PDA

View Full Version : On the wall in front of my tablesaw...

Bryan Berguson
04-14-2008, 9:56 PM
This may be a tad dramatic but it's a good continuous reminder to be safe. Actually, the boy looks alot like my son which really drives the point home.

Be safe!

Bryan

Brian Effinger
04-14-2008, 10:34 PM
It remindes me of the safety reminder in my college shop: a 12" long piece of hardwood (about the size of a 2x4) embedded in the wall behind the operator about 8 or 9 feet off of the floor. Every time I was in that room of the shop, I saw it hanging up there.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-14-2008, 11:16 PM
I can turn around and see the cracked window behind my saw. I'm leaving it cracked and found the piece of wood that did it which resides on the sill below the crack.

How many more of these lessons do you suppose there are? And not a lot of time to get ready for the pop quiz.

Joe Chritz
04-14-2008, 11:40 PM
We used to have a poster on the way out of the "zoo" as our locker room was affectionately called. It drove home a similar point in a similar fashion.

Complacency is a killer. Whatever it takes to off set it is OK by me.

Joe

Jason Beam
04-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Not at ALL trying to start anything, but ... where's your splitter and/or blade guard for that saw?

Travis Gauger
04-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Not at ALL trying to start anything, but ... where's your splitter and/or blade guard for that saw?

Splitter? Blade gaurd? What are those?

Steven DeMars
04-15-2008, 1:03 PM

It appears he is cutting Styrofoam sheets which will collapse under the weight/pressure of the guard and he will gain zero benefit from a splitter with Styrofoam sheets. . .

See, a way to save face is always available for the realist! :p

Bryan Berguson
04-15-2008, 3:10 PM

I'm in the group of "never use them". See why I need the poster!:)

Bryan

John Gornall
04-15-2008, 3:21 PM
The owner of the first shop I worked in long ago was very safety concious. He trained us well. He made a template of a hand with a finger missing and spray painted these hands in red on all the machines - a strong message.

I have an industrial specialty saw and there are 2 drawings on the front showing a hand with a blade cutting off 4 fingers.

A little reminder when starting a machine is a good thing.

Bill Wyko
04-15-2008, 3:37 PM
Words to live by.:D

Richard M. Wolfe
04-15-2008, 3:56 PM
A splitter or blade guard for what I did wouldn't have kept it from happening. I won't elaborate other than to say - I didn't know you couldn't do that.....but now I do. :o

Tim Malyszko
04-15-2008, 5:09 PM
Everytime I pick up one of my Grr-Rippers and see the big chunk missing out of the bottom, it reminds me that the big missing chunk would have been my hand that went through the router when the piece I was routing slipped had I not been using a Grr-Ripper or any other type of push block.

As stupid as some people think the "Safety First" signs and similar signs are, simple reminders like this keeps saftey in the forefront. One can never be too safe.

Per Swenson
04-15-2008, 6:32 PM
Or,

You could nail one of these to the wall.

You know, for anybody else besides your self who might want

to turn on your tools.

Per

Lee DeRaud
04-15-2008, 7:55 PM
You could nail one of these to the wall.Hey, that's my push-stick! Been missing for weeks...where'd you find it?

Norman Pyles
04-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Per, now that's something to remind one, to keep their hands clear.:)

Wayne Cannon
04-20-2008, 12:29 AM
When I was in the Air Force, the table saw in each base's woodshop had a photo of a severed finger, wedding band attached, as a reminder to be careful.

John Schreiber
04-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Or,

You could nail one of these to the wall.

You know, for anybody else besides your self who might want

to turn on your tools.

Per
Wow, I couldn't find that after the accident. It's been taking me hours to type these notes one handed. Could you send that back?:eek::eek:

Matt Ocel
04-20-2008, 1:07 PM
Thanks Per -

I think now I'm going to sell my table saw and take up knitting.