PDA

View Full Version : A fun level project with an offcut

Bob Oswin
03-08-2003, 1:10 PM
I made this level using an offcut of Cocobolo and a couple of those string levels (about 50 cents each).
The brass came from a hobby shop.
The plan is in one of the Shopnotes issues.
If any one is interested in making one, e-mail me and I will dig up the correct issue number.
Took about 3 hours.
There is no finish on the wood as yet.
Maybe never.

:)

Bob

Howard Barlow
03-08-2003, 1:12 PM
Looks great! Did you remember to put a bubble in the vials? :D

Von Bickley
03-08-2003, 1:50 PM
Dr. Bob,

Nice looking level. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Jim Young
03-08-2003, 5:16 PM
How do you know the tubes in the level are level? Drilling square through the side is easy but I don't see how to square up through the long way.

Bob Oswin
03-08-2003, 6:11 PM
Originally posted by Jim Young
How do you know the tubes in the level are level? Drilling square through the side is easy but I don't see how to square up through the long way.

Hi jim!
It's really quite simple once you see it.
The level float is mounted on a separate cradle which is suspended on two springs and screws.
Turning the screws in or out tilts the float.
It's under the brass top plate.
The end level is just a good guess and then sanded to plumb once seated.

Thanks for asking.
Regards

Bob

Tom Sweeney
03-08-2003, 6:25 PM
Nice job Bob - beautiful wood too. I like the idea of making your own tools. I'm not ready to try yet - but this looks like a good project.

Dave Hammelef
03-08-2003, 6:26 PM
Looks Very Nice

Steve K
03-08-2003, 6:36 PM
That's a neat project and really nice looking. It's funny, as much as I like making jigs, I don't know if I've ever made a tool like that.

Steve (http://www2.fwi.com/~krumy)

Jim Izat
03-08-2003, 6:44 PM
Beautiful job Bob,

I've got to make one, what shopnotes was it in?

Jim Izat

Bob Oswin
03-08-2003, 7:21 PM
shoot, I left it in my shop.
O.K. if i send it our to you tomorrow?

My shop is 10 miles from my house.

Bob

Jim Izat
03-08-2003, 7:26 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Bob Oswin
shoot, I left it in my shop.
O.K. if i send it our to you tomorrow?

My shop is 10 miles from my house.

Bob

<center><b><font size = 3 color = blue>Thank you sir!

Jim Izat

Bob Oswin
03-09-2003, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by Jim Izat
Beautiful job Bob,

I've got to make one, what shopnotes was it in?

Jim Izat

Hi again Jim:
This is the issue with the detailed instructions for the level.

http://www.backissuestore.com/sn035.html

Enjoy.

Bob

Ron McNeil
03-09-2003, 9:38 AM
Nice job on the level Dr. Bob, it looks very nice. Thanks for sharing.:p

Lars Thomas
03-09-2003, 10:52 PM
Dr. Bob. I love shop made tools. They have so much more character then the anything you can purchase. Nice job. Lars

Jim Morrow
03-10-2003, 12:16 AM
I don't think I could work with those. I would probrably make a nice frame for them and hang them on the wall. ;-) those are real beauties.
Thanks for posting,
Jim

Garrett Lambert
03-10-2003, 12:34 AM
Great project and well executed.

Not important, but are you sure it's cocobolo? Looks like wenge in the photo. Cocobolo is brown with reddish tones and not a lot of obvious grain. It can give off a sweet odour when cut. Wenge is black and brown with very distinctive grain.

Cheers, Garrett

Todd Burch
03-10-2003, 12:41 AM
Whatever wood it is, (and I would second Garrett), it sure beats my plastic torpedo!

Good job. Todd.

Bob Oswin
03-10-2003, 8:07 AM
Originally posted by Garrett
Great project and well executed.

Not important, but are you sure it's cocobolo? Looks like wenge in the photo. Cocobolo is brown with reddish tones and not a lot of obvious grain. It can give off a sweet odour when cut. Wenge is black and brown with very distinctive grain.

Cheers, Garrett

One of the nice mysteries about Cocobolo is that every package has a prize Like Jack in the Box popcorn.
I have a good sized horde of this species and really like the way it handles. I am afraid I have become addicted to the aroma of the cuttings, almost like a peppery, fresh coffee, etc aroma.

I have a very high tolerance to irritants so the dust does not affect me appreciably. I understand that some individuals develop contact dermatitis from this species.

As for the wenge, I have only used a couple of small pieces an would welcome more it the price weren't so dear.
Garrett you have a good eye to spot the similarity.

Regards
Bob