PDA

View Full Version : Making parallel cuts

Sean Troy
04-12-2008, 11:25 PM
What would be the best way to cut a log section making both ends of the log parallel with each other. I'm hoping for a quick aesy way as this may be the only time I'll need this kind of precision. thanks for any help. Sean

Carl Fox
04-12-2008, 11:48 PM
How big is the log?:confused:

Sean Troy
04-13-2008, 1:28 AM
How big is the log?:confused:
14" diameter.

Carl Fox
04-13-2008, 2:11 AM
and how long? Do you just want to make the ends parallel? IE if you were to stand it on end on a level surface the top would be level as well, like you were building a table leg?

Rob Will
04-13-2008, 8:42 AM
Hi Sean,
I would lay it on a woodmizer sawmill.
If it is shorter than 4' or so, you may have to attach it to another board.

If the log is small enough to handle, it could go through a regular bandsaw on a sled.

Rob

Ray Schafer
04-13-2008, 8:52 AM
If one end is in the plane that you want to match, you could make a router jig to flatten the opposite end in the same plan.

Sean Troy
04-13-2008, 9:21 AM
and how long? Do you just want to make the ends parallel? IE if you were to stand it on end on a level surface the top would be level as well, like you were building a table leg?
Yes, just the ends parallel with each other . The log is 16" long. I could throw it on the lathe and accomplish this but was wonder if there is a quick way with a chain saw cut.

Scott Banbury
04-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I've done this on my Woodmizer by strapping the log to the mill's frame for the first cut and then screwing a piece of plywood to the resulting face and clamping it to the bed rails.

I've also done it by cutting the first end with a chainsaw and then building a temporary table around the log and using a router on a bridge base to mill the second end parallel.

Vernon Taylor
04-13-2008, 1:23 PM
Could you take two pieces of ply make half a box lay the log on the plu,secure it and run the saw down the sides of the el.

sean m. titmas
04-13-2008, 1:45 PM
take a strip if thin sheet stock, like Masonite or Wackywood, about 12" wide and longer than the circumference of the log and roll it around the log. it will align itself at 90 deg perpendicular to the log. use that to make a mark around the log and than make a shallow chainsaw cut along that line. this cut will guide the bar as you make the final cut across the face of the log. rinse and repeat for the other end of the log.