PDA

View Full Version : First Sphere

Matt Hutchinson
04-13-2008, 6:26 PM
Well, my new lathe has opened up a world of possibilities. I have always wanted to get into sphere making. So I jumped right in and here's what I came up with. The first ball I made had a bunch of burnish marks from the friction chuck, and I didn't feel like working on it anymore. So the second one got padded with layered paper towel for the sanding process. It did the trick, and now I have a worthy 2.5 inch diameter sycamore ball. How sweet!

I knew the process, but I guessed on some of the tool techniques. I have a feeling I could have done things more smoothly. What tools are recommended for this, especially since the grain keeps getting reoriented? I have done a little searching, but I did not find much about tool selection and technique.

Hutch

Martin Shupe
04-13-2008, 7:03 PM
Looks nice and round to me! Well done.

I have done eggs with a skew, but I'm still working on making a really nice one. Perhaps a skew would work for spheres, too, but I am a beginner, so you might want to listen to somebody else who might have a better idea.

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2008, 7:06 PM
Very nice sphere Matt! I've never tries anything that complex yet - you sure did a nice job on it! Whatever tool(s) you are using sure seem to be working!

robert hainstock
04-13-2008, 7:36 PM
I have never tried to turn a ball, and quite frankly I'm a little anticipitory, (nervous) about trying one. Nice job. :)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Nice job Matt. I have never tried one of those yet.

Richard Madison
04-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Great looking sphere, Matt. My first one looks like an acorn without the cap. May try another one someday.

Paul Douglass
04-14-2008, 10:47 AM
I would think that would be one of the most difficult things to turn. When you feel completely comfortable making them you should put together a tutorial to post. Better yet a video. Nice job.

Matt Hutchinson
04-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks all! I definitely would have to make a bunch more before I could make a tutorial or video. This one is about 1/4" smaller than what it's supposed to be. I had to keep shaving it down before I got it right. I'll let you know if I come up with a tried and true method. I will certainly be making more, cuz they're fun to make, and I imagine these would be hot sellers. A person could put a decently low price on them and still make good money. It's very possible to make a 6" ball or smaller in 30 min. or less once the system is refined and perfected.

Hutch

Ben Gastfriend
04-14-2008, 5:56 PM
Looks cool. This would sure be something I'd want to try. Now you need to make a little pedestal for it. Wait... is that a carved and airbrushed finger-shaped pedestal...:rolleyes:

Skip Spaulding
04-14-2008, 7:31 PM
Great ball Matt! I have often thought it would be fun to turn a croquet set, balls, mallets etc. Looks like you may have inspired me to give it a try. Thanks.