PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever made a disc sander for your lathe?

Mack Cameron
04-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I'd like to make a disc sander for my D/R model 1460 lathe.

Have you ever? It seems like it would be a simple thing to make.

IMAGINATION isn't my strong suit, but I can follow instructions real well! After all, I am a husband of 26+ years.:D

Lance Norris
04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Yes I have and it works well. I used a 6" faceplate with self adheasive discs. I had my friend at work make me a table with a 1" diameter post welded to a 8x8" piece of 1/4" plate for the table. It fits into the tool rest(banjo). The nice thing is my lathe is variable speed.

Scott Hubl
04-15-2008, 1:03 PM
Mack,
I also have a Delta 1460 lathe.
I got it from my FIL and it came with MOST of the old accessories for it from back in the 1940's.
EXCEPT the Disk Sander Attachment.:(

I see them listed on Ebay sometimes but get way up there in pricing.

It consists of the disk(easy enough to make using a faceplate) and had a table that tilted and slid and locked on the ways.( that too could be made out of wood.)

I want an Original myself as I'm restoring the complete lathe as more of a showpiece. I have the Jack Shaft(16 speeds) the original stand(had to go to Ohio to get that) Outboard turning stand, 2 banjos for the 24" long tool rest, the steady rest,the compound slide rest, chucks, plus many others.

If you go to OWWM you can see a pic of the sander table mounted on a 1460.
Heres one pic I found there.
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/3758-A.jpg

Good luck making one.

Bruce Pennell
04-15-2008, 1:09 PM
Just copied this picture from CL. Thought I'd make one.

Mack Cameron
04-15-2008, 3:55 PM
Mack,
I also have a Delta 1460 lathe.
I got it from my FIL and it came with MOST of the old accessories for it from back in the 1940's.
EXCEPT the Disk Sander Attachment.:(

I see them listed on Ebay sometimes but get way up there in pricing.

It consists of the disk(easy enough to make using a faceplate) and had a table that tilted and slid and locked on the ways.( that too could be made out of wood.)

I want an Original myself as I'm restoring the complete lathe as more of a showpiece. I have the Jack Shaft(16 speeds) the original stand(had to go to Ohio to get that) Outboard turning stand, 2 banjos for the 24" long tool rest, the steady rest,the compound slide rest, chucks, plus many others.

If you go to OWWM you can see a pic of the sander table mounted on a 1460.
Heres one pic I found there.

Good luck making one.Hi Scott; there was one on eBay last week. It went for close to $100. What would you feel would be a fair price?

Do I see you posting on Woodturning Design?

I posted my lathe on OWWM a little while ago, serial #61-5066. I purchased it just prior to Christmas, used of course. A steady rest, and an outboard turning stand came with it.

Scott Hubl
04-15-2008, 4:54 PM
Mack,
I was bidding on one that was a new in box item NOS (new old stock) and I stopped bidding at about $250.00.
It sold for well over $300.00.

IF I had saw the one you saw I'd have jumped all over it if it was Complete.
The old original accessories are costly ,once in awhile you see a deal and you have to grab it.
I only have a few more accessories to collect and i'll basically have everyone that was available.
Then I will do a major complete restoration and have it sitting in my shop. I may use it to cut threads on lidded boxes , and some other small stuff.

Yes I post there, I subscribe to the Magazine and wish it was utilized more.:mad:
I got in on a Deal at WoodturninzDOTcom and got ALL the backissues for just over $50.00:D It was a weekly deal they ran.
I have 7 lathes, opps 6 I did sell the Jet 1236 recently.
I'll be keeping the Delta 1460, I think there just COOL:cool: and a workhorse for its 12" swing.
Keeping my New 3520B too.
And I may end up getting a Jet 1220VS - But in NO rush to get one. I'm giving my Brother my Jet Mini.

Richard Madison
04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Yes, for Jet 1642.

Ben Richardson
05-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Bruce
I just saw the photo you posted showing a sanding table for a lathe. Did you make one? Where did the pict. come from? Are there any plans drawings?