PDA

View Full Version : New router table in process.

Deck Reagan
04-13-2008, 11:12 AM
I am in the process of building another router table. This is my fourth and maybe final. This is the biggest so far. It is 39" wide by 26" deep. I have a few questions. I am using a woodhaven insert. Is it easier to cut out the center hole with a jig saw before you route out the lip to hold the plate? Or after?

Can I be sucessful routing the plate the to be flush without the use of levelers or is will this be an issue down the road?

Finally if I use leveler I am thinking about using brass inserts with screws supportig the plate. What's a better suggestion.

By the way, My table is 1 1/2 inch thick MDF with a formica later on top.

Thanks,

Deck

Anthony Whitesell
04-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Do part of the center first then route the lip. If you're careful you won't need the levelers.

Check this link on how to do it in only 4 measurements.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/dgroups/index.jsp?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a8068d542-84e7-4789-9133-cb8743c46c54Forum%3a8fe7d6c2-8c46-4913-9d3a-73930f41a8d6Discussion%3a2dd1f1c7-59d1-4b65-b618-aa23b6ba9cdd&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0

This was the first how-to post I made and I know I might have missed a few pictures/steps. So I'll keep an eye on this thread and if you reply back to this thread I'll be more than happy to help you and answer or clarify anything.

Ben Grunow
04-13-2008, 2:07 PM
If I were going to use levelers (and I would probably) I would epoxy in some locknuts with the plastic rings so the vibrations would not cause them to adjust themselves over time.

Deck Reagan
04-13-2008, 5:39 PM
Good point. After doing som reading it looks like a common way is to drill a hole all the way through the table and put in inserts. Then screw the bolts from the bottom of the table and let the insert sit on the ends of the screws. Also put a nut and washer on the bottom of the table to snug it up.

deck

Greg Hines, MD
04-13-2008, 7:32 PM
I would rout the rabbet first. I would use four 1/2" or 3/4" MDF pieces to surround the insert, and butt them right up against it, then use a pattern making bit to follow them. My pattern bit is 3/4" diameter, so it would give a perfect radius to your corners.

After the rabbet is cut, then you can use a jigsaw, or a circular saw to cut out the middle.

I have levelers for my plate, even though I cut the rabbet as close to the thickness as I could. My Rousseau plate did come with nylon levelers and brass inserts, but I replaced the nylon screws with brass ones, because I was worried that the nylon would wear, and when they bind in the insert (which a couple of them did) then you cannot adjust them.

Doc