PDA

View Full Version : new gloat (i score again) now theres pics

curtis rosche
04-13-2008, 5:49 PM
awsome new gloat. Just got some lam beams, the ones that its all dofferent peices not the venear ones, i had seen a bowl blank on ebay and then decided it look good and wanted to try it. so trying to find some i found that other beam i posted but then i went to STOCK BUILDING SUPPLY they have a warehouse here. i got peices from 3in - 8in thick:eek: and 3ft- 6ft long. 16-18 wide. i knew they would have them but i couldnt have dreamed of this. they gave them to me for free!:eek: they cut the peice the person buys then they burn the rest!:eek::mad:(waste) i will post pics later.

P.S. is any one here involved in the school TSA? www.tsa.org (http://www.tsa.org) ? i just got back from a 4 day state confrence at seven springs 5 star ski resort. just wondering if anyone else is involved in it any where?

curtis rosche
04-13-2008, 7:58 PM
heres the pics... sorry i lied,,,,,,, the biggest is 6in thick the others are 3 guess i shouldnt estimate next time

curtis rosche
04-13-2008, 8:28 PM
any one evr try these instead of the laminated ones?

curtis rosche
04-14-2008, 11:18 AM
no one?????

Brodie Brickey
04-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Curtis,

Congratulations on the score. A member of our turning club used a piece like that to turn a nice hollow form. He said it required a lot of sharp tools and a lot of CA to fill the gaps from pieces tearing out.

It was a really nice piece, but required more time than your average bowl.

Cyril Griesbach
04-14-2008, 12:02 PM
You'll be turning mostly glue and thus need to sharpen tools often. There will be lots of tear out and voids that need to be filled. The piece will look quite different from "side grain" to "end grain". However, if you are able to solve (endure) all the issues associated with this you may get a piece that is quite different in appearance. A member of our club has shown us some very nice results with this LamBeam. I put it in the "crappy wood" class.

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2008, 1:59 PM
I agree. Lots of tool sharpening. I tried once with all kinds of tear out and used lots of super glue. Not worth turning in my opinion.

curtis rosche
04-14-2008, 7:07 PM
just more scraping at very high speed and then sanding with 30 or 40 grit clothbacked