PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bark, any guesses?

Jeff Hallam
04-13-2008, 10:16 AM
I took this photo because the bark was so different from anything I had seen before. I thought I would post it here to see if anyone can guess the type of tree. It almost looks like some kind of military camo pattern don't you think?

Jon Klear
04-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Rainbow Eucalyptus?

Dick Bringhurst
04-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Ditto. Dick B.

Brandon Shew
04-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Bald Cypress?

Stephen Edwards
04-13-2008, 11:15 PM
sycamore tree?

Dave MacArthur
04-14-2008, 2:16 AM
That there is without question eucalyptus camocus. It works very nice with either a hand axe or a survival knife. One time we were pinned down in the bush, with enemy forces closing in from all directions. During the night, we stripped the bark and made ghilly suits for ourselves from some of these trees, enabling us to lay low while the enemy moved past us in the early morning. Later, I was to again have the pleasure of working the wood itself using adze and hand-plane, when we built a giant wooden rabbit for our counter-attack.

Definitely eucalyptus camocus.

Cody Colston
04-14-2008, 2:25 AM
That there is without question eucalyptus camocus. It works very nice with either a hand axe or a survival knife. One time we were pinned down in the bush, with enemy forces closing in from all directions. During the night, we stripped the bark and made ghilly suits for ourselves from some of these trees, enabling us to lay low while the enemy moved past us in the early morning. Later, I was to again have the pleasure of working the wood itself using adze and hand-plane, when we built a giant wooden rabbit for our counter-attack.

Definitely eucalyptus camocus.

:):):):):):):):):):)

Joe Chritz
04-14-2008, 4:27 AM
I built a giant wooden badger with it once.

At least one other person has a twisted sense of movie humor.

Joe

Jeff Hallam
04-14-2008, 3:38 PM
:D Loved the responses (esp. Dave's)

Here is the follow up picture that should settle the matter. Pictures were taken at the Dole Pineapple plantation on Oahu. Thanks for playing along.