PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Deal

chris yount
04-13-2008, 9:21 AM
Amazon has a 12" 80 tooth Denali blade for $39.99.They are also offering the same blade with a 10" combo pack (40t + 60t) for $84.
I thought I'd give everyone a heads up.Seems like a great deal.
Chris

James White
04-13-2008, 9:55 AM
It seems like allot of the Denali stuff is on sale. http://www.amazon.com/Denali-4-Inch-Clamp-Fixture-12-pack/dp/B000NDHN90/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1208094302&sr=1-32

Can anyone recommend this blade as a good blade for SCMS. It will be for furniture work. Is the 80 tooth ok? Will I be better off with a 90 tooth.

The twelve pack of pipe clamps is awfully tempting. I have two sets of rockler sure foot pipe clamps and like them very much. It seems that perhaps the rockler has a larger camping depth. Does anyone know the clamping depth on the Denali?

James

scott spencer
04-13-2008, 10:24 AM
...Can anyone recommend this blade as a good blade for SCMS. It will be for furniture work. Is the 80 tooth ok? Will I be better off with a 90 tooth....

James

Hi James - The Denali line seems to be Amazon's house brand from what I can tell. I've never tried their saw blades....they look "ok" from a picture but you really can't tell much....made in China, positive hook angle, ATB grind, laser cut. They might be fine, but there are so many well proven choices I wouldn't chance it. Especially with some of the crazy low prices Amazon and others sometimes offers on them. The quality and selection of the blade determine the end results of the cut....I'd hold off for a known higher quality blade.

How many teeth to use really depends on what you want to cut and how clean you want the finish. There's a basic linear relationship between the number of teeth and how fast a blade cuts...more teeth typically means cleaner cut but slower pace and more strain, but there are many other factors. There's not going to be a lot of difference between an 80 and 90 tooth blade if all other parameters are equal. For a SCMS, it's more important to have a blade with a low to negative hook angle (no more than a positive 10°), which is the direction the teeth "lean" compared to an imaginary line drawn from the center of the bore to the face of the tooth (forward lean is positive, backward is negative). Anywhere from 20 to 100 teeth can be acceptable depending on your objective....for furniture grade cuts 60-100 teeth should be fine. In a 12" blade, I prefer full kerf because of the span, but many get good results from the TK's too.

Current deals - For ~ $53 shipped, Holbren has a 72T Amana A.G.E (http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=3535&cat=0&page=1). with a negative hook. I haven't tried this one either but they're a known quality manufacturer, and he'll stand behind it if you aren't happy with it. Also, check out the German made Leitz/Delta Industrial blades that Mike Jackson has clearanced... Delta 12" 35-654 80 tooth (http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=3620833&Forum=f4&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3543987&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=33376&daterange=1&newerval=6&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3620833), ATB ,1" bore, neg 6 degree hook,.125 kerf, $25....I've tried several of these in 10" and have found them all to be very good performers.

James White
04-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply. My gut is starting to tell me that this brand is using the Macy's pricing scam. If you pay the full retail you get ripped off. If you pay the sales price you get a fair deal. Not a good deal. I thought it strange for a manufacturer to make the following statement. "saw blades offer top performance at a premium price". Ill take a pass. on this offer that seems too good to be true. 70% savings.

James

scott spencer
04-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi Scott,

... "saw blades offer top performance at a premium price"....

James

I missed that! Thanks for the chuckle! :D

Terry Browne
04-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I bought the Denali 10" 40/60 combo pack on March 28th. for $21.61. It was a deal that I couldn't pass up. Today the blades are $43.75 - still a pretty good deal. I haven't used either blade yet, but they look like quality items.