PDA

View Full Version : Powematic 882HH Jointer .vs. 882 + Byrd

Lewis Cobb
04-14-2008, 8:02 AM
I'm buying a Powermatic 882 jointer. I was originally going to upgrade to the Byrd helical head at a later date but good fortune has fallen upon me and I have the cash to get the 882 with the factory installed helical head, right out of the gate - the 882HH.

The factory helical head is not a Byrd head, but an asian knock off. However, the dealer has checked for me and the inserts are interchangeable with their 15HH planer (also on the wish list) which does have a Byrd head. He tells me he has never had a customer swap a knife head for the Byrd in the 882 jointer and they have sold about 20 or so 882 jointers, but he has had more and more people buying the 882HH jointer and all are happy with them. I see the 882HH helical head has 54 inserts, but I am not sure if the same or more are in the Byrd 8" helical head, of if that's even a factor.

Anyone out there with these jointers that can help me make a decision? I'm a little leary of swapping the head myself and fiddling around with that, if the factory head is just as good or there are people out there that have used and love them, but if there are issues I should be aware of it would be good to know at this stage before I pull the trigger.

Thanks very much,
Lewis

Lewis Cobb
04-14-2008, 2:24 PM
I called a dealer and asked them about this - here's what I found out

- The 882HH uses an Asian knock off head the 15HH uses a Byrd head
- The 882HH head is virtually identical to the Byrd 8" head in terms of fit/quality. It's so identical that the inserts from the 15HH are interchangeable - this info from both the dealer and Powermatic
- The dealer sells only the Byrd replacement inserts as they are half as much as Powermatic sells them for.