PDA

View Full Version : Rhododendron...thing

Nathan Conner
04-13-2008, 9:19 AM
So, I'm still a total novice at turning, but yesterday while cleaning up the yard I found that after I'd cut down a small Rhododendron - we have over 100, I'd guess - there was some stable wood in the 6" trunk. I threw it on the lathe for kicks, and it actually came off the lathe alright. I'll keep it around as a curio piece just to see if anyone can ever identify it.

The figure was really interesting - some flaming, some quilting, and neat cross-grain, it was soft and easy to work with. Fairly wet, still, but was able to get the walls nice and thin (probably < 1.8") and it sanded like a dream. It's about 4" tall.

If you get your hands on some pretty gnarly trunks from this odd shrub, give it a try. It's pretty satisfying stuff. Sorry for the photo quality. The recent cutting board was the only clean surface I could find in the shop

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2008, 10:45 AM
That's some really pretty wood Nathan! Nice form! I would imagine the type of wood question would stump everyone -never seen any get that big around this neck of the woods! Nice work!

Caren Cowie
04-13-2008, 3:34 PM
Oh how I love rhodos! Your bowl is beautiful!

Allen Neighbors
04-13-2008, 4:41 PM
Yep, beautiful, alright! Nice shape, too.
A friend turned a root of this plant, really thin, while wet, and it twisted up like an ugly old man when it dried.
Rhododendrons are about 1/2" max, here. :(

Richard Madison
04-14-2008, 1:06 AM
And he said a "small" rhodo-whatever. That's a very attractive piece, Nathan! Might need to cut down a "big one" some day.

Jim Becker
04-14-2008, 8:09 AM
Rhododendron turns very nicely. It's root burl is wonderful. And many folks who "do mushrooms" also like it. Very nice piece!

robert hainstock
04-14-2008, 9:20 AM
MyLOML let me have some last year, all 1 in to 1 1/4 for pens. You prove thatit can be a fiable turning wood. Nice job. :):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2008, 9:39 AM
Great looking piece. Well done.

Ben Gastfriend
04-14-2008, 5:57 PM
That is some really nice grain pattern, and a cool form.
Never seen it get that big round here.

Skip Spaulding
04-14-2008, 8:01 PM
Nice bowl, pretty wood, interesting to see local woods from other areas of the U.S. Thanks