PDA

View Full Version : Curly Ash Hollow Form

George Guadiane
04-14-2008, 11:07 AM
This is smallish, but I keep finding these stunning pieces of wood that need to be relieved of their excess and exposed as the beauties that they are (can you believe I just wrote that???).
Anyway, I couldn't decide on a best view or background, so I took a few shots and decided to contrast and compare.
Diameter: 3 3/8 inches
Height: 5 1/4 inches
Finish: Van-Aqua 480 water based poly
As Always, any questions, comments and/or critiques welcome

curtis rosche
04-14-2008, 11:25 AM
they look nice........if you have any left over i have a friend who made a couple curly ash hollow forms who then torched them to make them completly black. they look like ebony. you can still see the curly figure and the grain its just pitch black

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2008, 11:27 AM
George - your opening sentence would make for a great Artisit's Statement!

Beautiful wood! Don't know if I have ever seen curly ash before! I like the simple form - almost egg-like. That's also quite the finish you have there!

Very nice work - always look forward to see what you turn next!

Pete Jordan
04-14-2008, 11:39 AM
That is Great George!

Wonderful grain!

Burt Alcantara
04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
George,
Beautiful wood and beautiful form!

Tell me about the water based poly. Some of the water based polys I've read about are also no permanent, that is, they can be removed with water.

What are the application options - wipe-on, brush, spray?

Thanks,
Burt

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2008, 2:00 PM
Wow that is beautiful George. Well done.

Ben Gastfriend
04-14-2008, 3:04 PM
I like it. Really nice wood, and a good finish. Definitley go with the dark background, it gives the wood a warmer feel, and makes it stand out more.

George Guadiane
04-14-2008, 3:18 PM
Thanks Everyone!
It's just one piece, two views and different backgrounds... The range of color IS pretty substantial, and my photog skills could be better...
The water based poly is permanent once it dries, and (as you can see) it takes a nice gloss.