View Full Version : SWMBO's first bowl Critique requested

Brian Brown
04-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Here is SWMBO's first bowl that didn't explode on the lathe. She has made some chain pulls, magic wands and some Christmas ornaments in the past, but was getting frustrated with her bowls exploding. This one held together, and I think it turned out well. Too bad... she has informed me that I may never see my lathe again now. This one is Russian olive, turned at about 12%mc. About 7" X 2.75 high. There was a small amount of warping after she finished turning. It was finished with tung oil. This wood is very unique. The early wood is very soft, and the late wood is hard. When it is sanded, the late wood sands very little, and the soft wood sands a lot. This leaves a texture where the early wood areas are lower than the late wood, almost a sandblasted feel. I kind of like the effect.

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Well Brian you can tell her she did well on her first. I wish mine looked that good. Tell her she needs to keep it so down the road she can see her improvement. Tell her well done.

Ron McKinley
04-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Tell her she done good! Very interesting grain.......Ron

Richard Madison
04-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Critique requested. How to say this? Brian, there ain't no sucha thing as "very unique". It's a common misunderstanding. There are no degrees of uniqueness (like "sorta" and "very"). A thing is either unique (meaning that it is the only example of its type in the known universe), or it isn't. "Unusual" is often the correct word. Example: "This fossil is not unique, but is most unusual, as only two others like it have ever been found."

Meanwhile, the bowl is pretty darn nice, and your sweetie can be proud of it!

Howcum stuff is "exploding on the lathe"? Can someone here help with that situation?

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2008, 8:03 AM
Brian - let her know that she did a really nice job on the bowl! Proportions look good, diameter and height of foot is also good. I like the grain and raised portions must make this a pleasure to hold. I also like the subtle rim detail. Overall - this is a very nice bowl - whether it's a first bowl or not!

Congrats on being able to share your interest in turning! Might be time to start looking for an additional lathe! Looking forward to her next one!

Jim Becker
04-14-2008, 8:09 AM
Tell her it's just wonderful...'cause it is!

Tom Sherman
04-14-2008, 9:00 AM
Brian, your wife has done very well with this bowl.

Barry Elder
04-14-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm also curious as to the "exploding" bowls. Does she use C4, DNA, make funnels, get heavy catches? A lady who can turn a bowl like that Russian Elm deserves better. Give the sages more info so they can help solve the problem. Meanwhile, tell SWMBO she should offer lessons to you! Ha!

George Guadiane
04-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Well Brian you can tell her she did well on her first. I wish mine looked that good. Tell her she needs to keep it so down the road she can see her improvement. Tell her well done.
All of the above, then ask her where she would like you to set up HER lathe (or the newer bigger better one that you get:eek:):D

Brian Brown
04-14-2008, 2:01 PM
Actually, she could offer me lessons. She has picked up on this faster than I did. The explosions are caused by heavy catches, that usually pull the bowl out of the chuck. Richechetting off the the wall, ways, and tool rest is usually fatal for the bowl. In the Russian olive, we somtimes get cracks that are so small the CA doesn't fully penetrate. If we we cut deeper than the glue penetration, chatter, chatter, boom, %#@$(%#@^. That is my assessment, but we would like to hear any other possibilities.

Ben Gastfriend
04-14-2008, 5:53 PM
Can't complain about that. Real nice bowl.

And now that you've got another enthusiast, maybe it's time to upgrade...

Dennis Puskar
04-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Very nice work, my first didn't look that good.

Dennis