PDA

View Full Version : "New" spinny thing. (Gloat)

John Miliunas
03-28-2004, 9:14 PM
Cruising through eBay a week or so ago, like I'm prone to do. Just for kicks, I do a search on "Lathes". There sits this Vega 2400. I almost completely glanced over it until I saw that it was pretty close to me. (This in itself is highly unusual, as most of the good buys are way South of here or on one of the coasts.) I drop the guy a note with a couple questions. Turns out, he's the former owner of the lathe and just helping his buddy sell it. (He himself had upgraded to a VB-36!) Anyhow, long story short: A "new" or even new used lathe really wasn't in the budget, but after discussing it with LOML, decided to try the minimum bid. Turned out to be the *only* bid! I guess there were loads of people interested, but the distance thing was too much for them and this puppy weighs in at 500+lbs. :)

Well, the buying price even included delivery! Good to his word, Chris pulled up in my driveway this afternoon with the Vega! I arranged for a couple friends to assist in hauling this beast off the back of his truck, one of which happens to be a rather stealth SMC member! (Come on Frank...Get with the program!) Couldn't have done it without him and my other friend! :D

Anyhow, to the lathe itself. It's about 3 years old and is their top of the line, with the VSR control and all that. Included were a few custom tool rests and extension for the tailstock. It's had use, with some paint chips and some surface rust, but nothing unsurmountable (especially after the W&H rebuild!). Runs just like new! Tomorrow, I stop at the local toy store and pickup the proper thread insert for my Super Nova, do a bit more cleaning on it and take it for a spin! I'll let you know how it all turns out! Here's a few pics for your viewing pleasure: 1) Basic shot of the unit. 2) Closer shot of the additional tool rests. 3) A sticker you don't see often enough nowadays! Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

Jim Becker
03-28-2004, 9:26 PM
Looks great, John! It really is in super condition and should keep you plenty busy with larger bowls and vessels. I'm glad it worked out with your bid, too. That's a steal...:eek:

A little cleaning and touchup paint should deal with the rusty areas, especially on that tail stock extension which appears to be un-painted in your pics.

John Miliunas
03-28-2004, 9:43 PM
That's a steal...:eek:

A little cleaning and touchup paint should deal with the rusty areas, especially on that tail stock extension which appears to be un-painted in your pics.

Thanks Jim! Yeah, it was a REAL good deal, I think. You're right on the extension; Bare bones. I'm going to go ahead and clean/paint it, but I think I'm going to try the unit without it completely for a while. I very much doubt I'm going to jump into the gargantuan size pieces right away, as I need to get used to the machine and new stance. New challenges await...I just hope I'm up to the task! :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
03-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Very Cool John!! Now I suppose that all of your flatwork tools are just going to sit there lonely and forgotten. If any of the flat tools get to feeling really bad just send them on up my way.

Can't wait to see the first pics of the stuff off that monster.

Dean

Kent Cori
03-28-2004, 11:33 PM
John,

Cool new toy. You ought to be able to make lots of firewood for next winter with that baby. :cool:

Dale Thompson
03-29-2004, 12:28 AM
John,
That machine is WAY too good for a cheesehead. If I were you, I would let my daughter give me a few lessons before I potentially messed up a quality piece of machinery. :) :)

Congrats, bud, you done did it right!! :) :p

Dale T.

Terry Quiram
03-29-2004, 7:11 AM
John

Congradulations!!! I finally got to turn a bowl on my Stubby (waiting for finish to dry on my flat job). You should fill in behind that tool rest with a triangular piece of wood. I believe the reason is that you will be holding the tool differently to accommodate and could get into a dangerous position. What is the max size you can turn?

Terry

John Miliunas
03-29-2004, 8:17 AM
Thanks for the additional comments, gents. Dean, the world is STILL flat and will be for a long time! Well, at least, until I get the bathroom and kitchen done, anyway! :D
Kent, I no longer have any fireplaces/woodburners, but you're still right. Many of my friends are usually quite happy when I get a new WW tool. They'll be ecstatic about THIS one! :rolleyes:
Dale, you're right: I *need* any and all the lessons I can get! That's one of the reasons I got this beast...It's heavy-duty and will break me long before I break it! :)
Terry, that Stubby is one helluva' unit! Way, WAY out of my price league, so I'll have to make due with the Vega. 'Course, like I iterated in the above comment, it's a far more capable machine than anything I can throw at it, so it should last me the rest of my life. It'll take up to a 24" blank and, depending on which of the two pulley positions the belt is on, the VSR will take the rpm's down to the single digits without torque loss. :cool:

Glenn Hodges
03-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad someone got it that appreciates it. Now get busy and post some pots and bowls pictures from it.

Dick Parr
03-29-2004, 1:53 PM
Congratulations John, it looks like you did good AGAIN… :p

Bob Hovde
03-29-2004, 2:31 PM
John,

Please take the 2400 for a quick spin (Ouch!) and let us know how it works. I am new here (stealth viewer) and am ready to upgrade to a "real" lathe from my Shopsmith. I have been looking at the 2400 and the PM3520A. The Vega intrigues me, in that I already can turn spindles, etc., on the Shopsmith and I don't have a lot of shop room. I have come into a lot of big pieces of walnut, cherry and maple and want to work up to larger bowls/vessels.

I understand that the PM prices will go up 8% at the end of April, so I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks,
Bob

John Miliunas
03-29-2004, 2:43 PM
John,

Please take the 2400 for a quick spin (Ouch!) and let us know how it works. I am new here (stealth viewer) and am ready to upgrade to a "real" lathe from my Shopsmith. I have been looking at the 2400 and the PM3520A. The Vega intrigues me, in that I already can turn spindles, etc., on the Shopsmith and I don't have a lot of shop room. I have come into a lot of big pieces of walnut, cherry and maple and want to work up to larger bowls/vessels.

I understand that the PM prices will go up 8% at the end of April, so I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, first and foremost, a BIG welcome to the Creek! Glad you signed up!

I definitely plan on taking it for a test drive very soon. I *do*, however, need to get some priority "honey-do's" off the list before proceeding. (I kinda' spent my "honey do" day making room, unloading and setting up the lathe.... :D ). It *WILL* be way, way before the end of April, though! That I can guarantee! :cool:

Michael Ballent
03-29-2004, 2:51 PM
Where did you hear that PM prices were heading up? Just curious... I guess with the weak dollar things might start to be made back in the US?

Bob Hovde
03-29-2004, 2:55 PM
Where did you hear that PM prices were heading up? Just curious... I guess with the weak dollar things might start to be made back in the US?

There is a message about it on the Osolnik Machinery Website. It is due to the rising cost of steel.

Bob

John Davidson
03-29-2004, 7:39 PM
John, You have exceeded your gloat limit for the year.

Dale Thompson
03-29-2004, 9:45 PM
Thanks for the additional comments, gents. Dean, the world is STILL flat and will be for a long time! Well, at least, until I get the bathroom and kitchen done, anyway! :D
Kent, I no longer have any fireplaces/woodburners, but you're still right. Many of my friends are usually quite happy when I get a new WW tool. They'll be ecstatic about THIS one! :rolleyes:
Dale, you're right: I *need* any and all the lessons I can get! That's one of the reasons I got this beast...It's heavy-duty and will break me long before I break it! :)
Terry, that Stubby is one helluva' unit! Way, WAY out of my price league, so I'll have to make due with the Vega. 'Course, like I iterated in the above comment, it's a far more capable machine than anything I can throw at it, so it should last me the rest of my life. It'll take up to a 24" blank and, depending on which of the two pulley positions the belt is on, the VSR will take the rpm's down to the single digits without torque loss. :cool:

John,
Ain't that there VSR and low-end torque sweet? I'm jealous of both YOUR lathe AND mine. Personally, I only have ONE speed, "Slow Turtle" . In addition, I don't have any torque on ANY end. :o :cool: :)

I'm glad to hear that you FINALLY stood up for your manhood and bought yourself a REAL lathe. Maybe now you can quit hiding behind that phoney mustache you paste on every morning and explain to "Honey-Do" that turning is more important than eating in a new kitchen. Then again, you could probably swap the lathe for a real nice shovel to dig your own grave!? :D :D :D

CONGRATS -- AGAIN!!!

Dale T.

Michael Ballent
03-30-2004, 3:29 AM
Thanks for the information... It does sound like the weaker dollar is starting to have an effect... Perhaps the foundries can start back up ;)

Steve Inniss
04-05-2004, 8:57 PM
John, Just went back and saw this post. Excellent, nice going -congratulations. Although my lathe is not a Vega, I have a Vega duplicator. In addition to a well engineered product, I have found their customer service outstanding. -Steve

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 10:07 PM
John, Just went back and saw this post. Excellent, nice going -congratulations. Although my lathe is not a Vega, I have a Vega duplicator. In addition to a well engineered product, I have found their customer service outstanding. -Steve

Thanks Steve! Yes, it's a heavy-duty unit, built like a brick Schmidtthouse! :D You're right about their CS, too. I didn't get a manual with it, and one of the handles was bent out of wack. After sending them an email, one of the guys simply wrote his 800 number & ext. down and said to call. I ordered the part, some touch-up paint and the manual. All at my doorstep two days later! That's pretty good, I'd say. :cool:

Mark Kauder
04-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Oh, I did a search and found it.

Impressions after using it a while??

Mark