PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft's Vacuum Press - Any Good?

Glen Blanchard
04-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I know that Joe Woodworker's site is a good source for veneer information as well as supplies. I was, however, wondering if anyone has any experience with Woodcraft's offering.

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5086

Pat Germain
04-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Don't know about the quality, but I do know one of those kits is sitting on the clearance rack at my local Woodcraft. I wonder if they're being phased out.

I got a little excited when I saw that vaccum bag kit on the clearance rack last week. Then I saw the price. I don't recall the exact discount, but it was no more than $10 off. I'll keep checking back...

I would also be interested to know if that kit is a good buy.

Jamie Buxton
04-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Yep, that's a reasonable vacuum press. I've used it, and it works well. The pump is fairly quiet, which is a good thing.

It is also a reasonable system price. The pump itself (from Gast) costs about $200 if you shop carefully. Add the pressure gauge, fittings, bag, and bag closure, and $350 isn't bad. You'd have a difficult time assembling all of that for much less, and you'd have spent a bunch of time running around collecting stuff.

Bill Wyko
04-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Check out www.veneersupplies.com (http://www.veneersupplies.com) The Excell-1. It was on sale for 269.99 + bag. I've been using one for the last few weeks and it is great. Joe will also answer your questions quickly too. He also has lots of beautiful veneer. (Hide your money:D)

Dewey Torres
04-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Check out www.veneersupplies.com (http://www.veneersupplies.com) The Excell-1. It was on sale for 269.99 + bag. I've been using one for the last few weeks and it is great. Joe will also answer your questions quickly too. He also has lots of beautiful veneer. (Hide your money:D)

I have been eying that same pump. Is there any disadvantage to the continuous run pumps? Do you leave it run in you shop all night, unattended? Ever have any problems?
Dewey

Guy Germaine
04-14-2008, 7:17 AM
I've got it, and it works great. I haven't had any trouble with it at all.

Per Swenson
04-14-2008, 7:37 AM
Folks,

There is really no reason to go and buy a brand new pump for veneering.

Unless of course you are going to pull a vacuum every day.

If you go and peruse that auction site, searching for "vacuum pump"

you will be pleasantly surprised at the price of a used rig.

Then, off to Joe for a bag...or you can make your own.

You can buy your own Vinyl and glue it together with

vinyl adhesive.

I say this because 'round here the economy is in the commode

and any way to save a buck is a good thing.

Especially if you are doing this for fun and not profit.

Per

jack howery
04-14-2008, 7:46 AM
Can You Use A Freezer Compressor Pump To Make A Vacum Pump. Have Heard You Can But Never Heard How. Thanks Jack

John Huber
04-14-2008, 10:29 AM
I've used the Woodcraft vacuum system for about twenty veneer panels. It works fine. I've let it run all night unattended without a problem.