PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this plane?

Mark Engel
04-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I was hoping that one of knowledgeable folks could identify this old wood body plane for me. It is not in very good condition. It does look like it has seen a lot of use and abuse.

I took a close up picture if the front end to show some of the markings, although I can't be sure that these markings are 'factory originals'.

The word 'Tyroli' is stamped many times one the front side and once on the back side. (Maybe the previuos owners name?).

The number '612' is also stamped on the front edge. Also, along the top of the front edge is stamped 'Sargent & Co US'.

I haven't found anything on the internet to indicat that Sargent ever made an all wood plane. There is one that looks just like mine currently listed on EBAY (Item number: 250236546931).

Anyway, if anyone has a clue what this is, please let me know. TIA.

Robert Rozaieski
04-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Also, along the top of the front edge is stamped 'Sargent & Co US'.

I'd bet it's a Sargent ;) . They did make woodies and they turn up frequently. Looks like it could be a nice user.

Jim Koepke
04-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I believe this is what is commonly called a coffin plane.

They were made by many makers, just like a #4 size plane.

Bob Smalser posted a thread on how to resole a wooden plane. That would likely work on one of these.

jim

Robert Rozaieski
04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Yes, a coffin smoothing plane. Not because it was used on coffins (though it may have been) but because it is shaped like a coffin.

Mark Singer
04-15-2008, 8:48 PM
Its a coffin smoother . I have a few and one I modified by rounding the bottom for smoothing a coopered door pair. I think the iron may be replaced with a Sargent. Mine are German or Swiss and the shape is the same

Mark Engel
04-17-2008, 8:58 AM
Thanks, guys.

I guess I'll clean this up, sharpen the blade and see if I can't get some use out of it.

Lynn Dowd
04-18-2008, 8:06 PM
I have a reprint from a 1911 Sargent catalog, and it shows a model No. 612 coffin smoother like yours. The listing shows it as being 8 inches long and offered with double irons ( iron and chipbreaker ) in 1 3/4, 1 7/8, 2, 2 1/8, and 2 1/4 widths, if I interpret the listing correctly.

Lynn

David DeCristoforo
04-19-2008, 12:34 AM
"Sargent & Co US"
Manufacturer

"612"
Model Number

"Tyroli"
Either the name of the plane's owner or a character in World of Warcraft