PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Phil!!!

Greg Cole
04-14-2008, 9:49 AM
Added the "Phil Special" baffle to my Jet DC1200CK this Saturday morning. Spent about an hour cleaning the filter to as clean as it'll ever be....
Spent the rest of Saturday jointing mahogany & curly maple stock for a bed project.... progressed through some resawing, re-jointing, planing and ripping to make S4S boards.
After about 12 hours of usage over 2 days with the added baffle, there was all of about 2 hand fulls of fines in the filter!!! No real chips from jointing or planing. The mahogany dust from resawing is a good test as it's bright red. The resawed mahogany dust would have previously caked up the filter to where I'd have to have spent another hour cleaning it to get the DC back to decent flow.
Seriously, a piece of scrap MDF and a couple of minutes while ya have your DC apart will give more benefit to keeping the DC's performance up than you can imagine!
Thanks for sharing your ingenious solution Phil!!!

Greg

Gary Ratajczak
04-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Greg:
When you added to the 1200CK, did you modify the incoming round dust port in any way?

Phil's design usually has another fitting for the exit air - did you just leave the open hole from the separator ring?

Thanks - I have a Wynn filter installed, and want to install the baffle as well.

Gary R

Randal Stevenson
04-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Greg:
When you added to the 1200CK, did you modify the incoming round dust port in any way?

Phil's design usually has another fitting for the exit air - did you just leave the open hole from the separator ring?

Thanks - I have a Wynn filter installed, and want to install the baffle as well.

Gary R

Gary I think your getting Phil's two designs confused. This one is Just (please correct me if I am wrong, PHIL), a wooden baffle that goes in your current dust collector, so the incoming, doesn't go up past it and into the filter.

Off to work

Greg Cole
04-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Gary,
I simply added a baffle to the DC @ 1" below the inlet.
The additional port you are referring to is for the "cyclone lid" for a pre-seperator I think (as per Randall's suggestion).
FWIW, the few minutes is very well worth it. It's truly one of the best couple minutes you can spend the next time ya have to change the DC bag & clean filter.

Cheers.
Greg

Gary Ratajczak
04-14-2008, 2:26 PM
Would this be the proper way to install the baffle in my Jet DC1200?

Thanks

David Romano
04-14-2008, 2:41 PM

Thanks

Yes, this is what I did with my DC1200

here
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74713&highlight=baffle

and here
http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?topic=29.0

If you have a canister, this baffle is a must-have

David

Greg Cole
04-14-2008, 2:43 PM

Thanks

In a word. Yup.
Couple screws and caulk the heads when ya drive'em.

Greg