PDA

View Full Version : Tuning up plane magazine article?

Jim Andrew
04-14-2008, 8:30 AM
Last night I was reading about old planes and rehabing them, and ran across an old magazine article about tuning up a plane, about lapping the bottoms, filing a 15 degree relief in the mouth, checking and fitting the frog. Really good article, and of course now I can't locate it again. Was wondering if the top of my unisaw would be flat enough to tape sandpaper to to lap the bottom of my planes?
Anyway, was hoping someone familiar with that article would put me in the right direction. Reposting it would be great too, looks like all the newbies could use some help tuning up planes.

Sam Yerardi
04-14-2008, 10:07 AM
The top of the table saw should be perfect for this, especially a unisaw. I'll use that or a sheet of safety glass.

As for the article, I have magazines by the stacks and in every brand (FWW, Wood, Woodworker's Journal, Woodwork, American Woodworker, Shop Notes, etc.) they all cover this from time to time.

Joel Goodman
04-14-2008, 10:18 AM
It was FWW Oct 2004 (#172). David Charlesworth was the author. I don't know if it's legal to scan and post it -- I doubt it. I would also search on this forum -- there's lots of info right here.

Phillip Pattee
04-14-2008, 10:24 AM
I think you will find the article already scanned and posted as a pdf on Johnny Kleso's site: https://home.comcast.net/~stanleyplanes/planes101/tuneup/tuneup.htm Just scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Jim Andrew
04-14-2008, 9:22 PM
Thanks guys, the tuneup is exactly what the old fulton needs, and I also have a couple baileys on the way, decided I needed a couple more antiques to go with the fulton. Grandps's old fulton lets the shavings go between the chip breaker and the blade, and the article describes how to stop that. Bet the bottom hasn't ever been lapped either.

Johnny Kleso
04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
David, was kind of enough to let me post the artical for everyone..

I thought someone was pulling my leg when they said they where Daivd Charlesworth and had an AOL address but it was reaslly him..

Update on address
Please use the ~rexmill
Not ~stanleyplanes

or rexmill.com

Comcast was upgrading thier servers and I had to move the files to several sites.. They are finally done with there imgration..

Charles Shenk
04-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Ironically, I too was reading that same article last night. :)