PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive pairing chisel set?

Stephen Tashiro
04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
There are many inexpensive sets of ordinary chisels in stores and on the web, but I have never seen an inexpensive set of pairing chisels for sale. I don't see any pairing chisels for sale at Sears or Harbor Freight, inexpensive or otherwise. Anyone know where I can get a cheap set of "crank neck" chisels?

[I tried to post a similar message a few days ago, but I don't see it on the forum today. Pardon me, if this is a repetition.]

Lee Schierer
04-14-2008, 11:28 AM
There are many inexpensive sets of ordinary chisels in stores and on the web, but I have never seen an inexpensive set of pairing chisels for sale. I don't see any pairing chisels for sale at Sears or Harbor Freight, inexpensive or otherwise. Anyone know where I can get a cheap set of "crank neck" chisels?

[I tried to post a similar message a few days ago, but I don't see it on the forum today. Pardon me, if this is a repetition.]Posts scroll down as they get older. Any replys bring them back to the top. You can find your old posts by going to your profile and clicking on either of the two choices for all thereads started by you or all posts made by you. Your older post is here: Chisels (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81898)

Robert Rozaieski
04-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Most inexpensive crank neck chisels I've every seen are the Crown:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1831

but I can't vouch for their quality. I did have the Crown skews and they were...eh.

The reason you don't see these types of chisels inexpensively is because there is no demand for them. The average homeowner who buys his tools at Sears or Home Depot has no use for these. Cheap (as in inexpensive) tools sold by these outfits usually mean cheap (as in quality). Crank neck chisels are specialty tools designed for cabinetmakers & patternmakers who are not looking for low quality tools. Similarly you don't see cheap (as in price and quality) mortise chisels, or jointer planes, or plow/combination planes, or spoon bits in these types of stores. There is no demand for these types of tools from the average do-it-yourself handyman that these stores cater to. The folks who are looking for these types of specialty tools are special trades/craftspeople/hobbiests who don't want cheap (as in quality) tools, and quality tools aren't cheap (as in inexpensive) :D.

Greg Hines, MD
04-14-2008, 12:14 PM
You need to define "inexpensive". I have a set that I bought from Sears several years ago, which has 5 or 6 chisels that have composite handles, and fairly good steel in the blades, that I bought on sale for probably $30. Woodcraft has a sale on right now for some Swiss-made Pfeil Chisels for $130. I also have a set from Harbor Freight, that are excellent at opening paint cans and such, but I would not use for any particular woodworking project. Maybe use them to chop out a mortise where you might hit a nail, but that is it.

That said, I do have one criticism about the Sears chisels. I prefer to sharpen them with a Veritas Mark II jig, and their tapered blades make that difficult. I am going to have to get a side-clamping jig to hold them better. Other than that, I have been pleased with their quality.

Doc

Jim Koepke
04-14-2008, 2:01 PM

[I tried to post a similar message a few days ago, but I don't see it on the forum today. Pardon me, if this is a repetition.]

Crank neck chisels are not for everyday paring.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Inexpensive is a very relative term. If a relative dies and leaves you million$, then who cares if a good modern chisel costs $50 - $100?

My first chisels were Sandvik (sp?) now Bocho. They are very nice chisels. They did change the style and then the brand name before my being able to buy the whole set. I was buying them one at a time, since we were relatively poor at the time.

Since then, I have bought a lot of chisels, mostly from eBay.
Having multiples of many sizes that can be a plus when working and one doesn't want to stop to hone an edge. Some chisels also seem to be better suited for situations than others. My Buck Bros. 3/4 & 1 inch chisels are particularly thin even for bevel edged chisels. This sometimes makes them great for getting into tight places to pare away a little wood. They are two of my favorite chisels.

If you do go the used route, be ready to have to do a lot of work to get rid of the pits that all the sellers will try to tell you are patina. Mostly, this only has to be done on the back and maybe the sides.

jim

Michael Hammers
04-14-2008, 4:26 PM
Affordable but not cheap, I have heard good things about these paring chisels.

diefenbacher tools....google that, not sure about linky's.

Also ones I have been eyeing.....

Blue Spruce Tools has paring chisels now, aprox. 65-88 respectively.

Sometimes Luthier catalog/sites have paring chisels.

I know these are not cranked neck. Not sure your application, if you must have one then I would look at the Japan woodworker, Iyori cranked necks are there. The good news is that you really do not need a set, just a good single size (or two) so you maybe you can justify the extra cash for one. :p

I would spend a little extra since this tool really has a specific job & design and needs to be wielded as such. Without flex, a dead flat back plus good steel, less force more finesse. IMHO.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-14-2008, 5:30 PM
Make a couple. You will need a grinder, a cup of water, an old straight chisel, and some time.

If it's cranked you crave you can dip the first inch or so of the cutting end in oil or water and take a torch to the place where you want to impart a bend. Lower the temper on that spot. Don't make the metal red. Just heat it to about 500 Deg F. - heat it past blue. When it's cool, lay the chisel on a chunk of soft wood bevel up. Lay a steel rod at 90 deg to the chisel shaft ( where you heated it) and whack the steel rod with a hammer a few times.

Phillip Pattee
04-14-2008, 7:07 PM
Diefenbacher has a 3 piece set http://www.diefenbacher.com/paring.htm. This is about as inexpensive as you will get. Paring chisels are a more specialized tool that don't have a place in the mass market so makers like Irwin/Marples don't produce them. You probably don't need a set. I suggest that you buy just one paring chisel for the specific project that requires it, maybe a 3/4" or 1" paring chisel. Add more chisels to it later as you need them.

Brian J. Williams
04-15-2008, 12:30 AM
I've got about 9 of Ron's chisels, three of them paring chisels and 6 of hid firmer chisels, and I think they're great. Besides normal use, I've tried the 1/2" paring chisel on some pretty hard woods (like lignum vitae on a plane sole) and they performed really well. They were a little tough to get the initial edge on them, but after that, hooboy. FWIW, I'm one satisfied customer.

Brian

Stephen Tashiro
04-15-2008, 9:27 PM
As to what I am trying to accomplish. It seems that in ordinary carpentry (as opposed to fine woodworking) you often need to chisel off some projection that is "proud" with respect to the surface of a wide board like a 1x12. The handle of an ordinary chisel prevents your putting the bottom side of the chisel blade flush with the surface of the board. So it would be handy to have the "crank neck" that lets you do that. Of course to accomplish this task you can turn an ordinary chisel upside down and hold it at an angle or you can chisel rightside up at a very shallow angle. I just want to see how the crank neck chisels would perform the job without making "an investment".

My idea of expensive is $40 (US) and up for a single chisel.

Timothy Gallagher
04-16-2008, 6:49 PM
You will find a very large selection of English made cranked paring chisels at this link. I think they are made by henry taylor:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/default.php/cPath/39_171_215

Phillip Pattee
04-16-2008, 9:36 PM
You may be interested in these by Henry Taylor
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51576&cat=1,41504,41539&ap=1

or these curved chisels
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49944&cat=1,41504,41539&ap=1

These are available through Lee Valley. Two Cherries makes curved neck chisels too, but in general they cost more than the Hirch.

josh bjork
04-17-2008, 12:36 AM
stephen, that is what a chisel plane is for. Some router planes might fit the bill also.

Jim Koepke
04-17-2008, 1:11 AM
As to what I am trying to accomplish. It seems that in ordinary carpentry (as opposed to fine woodworking) you often need to chisel off some projection that is "proud" with respect to the surface of a wide board like a 1x12. The handle of an ordinary chisel prevents your putting the bottom side of the chisel blade flush with the surface of the board. So it would be handy to have the "crank neck" that lets you do that. Of course to accomplish this task you can turn an ordinary chisel upside down and hold it at an angle or you can chisel rightside up at a very shallow angle. I just want to see how the crank neck chisels would perform the job without making "an investment".

Keep checking the auction sites. These do come up often. I got lucky on a set a while back. Be patient, do not get carried away.

jim

Will Blick
04-19-2008, 1:01 PM
Well, thanks to this thread, and my OCD with nice tools, I just ordered a set of....

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/images/225-0010-lg.jpg

My justification is.... these long neck crankers really are multi-purpose.... "long pairing chisels", Crank Neck chisels, as well as Planing Chisels. If they were only "long" pairing chisels, I could not justify them :-)

Michael Faurot
04-19-2008, 1:19 PM
Well, thanks to this thread, and my OCD with nice tools, I just ordered a set of....

They look nice. Who makes them and where did you order them from?

Mike Henderson
04-19-2008, 1:34 PM
Congratulations. This thread started out looking for an "inexpensive set" of cranked neck chisels - I wouldn't call that set inexpensive but they do look nice.

Mike

Will Blick
04-20-2008, 3:28 AM
They are Henry Taylor Chisels, made in the UK, which is another reason I bought them...with the dollar tankin, the price already went up since this web posting...

http://tinyurl.com/65awoj

I think the price was about ~$300 with freight for the entire set of 5 at the link above, product number, 302 K/3. This product ID is for the 8" version, they also make a 4" version for less. The ones in the pix are the 8".

> Congratulations. This thread started out looking for an "inexpensive set" of cranked neck chisels - I wouldn't call that set inexpensive...

This is why I need to stay away from these forums... it seems we inadvertently remind each other of all the tools we don't have! I hate when that happens...

Will Blick
04-24-2008, 2:26 PM
Got these Chisels today, and sheeeesh, are they sweet.... very impressive... I can take some pix if anyone is curious just how massive these things are...

Jim Koepke
04-24-2008, 4:40 PM
Got these Chisels today, and sheeeesh, are they sweet.... very impressive... I can take some pix if anyone is curious just how massive these things are...

Pictures and sources are always desirable.

Most of us do have drool guards on our keyboards.

jim

Will Blick
04-24-2008, 5:49 PM
> Most of us do have drool guards on our keyboards.

too funny...... I hear ya, I was just being careful not to provoke anyone into an impulse purchase :-) pix forthcoming....

as for source, see above link...

Kevin Groenke
04-24-2008, 6:34 PM
A good flush cutting saw is another useful tool for the same problem.

Usually with japanese-style teeth with NO SET, these saws can be rested directly on a flat surface to cut off dowels, protruding tenons, etc... without scratching the surface. I often trim with a flush saw then shave flat with a scraper or low angle block plane rather the using a chisel.

Those Taylor crank necks look NICE!!

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/saws/05k3401g1.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/saws/05k3401d1.gif

Will Blick
04-24-2008, 6:35 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd126/msc20032006/chiselsnplane.jpg?t=1209079738

Here is a few of the Henry Taylor Crank Neck Chisels, overwhelming an 11" Plane. These are superb chisels IMO. What I really like about them is... they can be used as straight pairing chisels, as they have more than sufficient length. When using them as pairing chisels, they can be held using two hands, which makes them very easy to control and maneuver. The crank neck angle and large handle make them a joy to use, they fit into places regular straight chisels would never fit into....very well designed chisels. The backs are DEAD FLAT, important for pairing. They are worth the money...not cheap, but surely a very multi purpose tool. The 1.5" can easily do duty as a chisel plane, as it has that much beef to it. If anyone is considering pairing chisels, this chisels are worth the extra money, due to being more versatile in use.

The Bridge City CT-11 is truly an awesome plane.... The best performer out of all my planes, better than all my LV and LN's I don't want to muddy up this thread about it.... I should start a new thread, but I had feared the repercussions... we see, we want, it's sick...