PDA

View Full Version : dominoing a bookshelf

Paul Johnstone
04-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has ever used dominos to build a bookshelf. Specifically, to attach the fixed shelves to the book shelf sides.

I've seen plans in books where biscuits are used to attach fixed shelves, but I've never felt comfortable trying that.

I normally run a dado in the sides for the fixed shelves, then glue, then put a brad or two to hold it in.

I suppose a domino would be ok, and that the glue joint would be plenty strong, but I wanted some feedback from someone with more experience before I attempted this. I'm always tentative of trying something new. Thanks.

Matt Meiser
04-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Its not done yet, but I'm in the process of building one now. I spaced the small Dominos with just the alignment pins on the machine on a 12" deep book case. I don't have any fixed shelves, just the top and bottom of the case as all my shelves are going to be movable, but it seems to have worked well. I think I got 5 Dominos in, and used no mechanical fasteners. I did use some pocket hole screws to assemble the face frame but am using Dominos to align the face frame too. I even used three Dominos to align a 32" long glued up panel which is the easiest and flattest glue-up I've ever done.

Paul Johnstone
04-14-2008, 2:37 PM
Its not done yet, but I'm in the process of building one now. .

Thanks Matt. Part of my hope is that the dominoes would allow me to glue up the carcass easier than my current dado method (and thus avoid fasteners).

I've found it hard on the dado method to assemble a large bookself and then clamp it up with everything sliding around. Thus, I use a few brads to keep my sanity intact. But maybe with dominos, it will be possible for me to skip the brads.

I think I will try this out on a small set of shelves, and if it successful, try it on some large bookcases. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-15-2008, 7:08 AM
Paul, it can be done. Just do a dry fit first and use clamps. If the bookshelf's too wide, you won't be able to pull the middle of the shelf together and talk about panic! I think for a bookshelf where it's narrower it'll be alright. I use biscuits to assemble kitchen cabs or bathroom vanities, I've learned to also use pocket screws between biscuits on underside/top of carcass, where the pockets will be hidden. No clamps are needed this way. I've recently upgraded to domino and will now use them instead of biscuits. I've learned Dominos require more clamping pressure to pull them together. Just rehearse it before you glue it.