PDA

View Full Version : MS-UV owners: what did you do for dust collection

Matt Meiser
04-14-2008, 6:50 PM
I picked up a Ridgid MS-UV over the weekend and will be moving my miter saw from being screwed down on top of a set of cabinets to that. I had a early generation of miter saw stand before that and had a pretty poorly designed dust hood. Since I need to make (buy?) something new, I'm looking for ideas. I'd like it to be easily removable for transport/storage.

glenn bradley
04-14-2008, 7:38 PM
I just adapted the shop vac to the fitting where the bag used to go. Catches almost everything. Mine is not a slider so things stay reasonably focused . . . that and the fact that my vac is a beast.

Courtland Sandberg
04-18-2008, 4:30 PM
The shop vac is what I did too.
Since it's going Mobile,
I wanted it to be movable.
The vac I'm using is far from a beast,
so I added a rubber membrane behind the blade to extend (lower) the catch area.
It's not attached to the SUV, but the whole thing is portable.
It's in my sunroom now, while I work on the bookcases and stairs,
I do get a bit of dust in the air but not much.
The wife isn't complaining, if you know what I mean.

Dick Heifner
04-19-2008, 3:04 PM
I use it outside whenever I can.
Dick

Larry Marley
04-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Matt,
I am in the same situation. I had a 10" delta set up in a permanent location with the best dust collection of any of my tools.
I purchased a used Dewalt 708 12" slider and decided the foot print was too big to dedicate a permanent spot. I picked up the MUV last week and I think it is very clever. Now my miter saw is the worst dust maker in my shop. The included dust collection is mostly ornamental.

I am thinking of a series of two or three light weight frames that support a rectangular fabric tunnel that directs the dust down to a dust collection point. Something that will detach from the MUV and store flat. I saw something similar on line somewhere that used a large trash bag to do this. I just want suction to catch the air born stuff.

I have seen commercial versions of this but they are huge and expensive.

BTW the MUV is on sale for $99 till the end of the month