PDA

View Full Version : a little help please - golf ball marker

Jess Wetherhold
04-14-2008, 1:12 PM
What would be the easiest way to turn one of these? I was going to order some kits but I cannot find an instructional. Much thanks!

Benjamin Dahl
04-14-2008, 1:17 PM
Jess, I am not exactly sure but would like to hear from others. Where did you find those kits as I think they would make great gifts for some buddies.
Thanks,
Ben

Jess Wetherhold
04-14-2008, 1:29 PM
I found them HERE (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Projects___Household___Classic_Ball_Mark_Repair_To ol___classic_ball_marker?Args=)

Ben Gastfriend
04-14-2008, 3:07 PM
I would contact Linda a CSUSA. She is the most helpful person, and I'm sure she'd be able to send you the instructions even before you buy.

Jess Wetherhold
04-14-2008, 4:17 PM
I called them earlier today and they basically told me to double stick tape the piece you will be turning to something that will spin in the headstock and turn it to size using calipers.
I think I will just make a mandrel really quick that will fit in my chuck jaws and turn it down to the correct size. At least when I have the piece taped on there I will have a good reference point. Hope the tape will hold.
I am still looking forward to any suggestions.

Michael Armstrong
04-14-2008, 6:24 PM
Jess:
I turned some exactly the way that you were told. Use good turning double sided tape and apply some pressure with the tailstock at first to make sure it sticks well. I just made a simple mandrel out of a piece of wood and sized it to the correct diameter. One thing about these is the brass coating does come off pretty quickly when it is being used to repair the ball marks.

Michael

Jess Wetherhold
04-14-2008, 8:32 PM
Thank you Michael. I appreciate your response. I wasn't thinking people actually used these but now I can send a warning.

Tom Sherman
04-14-2008, 8:51 PM
Jess my wife started turning compac inserts on a mandrel and they are held on by two sided tape works fine as long you don't get to agressive with your cuts.

Scott Hubl
04-14-2008, 10:01 PM
OK, I'm gonna need to SEE a picture of this "Mandrel":confused:

Only thing that comes to my minds eye at the moment is a Pen Mandrel.:eek:

Michael Armstrong
04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
It isn't a mandrel like a pen mandrel. I used a piece of wood in my chuck and then just turned the dimension down to the size of the marker insert and faced of the end so it was nice and flat to stick the piece to be turned on. I just used the tailstock to apply some pressure to make sure there was good contact between the tape and the 2 pieces of wood. Then I got the tailstock out of the way and turned and sanded the disk. It also allows you to put a quick friction finish on the disk so all you need to do is glue it in place.

Michael