PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee and the borgs

Tom Henderson2
04-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Is it my imagination, or are Milwaukee tools getting hard to find in the borgs?

I was driving by an Orange borg yesterday, and thought I'd stop by to look at the Milwaukee routers that I thought I had seen there before. Thought I might even buy one. But there were none -- none on display (but an empty spot where they used to be) and none in stock. I found a clerk and asked -- he said they "removed them from inventory" a while back.

Hmmm.... then today I was in the Blue Borg and thought I'd take a look. They used to have a number of Milwaukee corded and cordless drills, saws, sawzalls, etc. They had virtually none on display, and fewer on the stock shelves -- just a few jig saws and one circular saw.

Now looking at the Blue Borg web site, they don't list a single solitary Milwaukee tool.

The Orange Borg site shows a few drills, etc as avialable in stores, but most of the Milwaukee stuff is online only, no in-store purchase.

Am I hallucinating, or is Milawaukee getting out of the borgs? This is bad news for me, as there are few tool stores besides the borgs near me, and virtually all of those are closed nights/weekends when I can shop.

-Tom H.
Ventura. CA

Vernon Taylor
04-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Local orange borg had Milwaukee body grip on closeout a few weeks ago for 89.00. Was tempted but I already have one,great router. This would seem to confirm your suspicions.

Bond Turner
04-14-2008, 2:56 PM
Can't beat the pricing at www.toolup.com (http://www.toolup.com)

I have purchased all of my Milwaukee tools from them including the latest fixed/plung 2-1/4 router offered from them. Great tool with a 5 year warranty and made in the USA.

Justin McCurdy
04-14-2008, 3:24 PM
I am pretty sure that Lowes is no longer carrying the Mil. tools.

Brad Schmid
04-14-2008, 3:34 PM
Lowe's is no longer listed as being an authorized distributor by Milwaukee, but Home Depot still is.

J. Z. Guest
04-14-2008, 3:49 PM
I see this as a good for Milwaukee. The borgs told them to create lower-priced products for them, and Milwaukee said they couldn't do it while maintaining their quality & reputation. So the borgs are not stocking them any more.

What is Milwaukee's catchphrase? "Only heavy-duty." I'm glad to see their integrity is still intact. In my experience, Milwaukee tools are the best of the best, on par with Festool, except geared more towards tradesmen than woodworkers. (usually) Better than Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, etc.

As an example, Bosch's top tools in Europe are sold under the blue color. Their lighter duty stuff is green. In the US, there is only blue, and it is equivalent to Bosch green in Europe.

Another: has anyone seen the "Maktec" line of Makita tools in Menards? Definitely 2nd rate.

A lot of us have been experiencing problems with some DeWalt tools lately. (short-lived battery packs, jigsaws that won't hold their blades, etc.)

Milwaukee doesn't do this kind of thing, and as a result, tradesmen know they can be counted on.

Brad Schmid
04-14-2008, 4:24 PM
I see this as a good for Milwaukee. The borgs told them to create lower-priced products for them, and Milwaukee said they couldn't do it while maintaining their quality & reputation. So the borgs are not stocking them any more.

What is Milwaukee's catchphrase? "Only heavy-duty." I'm glad to see their integrity is still intact. In my experience, Milwaukee tools are the best of the best, on par with Festool, except geared more towards tradesmen than woodworkers. (usually) Better than Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, etc.

As an example, Bosch's top tools in Europe are sold under the blue color. Their lighter duty stuff is green. In the US, there is only blue, and it is equivalent to Bosch green in Europe.

Another: has anyone seen the "Maktec" line of Makita tools in Menards? Definitely 2nd rate.

A lot of us have been experiencing problems with some DeWalt tools lately. (short-lived battery packs, jigsaws that won't hold their blades, etc.)

Milwaukee doesn't do this kind of thing, and as a result, tradesmen know they can be counted on.

Interesting, but I really don't think that is how it transpired. Milwaukee's parent company (TTI) also manufactures the Ryobi and Ridgid brands. I've also seen unsubstantiated comments in various internet sources eluding to Home depot owning a substantial portion of TTI (I can't comment further, because I can't find those facts). There's no doubt Home Depot and TTI have had a very strong relationship since 2003. You can draw your own conclusion from here ;)

glenn bradley
04-14-2008, 5:39 PM
Am I hallucinating, or is Milawaukee getting out of the borgs? This is bad news for me, as there are few tool stores besides the borgs near me, and virtually all of those are closed nights/weekends when I can shop.

-Tom H.
Ventura. CA

This could be payment for our sins of getting great deals online :rolleyes:. I got my 5615 at Lowe's on closeout a couple years ago and haven't seen any Mil routers at the orange or blue stores near me since then(?). I have bought a couple more Mil's online. Great price, quick and easy.

I do however share your frustration with the local stores turning more and more toward the homebody and away from the serious hobbyist or the pro. They are a volume business model. They have to market to the average person . . . Hey, did I just call myself abnormal!?! ;)

Peter Kuhlman
04-14-2008, 8:04 PM
Went to an openhouse at a local tool dealer and looked at Milwaukee nailers. Seems they are all made in China now. Not sure how they compare to others but didn't give me a warm feeling. I have several Milwaukee power tools and the corded tools are awsome but the 28 volt tools sure don't hold a charge.
I also noticed them disappearing from local borgs as the OP stated.
Pete

James White
04-14-2008, 8:54 PM
A Lowes manager told me they will no longer carry Milwaukee since Home Depot now owns Milwaukee. I do not know if it is true. But that is what I was told.

James

Steven Hardy
04-16-2008, 3:04 AM

I agree...and the borgs do a pretty crappy job selling what they do carry simply because they do not carry the accesories that make the Milwaukees a great way to go.
for example: for the sawsall ....the do not carry the pipe holding jig allowing great cuts on 6 in pvc or iorn pipe
for the magnum drills...they do not carry the right angle adaptor that allows you to easily drill between close quarter studs,they do not carry the drill extension that allows you to drill over head floor joists without climbing a ladder NOR do they offer the 50 foot removeable power cord that makes work on a ladder much less hassle free with all of the quick lock tools.
I am a Milwaukee fan..

Dave MacArthur
04-16-2008, 3:17 AM
Went to both Lowes and HD at end of Mar, was looking to buy a Milwaukee 5625-20, the 3.5 HP router. Nothing, no Milwaukee to be seen almost, but one Circular saw.

As a side note, the borgs used to carry large routers, back 10 years ago. I got my DW 625 at Home Depot. Now, the biggest I've seen in a year is 2.25. This does not combine well with my impulse-buying MO to get my new router-wing completed on my tablesaw...

Per Swenson
04-16-2008, 7:26 AM
Home depot does not own Milwaukee.

The are owned by Hong Kong based TTI since 2005.

Techtronics international owns ryobi ,awe heck

Look here, http://www.ttigroup.com/business/brands.php?PHPSESSID=9675bdfd4ea10a010c2d883e18882 ae1

TTi also owns rigid woodworking/hand tools sold at the home depot,

though the plumbing line is not.

A quote fron Thomasnet industrial news:

RIDGID® is a registered trademark of Ridgid, Inc., part of Emerson Professional Tools, a business of St. Louis-based Emerson (NYSE: EMR). The tools are designed and manufactured by OWT Industries, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of TechTronic Industries Company Limited (TTI) (HKEx stock code 669; ADR symbol TTNDY).RIDGID® professional power tools are available at The Home Depot in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico, as well as in industrial supply centers across the United States.

Just trying to clear some things up:eek:

Per

James White
04-16-2008, 8:24 AM
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Asian_Economy/HF16Dk01.html

After reading this article I agree with the speculation that TTI is trying to preserve the integrity of the brand name Milwaukee. I hope they are successful. I wouldn't trade my Super Sawzall or Half inch Milwaukee drills for anything. Clearly they are the Cadillacs in there class.

James

Ed Labadie
04-16-2008, 9:34 AM
I was in HD last week.....they had a brand new Milwaukee display at the front of the store, not in the tool department.

Ed

John Thompson
04-16-2008, 9:49 AM
I can't say who owns what Tom, but I can say I have run a 5625 under my router talbe for 6 years and sold a Bosch combo and DW 725 to get thier 2 1/4 HP combo kit with plunge and body grip. The switch to the 5625 was a great move years ago as it has proven to be a "hoss".

And another great move was made IMO by going to the Milwaukee combo in the 2 1/4 HP. Out of 6 different routers I have had and used over 35 years... they sit at the top of the heap. I have not tried a Triton... but then again I have no reason to at this point as the issue for me is settled period.

BTW.. Google Milwaukee Outlet as it will give you their web-site. The service is excellent and the prices are fair..

Sarge..

J. Z. Guest
04-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Another thought, maybe TTI and/or Home Depot were concerned that Ridgid and Ryobi sales were suffering if there was one more choice on the shelf.

Michael Lutz
04-16-2008, 1:23 PM
HD was closing out the 5615 routers in their stores. On their website was a notice of HD being the exclusive national supplier of Milwaukee tools. I don't exactly know what that means, but their offerings have increased on the website including the 5616-24 set that John likes so much.

Mike

Scott Long
04-16-2008, 2:27 PM
I spoke to my cousin wjo is the tool department manager. He told me that Lowes is not going to carry Mil. brand tools anymore. He was told that Porter Cable is probably going to replace the Mil. brand told in the isles at lowes. But he told me that the decision has not been set in stone just yet.

Tom Henderson2
04-16-2008, 3:53 PM
HD was closing out the 5615 routers in their stores. On their website was a notice of HD being the exclusive national supplier of Milwaukee tools. I don't exactly know what that means, but their offerings have increased on the website including the 5616-24 set that John likes so much.

Mike

Hi Mike-

HD does have a good selection of Milwaukee stuff -- but only online. I've been to two local borgs and they don't have a single Milwaukee router in the store. They have a few other items (sawzalls, drills, jigsaws) but otherwise not much.

I really hate to buy a tool based on reviews and reputation without being able to hold it and see how it feels in MY hands. And given a choice I'd much rather buy from a local dealer than mailorder, even if it costs a few dollars. To me, even a local borg is preferable to an out-of-town mailorder.

Unfortunately, we don't have many options in my area; the borgs are just about the only options on the weekends and evenings. The Blue Borg in particular seems to be moving downscale in a hurry.

Sigh.

_Tom H.

J. Z. Guest
04-16-2008, 4:55 PM
Is "The Blue Borg" Lowes or Menards?

In either case, that means HD is still where the best stuff will be carried. Since they started out catering more to pros, maybe they aren't so eager to go downscale.

Michael Lutz
04-16-2008, 6:04 PM
Tom,

When I noticed the blurb on their website, I figured it was a new thing that would take time to filter down to the stores. The website doesn't carry the 5615 router, but does the 5616 set, so I figured they were streamlining the items they were going to carry from Milwaukee. Time will tell.

Mike

Jason White
04-21-2008, 5:07 PM
Hate to break it to you folks, but Milwaukee is now owned by TTI, which also makes RIDGID and Ryobi tools.

You won't see any "made in USA" stuff from them anymore.

Jason

Steven Hardy
04-22-2008, 1:31 AM
Is it my imagination, or are Milwaukee tools getting hard to find in the borgs?

I was driving by an Orange borg yesterday, and thought I'd stop by to look at the Milwaukee routers that I thought I had seen there before. Thought I might even buy one. But there were none -- none on display (but an empty spot where they used to be) and none in stock. I found a clerk and asked -- he said they "removed them from inventory" a while back.

Hmmm.... then today I was in the Blue Borg and thought I'd take a look. They used to have a number of Milwaukee corded and cordless drills, saws, sawzalls, etc. They had virtually none on display, and fewer on the stock shelves -- just a few jig saws and one circular saw.

Now looking at the Blue Borg web site, they don't list a single solitary Milwaukee tool.

The Orange Borg site shows a few drills, etc as avialable in stores, but most of the Milwaukee stuff is online only, no in-store purchase.

-Tom H.
Ventura. CA

I just ordered a 1"Milwaukee 5616-24 2-¼ Max HP EVS Multi-Base Router Kit Includes Plunge Base and BodyGrip Fixed Base"
after walking through all the borgs. Did not get to see one ...but the buyer reviews on Amazon looked pretty good and the center of gravity seemed way better than the equiv PC. I went back and forth for a month now ..PC or Mw?....PC or MW? Finally ,I remembered a self taught lesson when buying stuff thats not disposable:
Imagine its broken.....then try to find support.
The reputation of both tool manufacturers is good..but maybe subject to change. I went to the website of both companies. The milwaukee web site had a user manual and parts list IMMEDIATELY downloadable.
The PC web site...i dunno... I didnt want to enroll in Servicenet. (Never figured out if it was fee based support or not)
It reminds me so much of why I am replaceing my BD routers in the first place (the plastic bases of both my BD routers are "obsolete ...no replacement available . On the MW site,I am able to find internal parts for a 20 yr old Mw drill.
Oh ...the MW router package was about 15 percent cheaper also. go figure!!?? Anyone out there have this model?

John Thompson
04-22-2008, 9:05 AM
'Anyone out there have this model"? ... Steven

I believe I stated that I did in an earlier post and sold a Bosch Combo and DW 721 to get it. I also did one of the reviews on Amazon under "Sarge".

You won't regret the purchase, IMO!

Sarge..

Steven Hardy
04-23-2008, 12:45 AM
'Anyone out there have this model"? ... Steven

I believe I stated that I did in an earlier post and sold a Bosch Combo and DW 721 to get it. I also did one of the reviews on Amazon under "Sarge".

You won't regret the purchase, IMO!

Sarge..

Great to hear!
Yes ,that was a sensible and informative review that you wrote. Wilwaukee should send you a free router bit or something !:)
Next on the list...i need to start looking at jigs ,templates,etc. I want to make a couple wooden boxes ( big oak ones)What system are you using for the bed? Saw the 24 in. PC-omni at Woodcraft..undecided on that! (Something about paying LIST price that irks me:))

Richard Kee
04-23-2008, 12:59 AM
I was in Lowes in Reynoldsburg, OH yesterday when they were marking clearance prices on the remaining Milwaukee stock. If you need Milwaukee products, now is the time to stock up.

Richard

Bob Slater
04-23-2008, 5:14 AM
Hate to break it to you folks, but Milwaukee is now owned by TTI, which also makes RIDGID and Ryobi tools.

You won't see any "made in USA" stuff from them anymore.

Jason

I find that Sad. I prefer to shop local...and to me, made In The USA is local.

Bill Edwards(2)
04-23-2008, 5:43 AM
I find that Sad. I prefer to shop local...and to me, made In The USA is local.

But we're a global economy now.:rolleyes:

What's wrong with sending your money to Hong Kong? :mad:

John Thompson
04-23-2008, 8:39 AM
Good morning Steve... I cut dove-tails by hand with a high tech Irwin 19 point pull saw made in Japan. I sold a LN Independence as I prefer that cheap $19 saw Irwin has made in Japan. I do use box joints on the rear of drawers thought that are cut by machine. I just purchased the Freud box joint set and with the proper set-up.. it is outstanding.

I cut mortises with an industrial (750 lb. monster) Bridgewood floor mortiser, but tenons are also cut by hand with the same pull saw. Same for bridles.. laps.. etc. With the aid of a set of 1974 Marples (they were quaility in those days) blue beaters and a set of Ashley Isles chisels. Dadoes with a router and Pro-grip.

So.. I can't assist you too much on the modern "gizmo's" that supposed to take the thinking out of cutting joints, etc. They just didn't exist when I starting butchering in 1972 and I found no personal need for them latter as I am not commercial and have no dead-lines. And to be truthful.. I love to cut joints by hand for the most part.

Regards...

Sarge..

J. Z. Guest
04-23-2008, 9:08 AM
Although Milwaukee is owned by TTI, Milwaukee is still its own company. Staff have not changed in the Brookfield, WI location. (at UL, we work with them daily) They have moved overseas for manufacturing. I think this was a mistake, personally.

What this means is that you may see some similar products from Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee. The 12V drivers (the ones that copied the 10.8 V Bosch) are a prime example. I have the Milwaukee. I see that Ridgid now has a clone that has a three jawed chuck instead of the 1/4" hex chuck on my Milwaukee.

To me, it also means that Ryobi's quality has gone way up. I have their new 18 V lithium drill and it is nicer than stuff they were putting out under that name 5 years ago. (I had a drill of theirs back then too)