PDA

View Full Version : Allow me to humbly present....

David Peters
04-14-2008, 9:40 PM
...the first piece of furniture I've built. It will sit in my livingroom, with a flat-screen TV on top, and CDs and DVDs in the drawers. The design is similar in style to my other livingroom furniture (from http://www.vermontfurnituredesign.com/mis_ocas.html), although this design is my own.

The piece is solid Cherry and quilted Maple veneer, finished with
Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. It stands 24" tall by 20" deep by 62" long. The joinery is primarily Dominos, and it uses Blum hardware for the drawer runners. [I've recently been bitten by the Festool addiction -- wow those tools are fantastic]

I learned so much in making this piece, with major inspiration and education coming from Nahm, David Marks, and the fine craftsmen here at SMC. The vast majority of the techniques that were used to turn 12/4 Cherry and sheets of Maple into furniture were brand-new to me, and I couldn't have done it without a lot of help and inspiration from everyone. I never thought I'd be able to learn how to use a vacuum press, mill straight and flat lumber from rough stock, do loose tenon joinery, install drawers so precisely, glue up a flat panel, and use a hand plane, just to name a few.

As I imagine is always the case, but perhaps doubly so with those of us who are new to woodworking, there are a few things I would have done differently if I could have done it over. But for me the experience of learning so many new skills was the truly rewarding part of the project.

I would greatly appreciate comments and suggestions to improve for the future -- but please be kind, as this is my first attempt. I hope to get better in the future and continue to be inspired by all of you.

[Apologies for the amateur photography... there's no room for it yet in the livingroom]

http://images.pez.multiply.com/image/2/photos/262/500x500/2/IMG_0509.JPG?et=xRE23M5MrxSd5nz6UlXw7Q&nmid=91189361
http://images.pez.multiply.com/image/2/photos/262/500x500/3/IMG_0510.JPG?et=JfC%2CIN5QbXL351cF8LAoIA&nmid=91189361
http://images.pez.multiply.com/image/2/photos/262/500x500/5/IMG_0512.JPG?et=1AFj29slh84NTQfDUkV%2ByA&nmid=91189361

Roy Wall
04-14-2008, 10:21 PM

the first piece of furniture I've built.

I never thought I'd be able to learn how to use a vacuum press, mill straight and flat lumber from rough stock, do loose tenon joinery, install drawers so precisely, glue up a flat panel, and use a hand plane, just to name a few.

David -

I'm a big fan of the Cherry / Maple contrast.......it looks terrific!

What you stated above is the same 'Rush" we all get (I suppose) when building furniture..........the way it comes together....the shaping and matching -- It is excited and certainly a great accomplishment! Great stuff.

One can change many things about a particular piece; thinner drawer handles, a little arch in the lower stretchers, all kinds of things....but that is all personal tast --- you have done and EXCELLENT job!!!

Phil Thien
04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
That is stunning and I think you're a natural!

Brian Effinger
04-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Very nice, and very inspiring. I'm still waiting to create my first piece of fine furniture (so far just the outdoor dimensional pine variety), and you've given me hope.

Again, very nicely done :)

Brian

Roy McQuay
04-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Beautiful piece of furniture. I love contrasting woods.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Very Lovely, David.

It looks like something that should be passed on down through the generations of your family.

Bruce

John Thompson
04-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Very nice piece, David. I don't think I have seen cherry and maple used in an almost equal proportion as that. But... on the modern style to compliment the electronic devices we have now, it looks really good done that way IMO.

Again excellent as my first piece a long time ago wouldn't even come close to yours. But you are correct as each piece is a learning experience when you are self taught.

Sarge..

gary Zimmel
04-14-2008, 11:22 PM
David

Beautiful piece of furniture. You did excellent job.

Hard to beat the feeling of taking a bunch of lumber and turning it into a piece of furniture that will be around for a long, long time.....

Now to plan the next project!

Eric Sayre
04-15-2008, 3:14 AM
Excellent work, David. Keep the momentum going, you are quite a craftsman.

Eric

Mike Teachman
04-15-2008, 4:08 AM
very elegant!

Alex Elias
04-15-2008, 4:41 AM
It looks terrific. The desing and execution look top notch. Congratulations.

Hans Braul
04-15-2008, 4:47 AM
I love it. You've done a lot for a first project - for any project, for that matter. Beautiful contrasting wood. I built a set of kitchen cabinets with quilted maple panels and cherry frames, so you had my attention from the start! Congrats.

Hans

Matt Meiser
04-15-2008, 8:29 AM
Looks great David!

Michael Weber
04-15-2008, 8:37 AM
Good Morning David. Your project looks really great. Congratulations. I am curious about what you used a vacuum press for on this project.

Ray Turney
04-15-2008, 8:53 AM
Very nice David, Norm and David would be proud of you!

Peter Luch
04-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Very very nice work!
That is a classic piece and will be around for a loooong time.

Aloha, Pete

Lori Kleinberg
04-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Very nice. I like the contrasting wood tones and the simple design is very nice

J. Z. Guest
04-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Very nice David; beautiful. Are the drawer fronts also attached with Dominoes?

Only one suggestion: Put each photo on a new line, so it doesn't make the screen so wide that we have to scroll sideways to ready the text. ;)

John Pahl
04-15-2008, 12:06 PM
If that's your first furniture project then I can't wait to see what you're building with some years under your belt!! Great Job!

Ralph Okonieski
04-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Very nicely done, David. The contrasting woods look great in this piece!

Peter Quadarella
04-15-2008, 2:28 PM
Fantastic! I hope to be able to make a piece like that someday :)

Duncan Potter
04-15-2008, 3:02 PM
Very nice job on an ambitious first project!

Jim Becker
04-15-2008, 4:14 PM
Wonderful work, David!!! That's a beautiful piece.

Dave Verstraete
04-15-2008, 5:35 PM
Awesome Job!!!!!!! Exxxxxcellent! Love the contrast.

David Peters
04-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Good Morning David. Your project looks really great. Congratulations. I am curious about what you used a vacuum press for on this project.

Hi Michael,

The side panels are 1/2" plywood with Maple veneer from VeneerSupplies.com using their Excel 5 vacuum press kit, which was so easy to use that even a novice like myself, never having used it before, found little difficulty.

Dave MacArthur
04-16-2008, 1:24 AM
Very well done, I like the cherry/maple contrast a lot!