PDA

View Full Version : Mpls/St Paul plywood source?

Al Willits
04-15-2008, 9:20 AM
Just on the off chance someone from the twin city area has a source for furniture grade plywood and would like to share..

Looking for 5-10 sheets of white oak, VC plain cut 3/4" plywood, A-1 and
A-4 would be nice, but A-2 would work.

Youngbloods lumber gives the Minn woodworkers guild and pretty good discount, but considering the price of plywood, a better deal would be appreciated.

tia
Al

Scott Schwake
04-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Al, have you ever bought prefinished plywood in the cities? I've been looking for some prefinished Maple, Youngbloods has it, but I was looking for someplace closer to the SW metro.

Scott

Matt Ocel
04-15-2008, 8:33 PM
Al -

It might be hard to beat Youngbloods, and Lake Elmo Hardwood is now closed. You can try a local millwork supplier, but I recon they get it from Youngbloods anyway.

Kevin Groenke
04-15-2008, 8:57 PM
You might try Siwek, they have an odd assortment of stuff, on the odd chance that they have what you need it would be a bit cheaper. We get our sheet stock from Industrial Lumber and Plywood but they don't sell retail. Perhaps you know somebody with an acct? Industrial is usually a bit less than Youngblood.

Youngblood is great, but it's really too bad that we're down to 1 good full service hardwood/lumber retailer in the TC's. It's probably my imagination but it seems YB's prices have gone up and stock has gone down since Elmo closed.

Go Wild!!

-kg

Matt Ocel
04-15-2008, 9:05 PM
You can also try Pacific Mutual Door in Roseville or J.B. Omeara in Burnsville, but I believe they may be wholesale only.

Matt Ocel
04-15-2008, 9:12 PM
Better yet try this. Maple Grove

http://www.metrohardwoods.com/index.cfm

Al Willits
04-15-2008, 9:17 PM
Up to now the plywood I've gotten is been Borg stuff and 10-12 sheets from when Elmo closed down, the TV cabinet I'm making now is my first real furniture piece and its all solid oak.

I'll check Siwek and see what they have, I also have a Tax ID and probably could try for a account at Industrial Lumber, but The Furniture by Bear business is gonna have to wait till I actually can build something to sell, so I'm not sure the 8-10 sheets I need would be worth going though the hoops to get a business account, not sure if they have a minimum requirement either, might not hurt to look into it though, thanks.

Scott, this is my first real attempt at furniture grade plywood, other than Elmo, I have checked a few other lumber yards and with the wood workers guild discount, Youngbloods has been by far cheaper, I think getting that business account or discount of some sort is a must if your gonna buy any great amount.

Might be a good idea to see if several want to buy and see what kind of discount you/we can get for quanity, I think Youngbloods give a discount for 5 or more sheets and wondering if that discount gets larger with more quantities?

Al

Steve Campbell
04-15-2008, 9:18 PM
Al have you tried "Forest Products Supply" The address is 2650 Hwy 61 Maplewood. It is between 694 and Hwy 36. Just south of Beam Ave.
I'm not sure of there sheet goods but I know they have a good supply of hardwood. They have a cabinet shop there so they also sell shorts. I go there once and a while when I'm looking for odds and ends. Try it.
Phone number 651-770-2834

Steve

Simon Dupay
04-16-2008, 2:13 AM
Al have you tried "Forest Products Supply" The address is 2650 Hwy 61 Maplewood. It is between 694 and Hwy 36. Just south of Beam Ave.
I'm not sure of there sheet goods but I know they have a good supply of hardwood. They have a cabinet shop there so they also sell shorts. I go there once and a while when I'm looking for odds and ends. Try it.
Phone number 651-770-2834

Steve
I work at forest products and we can get you just about any kind of plywood you want we have a 10% discount on lumber (not plywood) for woodworker's guild.

Scott Schwake
04-16-2008, 1:31 PM
Might be a good idea to see if several want to buy and see what kind of discount you/we can get for quanity, I think Youngbloods give a discount for 5 or more sheets and wondering if that discount gets larger with more quantities?

Al, If you get serious about this I would be interested. I am planning to attempt my first major project this fall, and would like to try prefinished plywood (I know YB has it) after watching Norm use it in his kitchen project. I think I'll need somewhere in the range of 5-10 sheets. Scott

Al Willits
04-16-2008, 9:45 PM
Al, If you get serious about this I would be interested. I am planning to attempt my first major project this fall, and would like to try prefinished plywood (I know YB has it) after watching Norm use it in his kitchen project. I think I'll need somewhere in the range of 5-10 sheets. Scott

Yes I am, we need at least 5+ sheets and a buddy at work needs 4-5 sheets, we're looking at 3/4" white oak A-1 and A-4 as I think that's the only grades YB has, let me know what kind you need and I'll check, we're thinking some time this month will prob work.

Once we get a total I can call YB's and the other places that were recommended and see what their prices are.
Thanks for the suggestions all

btw anybody know what a sheet of 3/4" VC plywood weighs??
Al

Al Willits
04-17-2008, 4:53 PM
Doing a bit of research and finding that 6-25 sheets is one of the discount breaks at YB's, also 3/4" white oak VC plywood goes for a little under a $100 for plain cut and about $80 for rotary cut.
Haven't had much time of yet to compare but doesn't appear it's cheaper anywhere else so far, but still have a couple places to look.

One downtown lumberyard wanted over $225 per sheet, must be pretty good stuff...:)

Thanks for the help
Thinking a sheet of oak plywood weights about 60 or 70 pounds??

Al