PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy

Eddie Watkins
04-13-2008, 2:37 AM
I am thinking about organizing some old family records my late aunt left me and trying to gather some more information on family history and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations of books/ software/ services available that would be helpful. I have looked online and there are lots of resources available for a fee but I'm not sure which are good and which are not. Any recommendation is appreciated.

Eddie

Mike Armstrong
04-13-2008, 3:52 AM
I am thinking about organizing some old family records my late aunt left me and trying to gather some more information on family history. . .
Wow, that's like somebody starting out in woodworking asking what tools to get and what books to read.

Here's a site that reviewed some programs, but I don't know who sponsors it or how (un)biased it is: http://genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ (http://genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/) I've used Legacy for years, but I'm also familiar with Roots Magic and some others. There are a number of really good programs on the market. Most of the big ones offer a free version that you can get started with. And usually the data you enter can later be transferred to a different program if you switch.

I'm active in several genealogical groups in the San Diego area. My first suggestion is that you find a group in your area that offers a free beginners class (or classes) You really need to have some background in maintaining and organizing records before you jump into it. Otherwise, you can waste a lot of time and energy with incomplete or inaccurate methods of documentation. Just a little bit of knowledge will be very helpful to you at this point.

But be very careful! It's terribly addictive!;)

Mike

Eddie Watkins
04-13-2008, 8:06 AM
Thanks, Mike. It never ceases to amaze me all the knowledge available here at SMC.

Eddie

Jon Todd
04-13-2008, 8:22 AM
I found out that someone had done one on our family already by doing a goggle search on my Grandfather. They have it going back to the late 1700's