PDA

View Full Version : TS fence micro-adjust

Bruce Page
04-14-2008, 8:39 PM
I spent Saturday in front of the milling machine & lathe instead of the tablesaw.

I sometimes find it frustrating bump adjusting the TS fence trying to sneak up on a critical dimension. :rolleyes: I based this on the plastic fence adjuster that Rockler sells.
I’ve had the old micrometer head kicking around my tool box for years, and with a new battery, I thought I’d put it to work. The two 22 lb rear earth magnets do a decent job of holding the unit in place when I adjust the fence but I think I will add a couple more to the bottom ledge just to be sure it doesn’t move.

Anyway, here’s some pics for your amusement… :p

Brandon Shew
04-14-2008, 8:41 PM
You should look into the Incra TS-LS or the TS-III (whichever they call it these days). You can dial it right in to the 1/1000th with ease.

Bruce Page
04-14-2008, 8:43 PM
You should look into the Incra TS-LS or the TS-III (whichever they call it these days). You can dial it right in to the 1/1000th with ease.
All this one cost me was a few hours of my time.

Dick Bringhurst
04-14-2008, 8:46 PM
Can you adjust both ways +&-? Dick B.

Doug Shepard
04-14-2008, 9:01 PM
I wish you and your milling machine would stop taunting us mere mortals.:D

Bruce Page
04-14-2008, 9:02 PM
Can you adjust both ways +&-? Dick B.
I guess you could set a gap and bring the fence up to it, but I don’t think I’d trust it for that. I designed it as a pusher.

Bruce Page
04-14-2008, 9:05 PM
I wish you and your milling machine would stop taunting us mere mortals.:D
Sorry Doug, I just needed another metal fix. ;)

Jim Dunn
04-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Metal fixes are nice once in a while aren't they? Nice looking machining there Bruce. A question, will you incorporate another thumb screw to release the "other" set of magnets when there are installed?

Bob Feeser
04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
I was really trying to start this with a patent joke, but I couldn't come up with anything. :eek: How are you Bruce...
Anyhow, mechanical reasoning gets me dreaming. The Bruce Page "Micro Push Tool" is handy for all kind of uses. Table saw fence, router table fence, Miter saw or Miter Gauge stops, the list goes on.
The only thing I see is the clamping system. 22 lbs is one heck of a magnet, but I would feel safer with a clamping mechanism.
You could take it one step further and create a foot long or so extension, with some kind of positive stops that would lock in 1/8th increments, and then be able to fine tune to every dimension in between. How many turns to get 1/32nd etc. Right now it is the "Tweaking Tool" It could become the "Micro Adjust Fence Tool"
It does look like a cool tool to have. Nice work in machining it. I could see making a cut, checking it with a dial caliper, seeing exactly how many thousandths it needs to be adjusted, and then being able to go in and micro adjust the fence, just to the difference, for a perfect cut. You know, make the cut, zero the dial/digital indicator, lock down the base, then adjust for the difference.
Finally for the professional woodworker, they just leave it on their desk when they are not using it, then the customer comes in and sees it, and immediately your estimate gets approved for an extra thou. :) This guy is obviously into precision.
Anyhow, I am having fun with this. Good talking to you again.

Jim Dunn
04-15-2008, 7:57 AM
immediately your estimate gets approved for an extra thou. :) This guy is obviously into precision.

Wow you mean I could get my wife to pay more for my work:eek: Maybe with 3 jobs I could then justify a nicer tablesaw:D

On a side note Bruce why not make such a holder for a 1" travel indicator? It could measure both ways and take the bumping to adjust it.

Bruce Page
04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Jim, I don’t think so, it doesn’t take that much to pull it off of the fence tube - I probably could have gone without the one brass screw.
I have a 1” travel indicator that fits into the bore but I figured that it would get damaged if I accidently knocked the assembly off onto the floor.

Bob, as always, you crack me up. :D