PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Complete

Dan Schmidt
04-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Here is the finished product. Thanks for those of you who helped with a few questions. I really appreciate this forum.

Sean Troy
04-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Thats to purdy to use!

gary Zimmel
04-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Dan

Great job on the bench.. I bet it will get a lot of use.

Mike Heidrick
04-13-2008, 11:08 PM
BEAUTIFUL. Looks outstanding!!

Oak?
Finish?

Any design plans or was it pure home built?

Any Rough Costs and materials lists so that people have an idea of what goes into a project like this?

Pat Germain
04-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Wow, that workbench is quite the dreadnought, Dan! You could enclose the lower section and use it as a tornado shelter. :) Very nice work.

John Michaels
04-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Very Nice!! I'd be afraid to get any glue or scratches on it

Paul Fitzgerald
04-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Here is the finished product. Thanks for those of you who helped with a few questions. I really appreciate this forum.

Wow, I love it! That's pretty much exactly what I'm interested in.

BEAUTIFUL. Looks outstanding!!

Oak?
Finish?

Any design plans or was it pure home built?

Any Rough Costs and materials lists so that people have an idea of what goes into a project like this?

I have to add a "me too" to Mike's questions. I'd love to build one of these for myself.

Paul

Brian Lindenlaub
04-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Awesome bench! Well done.

Carl Fox
04-14-2008, 12:26 AM
That's nicer than the furniture in my house!

Eric Sayre
04-14-2008, 1:44 AM
Very nice! That's the best looking tool in your shop!

Some day I'll build my own. I hope it turns out half as good.

Bill Wyko
04-14-2008, 2:52 AM
Nice job. I disagree with Sean. That's begging to be used for generations to come. Beautiful craftsmanship.

Henk Marais
04-14-2008, 3:33 AM
Please dont get me wrong, that is one of the most beutifull benches I have ever seen. But I would turn new handles for the vices out of the same wood (Oak?). I will just add the detail that will realy stand out.

George Sanders
04-14-2008, 6:10 AM
Outstanding craftsmanship. That bench should serve well for generations.

Toney Robertson
04-14-2008, 6:31 AM
Outstanding bench.

Someday I MIGHT take the time and do something like that. Nah, I probably won't.

As an aside, you have one clean and orderly shop. Mine is NEVER that clean and there is ALWAYS stuff (tools, 1/2 finished projects, etc.) laying on any flat surface.

Maybe I am just a slob. :D

Good job.

Toney

John Keeton
04-14-2008, 7:00 AM
Extremely nice!! Functionality and style all in one package. You will feel better about using it if you will go out to your shop and immediately pound on it with a hammer and throw a couple of cups of various dyes and stains on it! Kind of like owning a new car. After the first scratch, it becomes "familiar."

And, what's with all the containers and everything being in its place?? You can get help for yourself! You are among friends. It is OK to have some shavings on the floor and a few tools laying around?

Per Swenson
04-14-2008, 7:02 AM
Beautiful.

Per

Barry Clodfelter
04-14-2008, 7:04 AM
Nice bench! Its so nice I would be afraid to use it. I wish my shop would stay that clean.

Peter Quinn
04-14-2008, 7:42 AM
Beautiful work. Now its time to "patinate" it, give it the well worn look, ie smack that thing down!

I am curious though...I see the DJ-20 in the back ground...I don't see a dust collection shroud on it....I don't see any chips on/around/near it..hmmm? When I forget to turn on the DC with mine I'm quickly covered in a shower of chips. Is that your real shop or is it air brushed into the picture? It looks entirely too neat to have just given birth to that georgeous bench!:D:D

Don Bullock
04-14-2008, 7:54 AM
That's a beautiful bench.

Doug Shepard
04-14-2008, 8:10 AM
As an aside, you have one clean and orderly shop. Mine is NEVER that clean and there is ALWAYS stuff (tools, 1/2 finished projects, etc.) laying on any flat surface.

Maybe I am just a slob. :D

Dont people like Dan just make you feel so contaminated? I wish I could keep my place looking that clean and organized.

Awesome job on the bench.

Chuck Saunders
04-14-2008, 8:13 AM
Just excellent!

Jim Becker
04-14-2008, 8:18 AM
VERY nice, Dan!

Larry Fox
04-14-2008, 8:53 AM
Beautiful!

William OConnell
04-14-2008, 8:59 AM
Thats almost to handsome to use. Very nice work, Amazing how long it takes to build a bench to build things on isn't it

Jack Ferrell
04-14-2008, 9:20 AM
That is an great looking bench and appears very sturdy. Excellent work Dan.

J. Z. Guest
04-14-2008, 9:42 AM
Dan, it is beautiful. Nice work. It should serve you well for many years.

The photos are great too, thanks for the effort.

How long did it take to build? (est. hours?)

Roger Lance
04-14-2008, 2:06 PM
Congradulations Dan...you have undergone a rite of passage by building your own woodworkers bench...it will be a source of pride and inspiration everytime you use it.

Vic Damone
04-14-2008, 2:31 PM
You've managed to capture the craftsman style in a wonderfully functional design. It's amazing how a simple curve can add so much interest. Very well done.

Vic

Andrew Pezzo
04-14-2008, 2:32 PM
I wish I could build a bench like that. Someday I am going to attempt one hope and it comes out half as nice.

As to the neatness of the shop, bravo. I am a neat freak and very anal about it (just ask my wife - I drive her nuts). Its nice to know I am not alone, even when it comes to the shop (aka garage).

Craig D Peltier
04-14-2008, 4:19 PM
Seems like dan is MIA.
Nice bench.Looks like a plan I just saw in Fine WW Workshop solutions. Theres an entire plan in it to build it.

Jamie Baalmann
04-14-2008, 4:20 PM
Very nice... I like the way you arched the skirt into the vice. Bench that nice says worlds about your dedication to woodworking

Raymond Fries
04-14-2008, 4:32 PM
Makes you not want to put a dent or scratch on it...

It's a keeper.

Enjoy...

Duncan Potter
04-14-2008, 6:19 PM
Outstanding!

Bruce Page
04-14-2008, 8:58 PM
That's a beauty Dan!

Eric Wong
04-14-2008, 11:49 PM
nice job! How heavy is that thing?

Doug Hobkirk
04-15-2008, 8:57 AM
Lovely! And those vises look like they could crush a locomotive!

Lori Kleinberg
04-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Dan, that really is an awesome looking workbench:cool:. I bet you will enjoy working on it for years to come.
I would also like some of the build info (amount of material, time, plans, etc) on this bench.
Thanks for sharing.

Vince Shriver
04-15-2008, 2:33 PM
I'm sure you are proud of your new bench as it is indeed a thing of beauty. However if there is a flaw, it would be its location - it should be adorning your dinning room or living room with other fine furniture. Most excellent, congrats.

Dan Schmidt
04-15-2008, 6:33 PM
Thanks all. I really wish I could take credit for the design, but I can't - it is the feature article in ShopNotes #65. I am relatively new to woodworking (~2 yrs as new hobby), so I learned a ton by having a plan and following the ShopNotes instructions. The following issue has some very nice cabinets for below which I am tackling next...

Of course I modified a few things. The ShopNotes plan called for a triple layer 3/4" MDF top. For durability I replace this with a 2-1/2" maple glue-up with the same length & width dimensions. This required some mods on how I attached the oak aprons to prevent warping w/ seasonal wood movement.

The finish is 4 coats of Tung Oil tinted with a bit of Van Dyke Brown artist paint - first time I tried this, but I'm happy with the results so far.

Your right about the shop cleanliness - I hardly recognize it in the picture myself. Every now and again I get the energy to tidy up, but normally it's a bit of a mess.

Good suggestion about using turned oak for the vise handles. The ones I used came with the vises. When I get a lathe some day I may turn some out of Oak.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-15-2008, 6:53 PM
Dan, you may not be able to take credit for the design, but you can certainly take credit for the execution! And you did a fantastic job!

And for anyone who's interested, the plans are available through the ShopNotes web site! http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/heavy-duty-workbench/

Dan, thanks for the inspiration!

Paul

rob durfos
04-15-2008, 7:34 PM
beautiful!!! who's vice mechanisms and where can I purchase a pair?

Dan Schmidt
04-15-2008, 8:11 PM
Front vise is Jorgensen 41012. Twin screw is Veritas 16-7/8" kit. I purchased both from Woodcraft.

rob durfos
04-15-2008, 10:18 PM
thankyou, I will look these folks up. Again very nice- Rob

Scott Baer
02-18-2011, 2:54 PM
Reviving an oldie here!

Going to pick up some some ash this weekend to build this same bench. Similar to the OP, I will be laminating 2 x 2 1/2" strips for the top as opposed to the plans which call for three 3/4" MDFs. It also calls for 2 x 3" aprons glued around the top which I would like to keep.

It will reside in my basement shop which is controled at 68 deg and 45% humidity. I think I have read that I will not be able to glue the apron the whole way arouond do to movement. That kinda stinks being the the two vices rely on the aprin for strength (especially the twin screw vise). Is there no way around being able to glue them? I could lag them into the adjacent aprins, but I am not real excited about that.

Here is the plan for the twin screw vice...

Any thoughts?

Thanx in advance

Bruce Page
02-18-2011, 3:23 PM
Scott, you would be better off starting a new thread and asking your question.

Scott Baer
02-18-2011, 3:24 PM
nuther pic of vice...