PDA

View Full Version : laminate question - can it be rolled ?

Michael Wildt
04-15-2008, 1:13 PM
Hi,

I need to purchase a sheet of laminate, but I have a small car. Is it possible to roll a laminate sheet ? ofcourse keeping a big diameter in the process.

Thanks
Michael

Jason Beam
04-15-2008, 1:18 PM
Yes.

Especially if it's warm.

I wouldn't go more than about 18" diameter, though. Around 24" i start getting nervous.

Todd Hoppe
04-15-2008, 1:22 PM
The home depot near me has a little jig that the built for just that. Its basically a large near-cylindrical wood form. they slide the laminate in and it bends into a circle. They then wrap it in heavy plastic wrap.

Michael Wildt
04-15-2008, 1:26 PM
Excellent, thanks guys.

Michael

Doug Shepard
04-15-2008, 2:13 PM
Yup - The first time I ever bought some was around 20 years ago when I was driving a little used Honda Civic Wagon. No problem.

John Lanciani
04-15-2008, 4:08 PM
The last 12' piece I ordered came in a 16" x 16" box. No problem rolling it, just be careful to hold on tight when you're ready to unroll it.

John

Per Swenson
04-15-2008, 5:00 PM
The last 12' piece I ordered came in a 16" x 16" box. No problem rolling it, just be careful to hold on tight when you're ready to unroll it.

John

Yep,

Unroll it flat on the floor or on 12' 2x4s on horses.

Per

Michael Wildt
04-15-2008, 9:28 PM
Update

I got it home fine. Excellent with that rolling device and some tape.

Got some additional question. I have a router pattern bit, would that be ok to use or is a dedicated laminate bit preferred ?

The hardness of the sheet sure looks like it could shatter when cut. What is the preferred way to rough cut it to size ? (use the router or just a hack saw blade)

Michael

Matt Ocel
04-15-2008, 9:56 PM
Update

Got some additional question. I have a router pattern bit, would that be ok to use or is a dedicated laminate bit preferred ?

Michael
Micheal -
A flush trim laminate bit works the best. To rough cut to size I set up saw horses, put a sheet of partical board on top and use that as my straight edge, roll the laminate stock out on top, clamp it down with rubber tipped squeese clamps and trim away. I've also cut it on the table saw, although you have to watch out for it creeping under the rip fence,

Michael Wildt
04-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Micheal -
A flush trim laminate bit works the best. To rough cut to size I set up saw horses, put a sheet of partical board on top and use that as my straight edge, roll the laminate stock out on top, clamp it down with rubber tipped squeese clamps and trim away. I've also cut it on the table saw, although you have to watch out for it creeping under the rip fence,

Thanks Matt

I have a 90487 bit from Rockler. Looks like that could work.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11322&filter=90847

The other laminate bits I see seems to be missing the bearing. I'm guessing the solid carbide ones could burn the side if not careful.

Michael

Dale Lesak
04-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Hi Michael, you can cut High Pressure Laminate on your table saw (good side up) I have a piece of angle aluminum (3/4) I put against the fence to keep the laminate from slipping under the fence. I made mine to clamp on the fence but double sided tape will hold it in place. you can also use a Plexiglas scribe to cut it. they make a regular tool with a carbide tip that dose the same thing only lasts longer. just scribe it a couple of times after your through the color and fold it over good side to good side. it'll snap in two. try to give your self at least 1/2" oversize to allow for mis alignment. The solid carbide bits work OK just don't press hard against the edge. they make a spray lube for that type of bit. It is supposed to keep the bit from marring the laminate. :) Hope this helps a little Dale

Per Swenson
04-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Or,

You can cut it with a circular saw and a straight edge.

Granted today I use a festool and guide rail, but way back

I tired of the logistics of the table saw, and burning two sides with a router bit.

I simply lay the laminate on rigid foam or scrap sheet of mdf,

set the blade height to almost nothing and cut it.

Fast and simple.

Per

Michael Wildt
04-16-2008, 7:57 AM
Thanks Dale.