PDA

View Full Version : Canadian distributors

Bill Jermyn
04-15-2008, 6:35 AM
I'm fairly new at laser engraving, been in business less than a year. I'm finding most of my customers give me only a few days lead time (at most). More often than I'd like, the Canadian distributors I deal with don't carry what I need in stock, some are quoting me 2 week delivery. I have a customer who wants 25 8X10 plaques with 6X8 plates (he needs them in 3 days). None of my distributors have them in stock. How do you Canadian guys deal with this? Do you deal directly with American manufacturers, or do you carry a large inventory yourselves? Being a pretty small new business, I'm trying to avoid that if possible. I don't really want to stock inventory that may or may not sell in the next 3 years. Am I using the wrong distributors?

Joe Chritz
04-15-2008, 7:21 AM
I don't do commercial laser products and am not in Canada but your problem isn't unique to just Canada.

Cheap, fast, good. You customers may pick any two.

When you work out price quotes add on the cost of expedited shipping and give them a quote for different time frames of delivery.

If you don't have a few items that are used a lot it is difficult to stock for everything. Some items you can stock or make easy, like square wooden stock or cast acrylic but polished marble can get pricey.

Joe

Vicky Orsini
04-15-2008, 8:11 AM
For things like wood plaques and standard awards, Norkim Distributors carries a large inventory and they'll overnight stuff to you if need be.

Richard Rumancik
04-15-2008, 9:37 AM
Bill, it's pretty hard to stock material like plaques other than maybe a couple for one-off emergencies. If someone needs 25 plaques with three days notice, it unfortunately hints of bad planning on his/her part. In this case you could tell them the price is x, but overnight delivery from USA is extra. If they still want it, it may encourage them to plan further ahead next time. If you try to stock, you won't have the right size, right color, or right quantity. Having 19 pieces in stock doesn't help if he wants 25. (Then you will find you can't get 6 more anyway of the same style.)

With wooden plaques (no metal plates) you might be able to try a cabinet-making business. Generally they can turn flat plaques around fairly quickly to custom sizes, as they are often very similar to "drawer fronts". If you have a cabinet manufacturer near you it would not hurt to take a few samples and see them. You will need to decide and record quality issues (like acceptable knots, imperfections, color match) as well as finishing so you are on the same page. Some of these manufacturers are used to doing low quantities as it is often custom work for a specific builder.

Tony Lenkic
04-15-2008, 9:58 AM
Bill,

Here are some I know of.

1 - Norkim Distributors (Vicky allready listed)
2 - Caldwell Recognition
3 - Tropar (Full line JDS products)
4 - PDU Canada
5 - Elite Awards
6 - St. Johns Trophies
7 - Discount Trophy ( in Montreal)

PM me if you need contact info.

Richard Rumancik
04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Bill, are you already dealing with Canadian Engravers Supply? (Cesco) They are not too far from you.

Daniel Cline
04-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Bill,

Here is a place near you that I believe stocks what you are looking for.
I have ordered from them and Kevin is very helpful.
But I agree with the others, these customers need to plan a bit better or pay the price! :eek:

Richwood Gift and Award Sales Inc.
8 Gilkison St.
Elora, ON N0B 1S0
Canada's Distributor of
LaserGrade Wood and Marble
1-877-215-8936 toll free
519-846-2218 local
1-519-846-2801 fax
www.richwoodline.com (http://www.richwoodline.com/)

Bill Jermyn
04-15-2008, 8:31 PM
Thanks for all the responses. A lot of the suppliers are new to me, I'll follow them up. It would be nice if customers planned ahead, but they seem to come in thinking they're in a 1 hour photo shop, and I hate to turn down business. And this customer is a non-profit to boot and of course they wanted to lowball the price.

Bill Cunningham
04-15-2008, 9:07 PM
Standard customer expectations...
If I wanted it tomorrow, I would have ordered it tomorrow:D

Kevin Warren
04-23-2008, 7:04 PM
Richwood in Elora carries marble, wood etc. www.richwoodline.com