PDA

View Full Version : Computer Gurus I need help too

Dick Heifner
04-15-2008, 1:28 PM
Hi All,
I have a problem viewing some messages where the text runs off behind the right margin.
I've tried to resize the window and it still shows the same thing.
Any idea's?

Thanks, Dick

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-15-2008, 4:19 PM
Is your browser set to display 72 characters per line?

Dick Heifner
04-16-2008, 3:35 PM
Cliff, I don't know how to check for this.

Dick

Chuck Wintle
04-16-2008, 4:17 PM
Hi All,
I have a problem viewing some messages where the text runs off behind the right margin.
I've tried to resize the window and it still shows the same thing.
Any idea's?

Thanks, Dick
Just on this forum or in general internet viewing with the browser?

Jason Beam
04-16-2008, 4:26 PM
This happens on this forum since the ads went in. The underlying HTML/CSS is not doing such a good job keeping things aligned nicely. I've found clicking the "quick links" item on the top that causes the menu to show knocks everything over to fit in the window. That's the only fix _we_ can do. The code would have to be changed to fix it for good.

Dick Heifner
04-17-2008, 1:35 PM
This happens on quite a few sites for general internet viewing . I haven't noticed the ads causing problem's yet.

Is your browser set to display 72 characters per line?

This sounds like the problem but I don't know how to correct it.
Thanks,
Dick

Jason Beam
04-17-2008, 2:18 PM
Dick, as far as I am aware, there's no setting for that. I don't know what Cliff is talking about.

There's a resolution setting, which might make fonts smaller, but that's not really fixing the cause of the problem. If your resolution is already higher than 1024x768, changing it won't fix the issue that _I_ see on SMC. You may see something different, though. But be aware that increasing the resolution makes everything smaller so if you have trouble reading tiny text, this may give you more problems than solutions.

michael p williams
04-17-2008, 2:48 PM
Can you do a screen capture of the entire screen and post it?

Dick Heifner
04-18-2008, 1:58 PM
Michael,
When I capture and paste it looks normal? The text on the right side is under the bar. Thanks, Dick

The Wood Whisperer is proud to announce the first annual Woodworker’s Safety Week. Every year, during the first full week of May, I hope the woodworking world will join me in taking some time to refresh our memories about the importance of safety and proper techniques. Most of you probably know that I am by no means preachy when it comes to safety. I am a big believer in personal responsibility. But with so many new woodworkers joining us every day, its important to reinforce the things that may seem like common sense to a seasoned woodworker. And even seasoned woodworkers can always use a refresher course. So I would like to think of Woodworker’s Safety Week as just that, a refresher course on safety.
Now here’s a little back story for you. A few weeks ago, Brent (a friend of the show) emailed me some pictures of the aftermath of his jointer injury. I know the jointer is dangerous and I thought I had an idea of what kind of damage that tool might do. But there was something about actually seeing the pictures that had a profound affect on me. It made me realize how easily something can go wrong, even when we think we are safe. And that was all the inspiration I needed to put something like this in motion. I will start the week off in May with Brent’s story and his pictures. Don’t worry, they will be text links, so if you don’t want to look at them you won’t have to.

Matt Meiser
04-18-2008, 3:30 PM
You can do a screen capture by pressing the print screen button which copies an image of your screen to the clipboard. Then you can paste it into Paint or another image tool to save it.

Peter Stahl
04-19-2008, 8:27 AM
There is also a really easy & free screen saver called ScreenHunter. Much easier and quicker than Matt's method which I used to use all the time. Screen Hunter will let you select just the part you want.