PDA

View Full Version : how to make hanging grooves in back of a sign?

Leo Zick
04-13-2008, 10:11 AM
so, my wine cellar sign is nearly complete, maybe one more coat of tung oil. now, the dilemma, i want to hang it and can either drill holes (but i dont have plugs to match bubinga), or put grooves in the back for screws to slide into.

does a router bit exist to make these notched grooves? or, any other suggestions?
thanks!

Jeff Hallam
04-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes, the router bit does exist. I know that LV sells one, here is the link.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=30113&cat=1,46168,46176&ap=1

Leo Zick
04-13-2008, 10:22 AM
ohhhhh, sexy..keyhole bit!
Thanks!

gonna check my local sears hardware first. :)
Thanks!

Doug Jones from Oregon
04-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Keyhole bits are avail by a number of folks. Quality does vary...take it real slow as it is easy to snap the cutter portion from the shaft.

The very best I found are the Hersaf solid carbide cutters. I use the ones that you just screw onto your exsisting hersaf shaft, but they are not the cheapest.

Doug

mark page
04-13-2008, 1:15 PM
A lot of companys make keyhole slot bits. One word of advise from someone who has used them, I do not like them. What I use are the steel keyhole inserts. I make a jig and use a router to flush mount them, similiar to making a mortise, and use a forstner bit for the relief for the screw head. These are a lot stronger and there is no stress on the wood from the screw head. Once the jig is made, there is also not a lot of room for error during the machining process. PM me or email me if you need more info about them.

Ed Howe
04-13-2008, 7:45 PM
I second Mark's comment. Use metal keyhole inserts for durability and strength.