PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet saws w/riving knives....

Chris Allen
04-14-2008, 9:04 PM
Can someone list the cabinet saws that are available with riving knives? Or will be available by this summer?

The ones I know of:
-Sawstop
-Jet
-Powermatic
-Grizzly

I need to stay within a $1500 budget, needs to be a cabinet saw, and would like a riving knife. So what are my options?...if any? All of these saws blow my budget. Does anyone know if there will soon be a lower priced cabinet saw/riving knife table saw available?

Thanks

Scot Ferraro
04-14-2008, 9:23 PM
General makes/will make them, but probably over your $1,500 budget. Laguna Tools offers one I believe in its new Platinum series -- these saws are being offered for around $1,600 or so.

More and more manufacturers will start to add riving knifes as standard to be compliant with the recent changes to U.S. safety laws.

Scot

scott spencer
04-14-2008, 9:29 PM
Where does Steel City stand with the release of their riving knife in a cab saw?

Bob DeWolfe
04-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Steel City has and will release these this month. Just printing the manuals but you should inquire for the exact date.

Brian Effinger
04-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Steel City has and will release these this month. Just printing the manuals but you should inquire for the exact date.
Actually, I've already have the granite topped saw in my basement shop (minus the manual). I paid $1300 for it, not including the $100 mail-in rebate. You can read my initial thoughts on the machine here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79826

I'll hopefull be posting a more through review in the near future.

Brian

Chris Allen
04-15-2008, 2:14 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Scot,
Thanks for the info about Laguna. I think that may be my best option. I really like the looks of it.

Brian,
I don't think I could bring myself to buy a granite-topped saw. I must say, it is very impressive looking though, very cool. Unfortunately for me, it'd probably be less than a year before I, or one of my kids, figured out a way to put a few chips in it!

Bob DeWolfe
04-15-2008, 8:41 AM
Chris they are also to have the cast top and riving knife. It was delivered here north of the border back in mid March. I understand that this is cheaper than the granite topped saw.

Bob

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-15-2008, 8:51 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Scot,
Thanks for the info about Laguna. I think that may be my best option. I really like the looks of it.

Before you spend the $$ on a Laguna:
Be sure and inquire all about the technical service, parts, and customer service level that is available here stateside.

When I asked ( a little over a year ago) there was absolutely nothing more than sales. Nothing. The sales guy wasn't even able to lay hand on a technical manual.
Parts? Fagetabout it~! Technical~? Whazzat~?

John Thompson
04-15-2008, 9:38 AM
Before you spend the $$ on a Laguna:
Be sure and inquire all about the technical service, parts, and customer service level that is available here stateside.

When I asked ( a little over a year ago) there was absolutely nothing more than sales. Nothing. The sales guy wasn't even able to lay hand on a technical manual.
Parts? Fagetabout it~! Technical~? Whazzat~?

Words of wisdom, Mr. Rohrabacher... as sometimes initial visual appeal over-powers seeing through too the end result. If you accompany a woman into a house for sale that has a cathedral ceiling with sky-lights, she wll be immediately taken in awe by visual appeal. "Oh.. it's beutiful and I love it".

At the same moment a man will be thinking, "40' ladder just to get up there and paint and clean the windows.. let's go look at a few more sweet-heart"..... :D

Regards...

Sarge..

Brian Effinger
04-15-2008, 9:41 AM
I don't think I could bring myself to buy a granite-topped saw. I must say, it is very impressive looking though, very cool. Unfortunately for me, it'd probably be less than a year before I, or one of my kids, figured out a way to put a few chips in it!

Chris they are also to have the cast top and riving knife. It was delivered here north of the border back in mid March. I understand that this is cheaper than the granite topped saw.

I was told by SC they were getting them in the warehouse around March 18th, so they should be there. The cast iron version should be $50 less than the granite. Give them a call at 877-724-8665 or try their website.

Brian

Chris Allen
04-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Okay, well I suppose I'll have to check more into Laguna's service; doesn't sound good.

The Steel City seems to be my front runner now. I don't really know too much about them....time to do some reading.

Thanks guys.

Steve Sawyer
04-15-2008, 3:21 PM
I just took delivery of one of the Jets. Watch for the sales, and you can get the 3HP 1PH 30" fence model for just under your budget. Woodcraft seems to be having a 10% off all PM and Jet power tools sale about once a month this year, and Amazon was offering this saw for $1499 plus free shipping back in February. PLUS they have a $100 rebate deal but that expires on the 30th of this month.

I can't yet give an unqualified endorsement of this saw as I've been using it for less than a week, and I'm still a bit star-struck, but it has the features I was looking for (including the riving knife) and squeezed in under my budget.

Note too that the new Grizzly G0661 is shipping, but was on backorder until July the last I heard.

Greg Karol
04-15-2008, 4:20 PM
I have heard that the new unisaw is going to have a riving knife, as it was reported at last years woodwoorkers show. I would guess that is coming out sometime soon as well.

Steven Hardy
04-15-2008, 4:51 PM
Can someone list the cabinet saws that are available with riving knives? Or will be available by this summer?

The ones I know of:
-Sawstop
-Jet
-Powermatic
-Grizzly

I need to stay within a $1500 budget, needs to be a cabinet saw, and would like a riving knife. So what are my options?...if any? All of these saws blow my budget. Does anyone know if there will soon be a lower priced cabinet saw/riving knife table saw available?

Thanks
I am confused.....what is the differance between this
http://www.tools-plus.com/delta-36-830la.html
plus these.....are they not considered "riving knives?"
http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/AccessoriesCategoryOverview.aspx?catPath=2250.2252

Steven Wilson
04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Steven, those are not riving knife's they're splitters. A riving knife maintains a constant distance between the knife and the blade and moves with the saw blade. In other words the riving knife tilts with the blade (like a splitter) but also raises and lowers with the blade (a splitter doesn't).

Scot Ferraro
04-15-2008, 11:25 PM
I think that the main point here is that all manufacturers are going to be making the riving knife standard and if you can wait a few months, there are going to be a ton of options out there from a lot of different companies and I am sure that there will be a lot of different price points to consider.

For what it's worth, I have bought equipment from several different companies over the years (General, Laguna, Felder, Delta, Jet, etc....) sometimes the service has been great and in other instances not so great. I know that there are a lot of folks that have had issues with Laguna and I do not want to start a service issue thread here (it has been discussed at great lengths before) but I have had no issues with the service from the machine I bought there or from when I have needed other items. I happen to live close and deal direct and that might be one reason. I believe that a few members have purchased the new Platinum series saw and there might be some right-ups on this site with their experiences.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Scot

Steven Hardy
04-16-2008, 1:51 AM
Steven, those are not riving knife's they're splitters. A riving knife maintains a constant distance between the knife and the blade and moves with the saw blade. In other words the riving knife tilts with the blade (like a splitter) but also raises and lowers with the blade (a splitter doesn't).

Ahhh ok thanks!