PDA

View Full Version : Any naturally green wood species?

Brandon Shew
04-15-2008, 8:17 AM
Is there any wood species that is naturally green (any shade) in color when dried?

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-15-2008, 8:46 AM
Yah there is.
This question was asked and answered about a year ago here. I forget the answer

I have seen plenty of the stuff in fire wood piles locally in NJ so I'm sure it's not a rare species. The green I see isn't throughout it's more incidental through the tree.

David Duke
04-15-2008, 8:49 AM
Poplar has quite a bit of green through it at times.

jerry cousins
04-15-2008, 9:26 AM
most green woods turn brown after a time - vera wood & greenheart. as david said poplar can get very green and holds the color - i think lignum vitae also.

jerry

Chuck Wintle
04-15-2008, 9:28 AM
Is there any wood species that is naturally green (any shade) in color when dried?

Sumac? I saw a person turning a piece on a lathe once and it was a nice shade of green.

Travis Gauger
04-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Poplar will hold its green for a long time.

Chris Padilla
04-15-2008, 1:58 PM
All the green I've seen in poplar seems to turn brown over time. I love the green color but my experience is the opposite of Travis.

Ed Labadie
04-15-2008, 2:15 PM
Black Locust is a greenish yellow.

Ed

Bill Wyko
04-15-2008, 3:39 PM
Paloverde has a light green hue to it.

Jim Becker
04-15-2008, 4:13 PM
Poplar has quite a bit of green through it at times.

Yellow poplar heart wood tends to be green when fresh cut, but turns to a nice brown when exposed to UV and normal oxidation. I've used a couple thousand board feet of poplar in the past five years (all off our property) and to a board, it's all become "not-green" as described.

Rick Gooden
04-15-2008, 4:44 PM
Sassafras has a green tint to it when surfaced, I don't know how it holds up. You could mix a light stain with transtint and probably come up with what you want.

Peter Quinn
04-15-2008, 4:47 PM
Any light wood dyed with green aniline dye will be very green for a very long time. Poplar turns brownish gray with green under tones that to my eye look jaundised more than pleasant.

Tom Walz
04-15-2008, 5:42 PM
You might check The Woodbook (see below).

About 800 pages and half of them are color photos of wood grains cut various ways.

“The American Woods is the life work of R.B. Hough, who assembled an astounding collection of more than 350 species and varieties of trees beginning in 1888. This updated edition emphasizes the scope and beauty of his work with two pages per tree: on the right, a gorgeous photo of three paper-thin slices taken from various points on the tree (radial, cross and tangential); on the left, a portrait of the tree's uses (i.e. tools, food, shelter), habitat, availability and a physical description in English, French and German. The subtle and striking range of colors, grains and patterns found in the same tree, let alone the same family, is truly remarkable. This is not a front to back read, but one that encourages haphazard flipping over time. Best to start with the introduction, though, which touches upon deforestation, colonialization, immigration, and the logging that decimated the seemingly inexhaustible American woods quite noticeably by the latter 1800s. With context, the book becomes a thick, visually-arresting reminder that consumption and conservation should go hand in hand.

-- Steven Leckart

The Woodbook
Romeyn Beck Hough, 1883-1913, 1938
Taschen 25th Anniversary, 2007
$27
Available from Amazon”

Chris Padilla
04-15-2008, 5:49 PM
Any light wood dyed with green aniline dye will be very green for a very long time. Poplar turns brownish gray with green under tones that to my eye look jaundised more than pleasant.

LOL! Jaundice.... :D

Mitch Richardson
04-20-2008, 9:57 PM
Mulberry root here in Pennsylvania is an amazing bronze green. Really unique. Very prone to chip out, kinda pain to work with. Finishes nicely, lots of depth. If your interested I could get a pic.

Matt Johnston
07-09-2015, 7:03 PM
Verawood has a naturally green colour, sometimes as deep as forest green. You'll likely have to find an exotic wood place though, and it's possibly the most expensive wood I've seen per bd ft. Absolutely gorgeous though!

John C Bush
07-09-2015, 7:16 PM
Visited wood carvers "studio" while vacationing in Bali and in addition to the incredible carving artistry many of the pieces, mostly masks, were done in a green and ivory(ish), very hard wood. Can't recall what species but exotic foe our neck of the wood.

Martin Wasner
07-09-2015, 7:17 PM
Pressure treated pine?

Allan Speers
07-09-2015, 7:40 PM
Some Alder can have a greenish cast, due to mineral deposits. - but not the entire surface.

For what possible reason is this question being asked?

Yonak Hawkins
07-09-2015, 11:48 PM
I seem to remember that magnolia has a somewhat green cast to it but I may be thinking of the green knots . . .

Depending on your purposes, you could dye lumber green.

Wayne Jolly
07-11-2015, 5:37 PM
Lignum Vitae?

Wayne