PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
14 April 2008

Good Morning,

I hope each of you have had a great weekend and a good start to your week.

Part of the family garden is now planted and growing well and as the weather gets warmer, we'll continue moving forward with planting the rest of the garden towards the end of this month.

No woodworking this weekend either, just worked for the day job and spent the rest of the time tending to our kids and working on trying to get things organized for spring cleaning around the house.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ben Cadotte
04-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Worked.

That is all.

Tyler Howell
04-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Got three offers on my house that just went on the market.
Realtor is coming bye this morning to talk.
Be safe.

Shawn Honeychurch
04-14-2008, 12:14 PM
The door frame and new door are now painted, and the hinges actually match and close smoothly. Woo Hoo!

Turned over the fir shiplap, so that it keeps drying, painted (sealed) the OSB.

Went down to Island Woodcraft and took a look at a General International midi lathe (very nice).

Shawn

J. Z. Guest
04-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Finished construction of a Shaker wall shelf. I'll post pix when the finishing's done.

Matt Meiser
04-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Saturday ran some errands, including picking up a Ridgid MS-UV while I could still get one. Sunday changed LOML's oil, went to visit my brother, then came home and worked on the bookshelf--got the face frame all ready to glue on and got the top panel glued up. Should be able to finish it up this week.

john l graham
04-14-2008, 12:56 PM
It's my weekend now! Just woke up and looking to keep working on the shop remodel. Got he one dividing wall removed and a lam beam in place last weekend. This weekend will continue to remove wall covering, old insulation and wiring. Fun Fun Fun.

David Duke
04-14-2008, 1:22 PM
Finished the casework on the current kitchen I'm building(about 37') and got the door (25) rail/stiles all cut, I hope to assemble these this week and get the drawer/pull out shelves (27) built this coming weekend.

Hope everyone had a GREAT weekend!!!

Larry Browning
04-14-2008, 1:41 PM
Well, I continue to hold up my reputation as the slowest woodworker on the planet. I worked both Saturday and Sunday afternoon on my workbench. I managed to plane to width 3 boards, cut them to length and drill 11 dog holes in one of those boards. How's that for efficiency? But I had fun!!!! and didn't screw it up. (yet, anyway!)

Jim Dunn
04-14-2008, 2:01 PM
Cleaned basement for wife. Dropped a Mason jar and cleaned some more and then alot more when we found more glass. Shoulda stayed in bed!

Brad Schmid
04-14-2008, 2:13 PM
Started on new Pergola.
Got the 6x6x12' posts, dug the holes (32" deep), and set the 4 outside posts in the holes on Saturday (man those posts are heavy!). Sunday afternoon, I plumbed and braced the posts, mixed and poured the concrete (16 – 80 pound bags). The design part is really the challenge... It needs to be a trapezoid. I was trying to avoid the 5th post (East, or left) sitting on the patio slab, but I don't think I can. Let's see if my rough sketch shows up...

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-14-2008, 2:24 PM
Attached the extension table to my TS, and then spent some quality time cleaning and vacuuming. ugh.

yesterday, though, it was just too hard to pass up on the semi-decent weather (at least the rain held off!), and I spent the day pruning shrubs and raking/cleaning out the flowerbeds.

Al Willits
04-14-2008, 2:25 PM
Finished sanding the TV stand/cabinet and added the first coat of Watco Dainish natural...then watched it dry.

Pretty laid back weekend, burned some music CD's and movie DVD's while channel surfing the TV

Al

Andrew Pezzo
04-14-2008, 2:26 PM
Finished an end grain cutting board made of maple and walnut for a wedding gift. Not a big deal for most but so far I am 2 for 4 in making cutting boards. I learned plenty from the first three attempts and going forward I should be a lot more successful.

I will try and post pics later tonight.

Well, I continue to hold up my reputation as the slowest woodworker on the planet. I worked both Saturday and Sunday afternoon on my workbench. I managed to plane to width 3 boards, cut them to length and drill 11 dog holes in one of those boards. How's that for efficiency? But I had fun!!!! and didn't screw it up. (yet, anyway!)

I dont know Larry, I might be able to give you a run for your money :D

Justin McCurdy
04-14-2008, 3:19 PM
Finished the leg stands for the adjustable height outdoor table I am building. Only 1 snafu when I picked up the 2, 32" boards instead of the 34" ones. It only cost me 2.00 to remedy, so I am not too disappointed.

Dave Verstraete
04-14-2008, 3:57 PM
Still working on small boxes. I made 6 of them for Christmas presents. I'm trying to get that out of the way early. Last Christmas I was up working until St. Nick came down the chimney and still had to promise a few items.

Stephen Edwards
04-14-2008, 4:39 PM
Saturday morning was spent turning my raised bed garden beds; good ol' shovel work! Thankfully, the soil has now built up to be a really easy to work loamy soil with lots of compost. I pulled a few weeds from the smaller beds where onions, mixed greens and lettuce are growing. The afternoon was spent working on my shop made seperator for my DC system. Works perfectly, I'm thankful to say!

Sunday morning, went to Church and spent the afternoon helping a friend install a privacy fence in their yard. All in all, a great weekend.

Tim Thomas
04-14-2008, 4:52 PM
I gave the "Scary Sharp" system a try this weekend. I already had some plate glass and most of the sandpaper grits I needed, so all I had to invest in was spray adhesive and some super-fine papers (1200 and 2000 grit). I flattened and sharpened a cheap 3/4 inch chisel with good results, so I decided to true up my cheap-o block plane and sharpen it as well. It took a while, but I'm getting some pretty nice shavings with the block plane now. I only have 5 more chisels and a #3 smoothing plane to go...

JayStPeter
04-14-2008, 5:12 PM
The woodworking "off season" for me seems to be early this year. I spent Saturday at Summit Point Raceway with my "summer hobby", then spent Sunday with yardwork. I might attempt to get one off season project done this year.

Jay

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-14-2008, 5:23 PM
My son and I picked up branches at my Dad's house. He is 85 next week. He has some old white pine trees and branches as large as 5" in diameter had broken in a storm. The work took a few hours. Of course, he came out and helped. I hated to trade my table saw work for chain saw labor but getting his yard ready to mow made Dad really happy. Working with my son who normally hates that kind of work made me really happy. And so it goes.
Faust Ruggiero

John Cooper2
04-14-2008, 5:23 PM
Sat, got to work on my vintage Bandsaw. Made a moble base for it, removed the old motor and tested the newer one. So far so good. Have got the upper wheel set with new "bearings", had to make a new drive shaft for the lower wheel. Now it is on wheels so I can move it around.

Then some yardwork with the wife.

Sunday, Cut firewood for a couple of hours. Have been frustrated with my unisaw the blade raise and lower was getting real stiff. would have to take two hands to make the wheel move. Sunday I took the plunge and took the top off, took apart the lift mech. Cleaned, Cleaned and cleaned the 60 year old parts and put it all back together. Now I can lift the blade with one finger. Got the runout on the arbor down to less than .001, so I am pretty happy about that. Just need to square the table back up and redo the fence.

Jim Becker
04-14-2008, 8:22 PM
Productive weekend here, although only incidental time in the shop picking up more screws and trimming some things to size. Basically, I outfitted the new master closet off the new master bath off the new master bedroom in the new addition. Whew! I'm quite pleased.

Ikea was my friend for this project. There was no way I could budget the time to build anything from scratch for this room and no way to do it cost effectively either. So I used a combination of their PAX wardrobe system and a Hemnes 8 drawer dresser. The PAX is designed for closets. The dresser I modified to be a built-in. The end result is great storage and looks like it was designed exactly for the space. Adding a few shelves and rods from the 'borg completed things with hanging space for short things as well as long things. Oh, I put a lock on one of the drawers so that certain things not appropriate for the girlie-girls to get into ;) have a safe and secure home. A full length mirror was the finishing touch. Now...if we can get a CO from the township, perhaps we can start using all this storage soon!

86510 86511

Lori Kleinberg
04-15-2008, 2:33 PM
Thought I might get the drawer done for my drill press table, but of course no one in town carries 8" drawer slides:eek:. I should have anticipated better. Had to order from Woodworkers Hardware. They should hopefully be here this week. So again everything on the to do list gets pushed back.

Calvin Hobbs
04-15-2008, 3:36 PM
Here in KC it is still almost winter, like a lot of the country. Actual flurries on Saturday morning canceled soccer games and softball practice for the kids, so we had a little extra time.

Just enough so my wife and I could paint the guest bedroom, we are expecting family to visit in a few weeks. The previous owner left a TON of holes, anchors, etc. so I had a lot of drywall repair to do. Did I mention I hate sanding drywall dust?

Snuck out to the shop a couple of times, got the dentil molding installed on the double chest. This project is slowly coming together. CH

Gene Michael
04-16-2008, 1:09 AM
Took the garbage to the dump and drove 50 mile round trip to pick up a repaired computer (so I could get back on-line with SMC). Also bought grass seed, fertilizer, lime, a turning plow and a 500lb spreader to work on a new pasture. This was just enough to make the weather turn nasty - it got cold and windy with rain and sleet. So, stayed inside and assembled the first section of railing around the stairwell. Have been turning balusters and newel posts for months and finally have something to show for it. :D