PDA

View Full Version : Locked and Loaded for a G0513X2

Pat Germain
04-13-2008, 7:36 PM
After much reading on SMC and talking with friends, I'm locked and loaded to buy a bandsaw and I'm about to pull the trigger on a Grizzly G0513X2. Since the world of woodworking machines is quite dynamic, is there any new information which might steer me in another direction?

I looked hard Steel City. They're nice, but I think I'm getting a better value with Grizzly. I would also have to order from my local Woodcraft and the larger bandsaws are on back order.

Today I looked at a JET brochure adverstising their bandsaws on sale and with rebates through April 30th. It's tempting, but again, the Grizzly still seems like a better value. I would have to order the JET as well. The only JET dealer in my area is Woodcraft and they have no large bandsaws in stock.

I considered the Grizzly G0514X2. It's also tempting, but it's at the very top of my budget and wouldn't leave me any room for good blades or a mobile base. Right now, I'm pretty confident the G0513X2 will be more than adequate.

I fully understand and appreciate the quality of Italian saws. Unfortunately, a European machine is far outside my budget.

I've been looking online at used bandsaws for months. I found exactly one bandsaw I would consider buying. It was 75 miles away and it's now sold. 80% of everything I see used is small and Craftsman. About 18% are small Deltas and the rest are gigantic, expensive industrial machines.

Is there anything else I should know? Thanks!

Dewey Torres
04-13-2008, 8:54 PM
Would this be your first tool gloat perhaps???
The Griz looks to be the better choice over the Jet. You can prob. get a better deal online but I understand your are trying to support your local WC.
Dewey

Pat Germain
04-13-2008, 9:42 PM
^^ Actually, once it arrives, it would be my second tool gloat. I gloated big time when I got my ShopFox 8" jointer last year. :D

BTW, nice new avatar, Dewey.

Wade Lippman
04-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Two years from now you will regret not getting the 0514X. (note, I didn't say 0514X2)

Pat Germain
04-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Hey, thanks for the suggestion, Wade. That's just the kind of thing I was wondering about. You know, I hadn't considered G0514X. I guess I thought if I was going any bigger, I might as well get the X2.

I'm looking at the G0514X on the Grizzly comparison chart. For $200 more I get:

- An extra 2" of throat capacity
- One extra horsepower (that might tip the scale right there)
- A magnetic switch (does that make much of a difference?)
- A slightly bigger table
- Steel trunnions instead of cast iron (wouldn't cast iron be better?)

glenn bradley
04-13-2008, 11:18 PM
I have a G0513X and enjoy it very much. The Shop Fox mobile base is adequate but nothing to write home about. I would look into a quality base if you are REALLY going to move the saw around. If like me, you just pivot it now and then, the SF is fine.

The machine is smooth and powerful (see my repeated statement below, however) and I smile every time I use it.

A BS is one of the places where bigger is better until it gets overkill for your situation.
I repeat, a BS is one of the places where bigger is better until it gets overkill for your situation.
Not too much but it sure is nice. If your power goes out the switch defaults to the off position.
I'm a parrot, a BS is one of the places where bigger is better until it gets overkill for your situation.
The steel trunnions are well over 1/8" thick and the teeth are not stamped out like some folks seem to think. They are a seperate hardened steel piece and are bolted to the steel trunnion plates. I've cut some big stuff and had no issues with the trunnions.

Think about what you'll be doing and then you can decide if your money is better spent on a bit more size or other items. Either way, enjoy the ride.

Wade Lippman
04-14-2008, 8:33 PM
Hey, thanks for the suggestion, Wade. That's just the kind of thing I was wondering about. You know, I hadn't considered G0514X. I guess I thought if I was going any bigger, I might as well get the X2.

I'm looking at the G0514X on the Grizzly comparison chart. For $200 more I get:

I wondered about the cast iron trunnions, but couldn't justify the price difference. I have hunks of wood up there that I needed help to lift and the table is perfectly stable. I can't see how CI would be an improvement.
A BS is one tool where a really big one doesn't take up any more space or cost much more. Go for it. (bigger is always better)

Jeremy Leasure
04-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I bought the 513X2 a month or so ago. The only thing I regret about it is the fact I didn't wait for the backordered 514x2 I'd originally planned on buying. Why? The footbrake. Those huge cast iron wheels take what seems like forever to spin down sometimes. I guess its only an issue if you back out of kerfs a lot.

Greg Cole
04-15-2008, 9:00 AM
I have the 513X2. I have yet to have a scenario-cut where I needed extra horsepower, granted I don't work with any ultra hard exotics, but hard maple isn't 'xactly like resawing butter. This weekend I resawed some hard maple in the 8-10" widths quite handily.
A brake would be a welcome addition, but I can live without it & if I really want one, I'm sure I can make one. No biggie for me as I use the BS for resaw mostly and some ripping of thicker stock.
Mag switch isn't a deciding factor here. Dual dust ports are a must.
I like the CI trunions, and the steel ones are fine too. Funny how many seem to squeal about the $ or need of CI trunions but then complain about far east machinery not being on par with old 'arn or the Euro brands.:confused: When I ever get around to moving back to Vermont, I have uncles in the lumber industry & will have access to log butt sections etc etc so I like the extra meat of the CI trunnions.
I'd had lust for the 19" too (visions of moving back to VT again), but the ceiling in the current shop won't permit the bigger machine & the 12" resaw on the 513 series saws is adequate for me.
Plus a cheaper saw allows for buying 2-3-4 blades, mobile base etc.

Cheers & as Glenn said, enjoy the ride.

Greg

Pat Germain
04-16-2008, 1:45 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone.

I'm going to be out of town next week. I think I'll wait until I get back to order the saw. I don't want it to arrive when I'm not home and it's not something I want left on the porch.

glenn bradley
04-16-2008, 8:32 PM
I bought the 513X2 a month or so ago. The only thing I regret about it is the fact I didn't wait for the backordered 514x2 I'd originally planned on buying. Why? The footbrake. Those huge cast iron wheels take what seems like forever to spin down sometimes. I guess its only an issue if you back out of kerfs a lot.

Jeremy has an excellent point. I wish my G0513X had a brake. It does take a spell to wind down.