PDA

View Full Version : Quick/Cheap Sanding/Rubout Pads

Michael Panis
04-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi Folks,

I just "discovered" this yesterday, and I thought I'd share. (Of course, this might be old news).

I had been hand-sanding the shellac on the bookshelf I'm building with those red and gray synthetic abrasive pads. I wanted to use the random-orbit sander, but everything I had was either too course or too fine. Curious, I decided to see if the synthetic pads would stick to the hook and loop on the ROS, and it does. I simply placed the sander on the red pad and cut the pad into a circle. It worked beautifully.

---Mike

Richard M. Wolfe
04-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info, Mike. I hadn't thought of that.

I do use my ROS for smoothing some finishes. I got a variable speed ROS specifically for doing that. I save worn-out sanding discs and use low speed on the ROS. Works well for some things, but in the words of E. Fudd, "Be vewy, vewy careful."

David Romano
04-14-2008, 10:26 AM
I've done the same thing with steel wool and the finish (table saw top) was very nice. It left alot behind when I removed it though. Those pads probably shed alot less.

David

Keith Outten
04-14-2008, 10:40 AM
You can purchase Scotch 3M pads in various grits that fit your hook and loop pads on your ROS.

Joe Chritz
04-14-2008, 1:05 PM
Worn out paper is something I haven't seen mentioned here before but it pretty common with steel.

I used to grind my own knife blades and polish them with 2" sanding belts on a Grizzly knife grinder. Using a worn belt during the process worked very well, even charging it with some compound occasionally.

Joe