably post this again in 1/2 a year or so when the upgrade is imminent.....Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Bill the up and down speed buttons are slow I will admit but I have the 5 speeds programmed in. I pretty much have them programmed for what I turn. I very seldom, if ever touch the up/down speed control. I can change the preset speeds in about 10 to 15 seconds. Although I am not in a big hurry anyway.

Andy Hoyt
04-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Here's the windup and the pitch.

He throws a changeup!

Don't ignore the 16" General (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43951).

And you guys thought I'd say the M word! :D

Dan Fera
04-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Dan, I don't think your DVR is behaving normal. The lathe stalls because I set it to soft mode when I want this feature to kick in.
You work for Woodcraft, you should know how to get the problem solved. I think the time when you got your lathe, Woodcraft still had the 1 year (now 90 days) satisfaction guarantee. Don't they extend those same courtesy to employees? If employees can't resolve their problem, how can they service other customers?
Tim Geist gives excellent service. You should still have 2 years out of the 5 years warranty left. Exercise your rights.

I haven't worked for Woodcraft for a couple of years and the store I worked at is now closed.

You have me thinking, though. I wasn't even aware of power modes on the machine. I doubt I ever read the manual. Ordinarily, if I can't understand a tool just by looking at it, I don't even want to own it. Maybe my lathe is set on "soft". I'll have to check out the manual (if I even have it).

I haven't turned in a while and have been getting depressed looking at all the burls, exotics and interesting firewood chunks I have lined up waiting to turn into birthday, wedding and housewarming gifts. Plus, my turning area occupies almost 1/3 of my usable shop space and needs to start earning its keep. I may get a whole new appreciation of the DVR and get inspired.;)

Another thing I have to think about is offsetting the head. I just turn like I learned and I start many pieces between centers before going to a chuck. But I never though about being able to put the lathe against the wall. Like most guys with basements shops, every square inch of floor space is dear.

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Dan I was just going to say maybe it is programmed for soft. I have only stalled mine on the soft setting. I core 15 1/2" bowls on normal and haven't had a problem. As I said I have my preset speeds set for what I turn so I really don't use the up down buttons. I use a faceplate when turning most of the time with the head turned to start turning and then go to a chuck.

I hope that it will be a easy fix for you Dan and by the way I leave mine on hard. I hope you get back in the turning saddle again. Let us know how it turns out with the lathe.

Gordon Seto
04-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Dan,

You can find the DVR 3000 manual on line:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR/downloads/Nova%20DVR%203000%20Manual_17%20November%2003.pdf

You can email Tim Geist for service:

file:///C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpgservice@teknatool.com
1-304-295-8166

There is DVR support group, from what I saw posted, Nova service has been quite good.

Hope it was just some programming set up problem. There may be several versions of the firmware. Get your version number from the power up screen, and see what Tim can do for you.

Bill Bolen
04-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Gee thanks Andy! And I thought I had it down to choosing between 2!.
Bernie, I didn't know about the preset speeds. That should help a bunch rather than suffering through a slow speed change every time...Bill..

Wayne Cannon
04-16-2008, 2:54 AM
Our local Woodcraft used DVRs for classes and for visiting turners from its introduction until about a year ago. They (including Allan Batty) all liked the DVR, with one exception -- speed changes were so annoyingly slow compared with other VS lathes they had used that it was a continuing complaint through all the demos. I don't know if this is still an issue with the current DVRs.

Kevin McPeek
04-16-2008, 9:49 AM
Well using the 5rpm increments it is a little slow but having the presets is nice becasue you can just jump to the closest and move from there if you need to. When you hold down the change buttons it does get moving very quickly in a couple seconds.
As far as the power is concerned I have never stalled mine while turning, but I have a few times while coring. But it has plenty of power to rip the tenon off a bowl while coring... at least thats what I hear ;)

Alan Tolchinsky
04-16-2008, 9:55 AM
Kevin, Your avitar is disturbing. :p What is it? If it's a pic of you, please accept my apologies. :D But I doubt it, just trying to cover the bases.

Ralph Lindberg
04-16-2008, 2:16 PM
Bill
I didn't check, but if he is talking about the General International 16-650, leave it off your list.

I looked at one when I was shopping and decided not to (on fit and finish issues of the unit I looked at). But later I read the FWW review and learned that while they have a 1-1/4 spindle, but that gets reduced to a 1 inch shaft inside.

Then someone I know bought one and had enough issues he made General take it back.

I would stick to your short list. It was my short list also. I went with the DVR-XP for two reasons size and price.

While swivel is nice, I have to re-align the head stock to the tail stock, when I do swing it. Not a huge issue, but it does add a few seconds to my time

Today, I might not make the same choice.

Ron Drew
04-16-2008, 3:03 PM
I think the DVR is a fine lathe. In the 7 or 8 months I've used it, it has never stalled, and it's solid as a rock, though I have it bolted to a heavy beech workbench. And the swivel head is a great feature.

Gordon Seto
04-16-2008, 5:54 PM
While swivel is nice, I have to re-align the head stock to the tail stock, when I do swing it. Not a huge issue, but it does add a few seconds to my time

This $17 gadget should be a big help:

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=113121&Category_Code=lathes-acc-mrstool

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2008, 8:02 PM
I use the gadget Gordon is talking about. Works slick and lines up everytime.

Kevin McPeek
04-16-2008, 8:20 PM
HEHE it is me in a "modified" form. I have an iMac and it has a program that runs its built in camera and it has all kinds of picture bending and twisting modes and this one makes me laugh so I figured it would be a good avatar.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Cool but scary.

Kevin McPeek
04-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Is this better?

Hilel Salomon
04-17-2008, 7:48 AM
Hi,

At the moment, I'm in VA, w/the DVR I bought at the Louisville show two years ago. At that time, they had announced some improvements over the previous model. I can stall mine, but only if I'm bowl coring a very large dry blank. I do like the swivel feature as it saves wear and tear on my back. You can switch the DVR easily to 220, but I have hesitated to do so, because Teknatool advises you to have some overload protection for the computer, That's easy enough on a 110 outlet, but much more complicated on the 220. I made my own stand and put it on a Delta mobile kit made for their heavy duty jointers. I believe you'll like it. If you are headed for the Richmond show, you might be able to get it cheaper. I not only got mine at 10% off but they also threw in an outboard rig (about $275 at that time), so I came out quite well.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Hilel.

D-Alan Grogg
04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I have had the DVR (not the XP) for about 4 years, now. I have it set up against a wall on a DIY built stand. The rotating headstock is very handy. The lathe runs smoothly with adequate power. I only have 2 complaints. First, I agree that the speed changes are somewhat slow. Second, this lathe generates significant RF interference (noise) on the AM radio band. This makes it impossible to listen to AM while turning.

I think Teknatool should offer upgrades/fixes for both of these issues for original DVR owners. Especially for the speed change issue because it is very easy to change out the control panel. Unfortunately, they haven't made this available (shame on them for that). I guess the most likely reason is that this would compete with the XP. Maybe I should make an inquiry to Tim Geist.

Bill Blasic
04-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Some older DVRs can be updated to the 5 presets, contact Tim. My 3520b also causes interference on the AM band, solution for me, I loaded all the songs I like on to the computer that I have in my turning area. Play MP3s all day long!

Daniel Heine
04-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Hello,

I can't say much about the DVR, but I am saving my pennys, and hope to be bringing home a new Nova 1624 in the very near future. I dropped the bomb on SWMBO last week, and now I juist have to keep chipping away until the she finally gives in. Until then, I'll keep on chugging with my Palmgren.

Dan Heine

Gordon Seto
04-18-2008, 3:39 PM
Hello,

I can't say much about the DVR, but I am saving my pennys, and hope to be bringing home a new Nova 1624 in the very near future. I dropped the bomb on SWMBO last week, and now I juist have to keep chipping away until the she finally gives in.

Daniel,

Why you have to wait for her to give in? Why not both?

You should drop the bomb with double the price, then you both give in a little. Instead of the 1624, you should ask for DVR. When she think you give in, she feels good. You spend a thousand or save a thousand. It is half full or half empty, depending on how you look at it.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-18-2008, 6:40 PM
Is this better?

Oh, yeah much better. :cool:

Alan Tolchinsky
04-18-2008, 6:43 PM
So devious, I like it! Pardon me while I write this down for future use.

Russ Peters
04-18-2008, 7:28 PM
Then since you saved so much on the lathe it will be easier to get a hollowing or coring tool at the same time. (if my wife ever reads this I am never going to get a new tool in my life)

Jerry Rhoads
04-19-2008, 10:49 PM
I have had my DVR for three and 1/2 years.
I got the RARE cast iron legs at the time also. Bolted to floor.
I would like to up grade it to XP.
I also did not change it to 220 because of the overload protection.
Only stalled a few times when coring.
But I recently have added a PM 3520B to my shop. I don't think I will have any more stalling when coring.
The DVR is awonderfull lathe.

Jerry

Ralph Lindberg
04-21-2008, 10:22 AM
....Second, this lathe generates significant RF interference (noise) on the AM radio band. This makes it impossible to listen to AM while turning..

RFI is a problem with every EVS lathe I have looked it.

The FCC considers them to not be a consumer item (despite the fact they are sold almost exclusively to consumers). So handling the problem is your problem.

I have looked at how the DVR-XP I have generates RFI, since I pick it up in the auto-radios, I know its broadcast. So, there really is nothing that can be done. Well, short of major brain surgery inside the lathe...