PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Pro?

Al Weber
04-14-2008, 3:17 PM
I don't often order from Rockler but some time ago I started getting a Rockler Pro catalog. I noted some items in the most recent one that I wanted to purchase but when I went to the website, the price of the items was about 33% higher than in the catalog. So I emailed Rockler and received a response this morning stating that if I entered the code number from the catalog, I would get the catalog pricing applied. So I filled out an order and while the prices were a bit better than the Rockler website (note that Rockler and Rockler Pro sites have different pricing), they still were more expensive than the catalog pricing. So I canceled out and will not order from Rockler. Apparently one also needs a Federal Tax ID or an EIN to order from Rockler Pro also. I don't think I will do further business with Rockler. I'll stick with the company that appreciates my business; Lee Valley. Although they don't always have what I want, they are honest and fairly valued.

Stephen Edwards
04-14-2008, 4:43 PM
I prefer doing business with companies that offer their products to everyone at the same price.

glenn bradley
04-14-2008, 5:18 PM
I don't know what Rockler has been doing over the last year or so. Maybe it has to do with the torch being passed down. There was a period where their website was almost unusable. It looked like a 12 year old was running it. It seemed that no sooner did that get cleared up and their customer service was handed over to a room full of monkeys; nothing but attitude and errors. Some of that seems to have been corrected and now the Pro bit. Maybe they are just trying new things(?). Maybe they should try more subtle changes and judge their impact before going company wide(?).

Jeff Duncan
04-14-2008, 5:28 PM
If your a Pro there are certainly many online suppliers who are cheaper with better service.
If your not a Pro, then Lee Valley is probably ok.
good luck,
JeffD

Pat Germain
04-14-2008, 5:37 PM
I prefer doing business with companies that offer their products to everyone at the same price.

Get used to disappointment. No offense intended. It's just that most companies price goods and services differently for different customers.

Of course, we all know people will pay different prices for the same new car (with the exception of Saturn.) Thus, there are different prices for different customers.

Restaurant chains charge different prices in different areas of the country. The IHOP Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity will be 400% more at the location across the street from Disneyland compared to the IHOP in your neighborhood. My wife recently visited her family in Kansas and found the Chilis restaurant prices there are higher than in Colorado.

I don't mind that Rockler would offer a discount for actual woodworking professionals. It's likely a pro would buy a lot of accessories and offset the discounts on other items. To me, it makes good business sense. Thus, we shouldn't feel miffed if we don't have a tax number and therefore can't get the professional price. I like Rockler and will continue to shop there as well as Woodcraft and online sources.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lee Valley offers discounts to some people and not others.

As always, just my take.

Dave Lehnert
04-14-2008, 6:28 PM
I work in retail. I don't care who you shop with. Not everyone pays the same price. In a few cases it's possible for the same item to be priced lower in the back of the store than at the check-out. Just the way it is. Lee Valley said on another forum that they lowered prices in Canada but not in the U.S.

Stephen Edwards
04-14-2008, 7:07 PM
Get used to disappointment. No offense intended. It's just that most companies price goods and services differently for different customers.

No offense taken. Nor am I disappointed, either. In fact, I buy things from Rockler ocassionally. However, most of the time I wait to buy items that I need until they go on sale. Whenever possible, I buy online. We don't have a Rockler in my state and the nearest Woodcraft store is a two hour drive. For me, shopping online makes sense because it's more convenient and I have lots of choices.

Kind Regards,