PDA

View Full Version : Bessey Tradesmen Bar Clamps

Rob Will
04-15-2008, 12:57 AM
I recently purchased some Bessey Tradesmen Heavy-Duty bar clamps at Woodcraft.
The clamps now have a Red and Black molded rubber handle. ???
Here's a pic of the clamp with the wooden handle. I can't find a pic of the new molded handle.
Is this something new for Bessey and do all Tradesmen bar clamps now have the molded handle? (I like it).

Rob

Rob Will
04-15-2008, 9:12 AM
Bessey Customer Service says that all of the Tradesmen clamps are now available with the red/black molded composite handle.

If I understand correctly, you take the old part number and add " +2K " to the end.

For example (7" deep, 48" long):
TG7.048 = wooden handle
TG7.048+2K = 2-part composite handle

I find that this new handle is much easier to grip.
Anybody know if it adds to the price?

Rob

Rob Will
04-15-2008, 9:15 PM
You mean that NOBODY has seen this new handle?
Woodcraft has a whole row of them but it is in only one size.
Do you know anybody who sells other sizes?
Who has a good deal going on Bessey's Tradesmen bar clamps?

Rob

Jim Becker
04-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry, Rob...this is the first I've heard of it...all mine are wood.

Rob Will
04-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks Jim, I was beginning to think that nobody used Bessey clamps out there;):o.

FWIW, Bessey customer service says that the 2-part composite handle is available on many other clamps including the K-body models.

The "2K" handle is available OEM on new clamps and is also sold individually as a replacement part.

IMHO, it is a lot easier to grip the new soft rubber covered handle. This might be a hidden bonus for those with limited hand strength or Arthritis.

Rob

Will Blick
04-16-2008, 1:25 AM
Rob, you are not kidding.... the new grips make a big difference. I think they saw how effective the Stanley handles were, and copied them, they are superb.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FLjEdANnL._SS500_.jpg

Now, how does one go about replacing the wood handles on their K bodies? Does anyone sell them? Or must you order direct from Bessey?

Rob Will
04-16-2008, 1:53 AM
Rob, you are not kidding.... the new grips make a big difference. I think they saw how effective the Stanley handles were, and copied them, they are superb. Now, how does one go about replacing the wood handles on their K bodies? Does anyone sell them? Or must you order direct from Bessey?

I am afraid to ask what the price would be.
It sounds like dealers can order the part (?).
Not sure if Bessey sells parts direct.

Images: http://www.besseytools.com/tradezone/ImageDB2007/Bar_Clamps/

Catalog (.pdf, page 22):
http://www.besseytools.com/Bessey_Tools.pdf

That Stanley clamp w/ composite handle looks pretty good too.
Here's some pics of the Bessey's with the "2K" handle.

Rob

Jim Becker
04-16-2008, 9:53 AM
I can see how that new handle would be valuable just from a comfort and ease of use standpoint. Anything that gives one a little better/easier grip is always welcome, especially when "positional dynamics" require one to use their weaker (or sweaty) hand to adjust the clamp tension. ;)

Will Blick
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
From Bessey CS....bummer...

I am sorry but the K-Body handles are not replaceable. The way that the arm is assembled you cannot replace the screw and handle.

Mikail Khan
04-16-2008, 7:08 PM
You mean that NOBODY has seen this new handle?
Woodcraft has a whole row of them but it is in only one size.
Do you know anybody who sells other sizes?
Who has a good deal going on Bessey's Tradesmen bar clamps?

Rob

Hartville's online store has them.

MK

glenn bradley
04-16-2008, 8:14 PM
Rockler carries them the same way. Seem well made.

Rob Will
04-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Hartville's online store has them.

MK

I don't see any of the larger sizes of the Bessey Tradesmen bar clamp at either Rockler or Hartville Tool (??).

Rob