PDA

View Full Version : Flower Stand on NYW

Adam Cavaliere
04-14-2008, 8:35 AM
I am starting to build the Flower stand that I saw on New Yankee Workshop. I am running into a few snags along the way as far as the dimensions of the lumber I am to use...

In the plans it calls for purchasing 1x6 boards of cypress at a few different lengths. I went to Owl Lumber in Des Plaines (they have been mentioned on here before as being great to go to). They had only an OK selection of Cypress. While looking I asked why there were only 1 inch (really 3/4) and 8/4 pieces. They said that because it is a softwood that is how it comes.

Well now that has me wondering... on the show and in the plans do you guys think Norm used 1 inch (really 3/4) or did he get 8/4 and recut to get exactly 1 inch? :confused:

All the pieces I looked at were pretty well bowed on the face and edges. I have a feeling it is because it is a soft wood. What do you think?

Adam Cavaliere
04-14-2008, 6:33 PM
Any ideas?

Ben Cadotte
04-14-2008, 9:00 PM
I would suspect that when he said 1x it was in general tems for 3/4" finished sized stock. Typically softwood is not sold 4/4 and 8/4. At least not in my area nor the couple years that I worked at a lumber yard. The one exception was we sold 5/4 knotty pine which was actually 1 1/8" finished thickness.

Cody Colston
04-15-2008, 1:09 AM
A "nominal" 1 x 6 is actually 3/4" x 5 1/2". I'm sure those are the dimensions meant in the plan. For a full 1" board, Norm would likely have specified 4/4 or even 5/4 if rough sawn.