PDA

View Full Version : Resaw Blades: 2nd out-of-hibernation question

EliotMason
03-28-2004, 8:04 PM
The second task I need to complete while out of my career imposed wood hibernation is resawing a bunch of semi-green balckwalnut I've had sitting around for the winter. LOML wants it out of the side yard...

I've been using a Timberwolf 1" 2TPI blade - which works beautifully for a few feet and then dulls up. I may have gotten 40 lineal feet (by about 11") out of the most recent blade. At $20+ a blade, I have at least another $80 ahead of me. That makes this once free walnut more expensive!

Maybe it's my technique, but it's easier and immediately gratifying to buy something. So I'm thinking about investing in better blades... like, the expensive ones with carbide and stuff on them. Lenox is certainly an option. Anyone out there try the new Laguna Resaw blade? Others?

Thanks for the advice...

have to post more often...

Eliot Mason

Jim Becker
03-28-2004, 8:55 PM
Suffolk makes the AS blade specifically for cutting wet wood. It's available in 1/2" width which is just fine for this purpose. The set and tooth configuration, as well as the thicker stock, are made for this purpose. But you're also asking your blade to do a very hard job. If your machine is at least 16", consider using the 1/2" Lennox carbide tipped blade avialable from Iturra. It will last a lot longer under tough conditions...like a year.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Suffolk makes the AS blade specifically for cutting wet wood. It's available in 1/2" width which is just fine for this purpose. The set and tooth configuration, as well as the thicker stock, are made for this purpose. But you're also asking your blade to do a very hard job. If your machine is at least 16", consider using the 1/2" Lennox carbide tipped blade avialable from Iturra. It will last a lot longer under tough conditions...like a year.

Jim, I was wondering if it was only me who gets no life out of a suffolk blade. Resaw something 8 or 10 inches thick and hard and its dull in 20 or 30 feet.

I've also used a woodslicer and it lasts longer, but still not long enough in my opinion.

I'm going to get a Lennox carbide for my mm16, but Ive been waiting so I could get the one designed for smaller bandsaws. In the meantime I'm going to get a bimetal. Hope it lasts longer than the suffolk.

Jim Becker
03-28-2004, 10:40 PM
I've been running a 1" Lenox carbide on my MM16 with no problem, but detension religiously after each use. I suspect it will fatigue faster than on a larger saw, but them's the breaks! They are working on a new forumulation for the 1" blades that should help reduce that problem.

In the mean time, the 1/2" carbide is supposed to be just fine as it uses thinner blade stock. Talk to Iturra about it as it will definately blow away the bi-metal for longevity many times over. And in theory...the carbide blade can be resharpened.

EliotMason
03-29-2004, 12:05 AM
Jim:

I'm using the Grizzly 17", which has been great for the price but still leaves me longing....But I can use a 1" blade.

do you have contact info for Iturra? They don't seem to have a web presence and the most recent email I found was two years cold.

I noticed that Grizzly sells a Lenox carbide blade for this saw. I'll have to verify its the Tri - but at $150 it's definitely worth looking around.

Thanks,

EM