PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Elmers wood glue?

Dave Lehnert
04-12-2008, 9:18 PM
I see tons of threads on the use of Tightbond. I use Elmer's and never ever a problem. Just wondering if you dislike Elmer's or just prefer Tightbond.

Ken Frohnert
04-12-2008, 10:17 PM
I would think they would be pretty similar but I never see anyone using Elmers. I also see there is an Old Yellar brand that I never hear about either.

Jamie Buxton
04-12-2008, 10:24 PM
I use either Elmers yellow carpenters glue or Titebond, depending on which store I'm in when the old bottle runs out. As far as I can tell, they're the same stuff.

Bob Mircetic
04-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Yup, I use good ol' Elmers too. It's been working great for me, never had a problem with it.

David DeCristoforo
04-12-2008, 10:34 PM
"Yellow" glue is generally considered superior to "white" glue, be it "Elmer's" or anyone else's. But everyone used white glue for many years before yellow glue appeared. None of the things I made years ago with white glue have fallen apart yet (at least not that I'm aware of). I still use white glue for veneering where it's longer "working time" is beneficial.

Ben Cadotte
04-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Most places I go sell Titebond. I noticed that one of the Borgs sells both now. Or always did but didn't notice before. I have always used Titebond, but normally the only choice was Titebond 1 or 2. I would suspect that Elmers and Titebond have very similar properties.

Charlie Plesums
04-12-2008, 10:52 PM
The only difference I have found between Elmer's carpenter glue (yellow) and Titebond (I) is about $3 per gallon, to pay for all their advertising.

Titebond II and III are water resistant (the Titebond III label says waterproof but the specs are only resistant) which means that it is extremely hard to clean up any spills or smears, but in my opinion, water resistant is not waterproof enough for most outdoor uses. Since I have been known to leave a glue fingerprint at the most inopportune places, I only use original Titebond or Elmers so it can be cleaned up. Since I am a cheapskate, I normally get Elmers.

Mike Monroe
04-12-2008, 11:57 PM
I've used Elmers in the past, using Titebond now. I generally pick up whatevers on sale when I need glue. Glue is glue IMHO.

Adam Cavaliere
04-13-2008, 12:02 AM
I've been using elmers as it was what was what I first purchased when I started getting into minor things that required "wood glue". I am almost about to run out and do not see any reason to switch. It has held well for all of the projects I have used it for so far.

I do plan on getting some glue that will hold up well for the next outdoor project I am working on, but for the most part elmers is mine FTW! It brings back those childhood memories! :D

David Tiell
04-13-2008, 12:50 AM
I use Elmers because it's cheaper than Titebond where I am. The main exception is when I make cutting boards or something that will be used outside. Then I use Titebond III.

scott spencer
04-13-2008, 1:01 AM
I've used Elmer's and Titebond and can't really tell a difference. Both work well.

Wayne Cannon
04-13-2008, 2:17 AM
How is it superior? I'm no expert; but the only differences I've heard are (1) the color of the glue line and (2) that yellow glue has about half the open time of white glue. I use white glue when I need a little longer open time and don't have a bottle of Titebond Extend around.

Dewey Torres
04-13-2008, 2:23 AM
I have used both. Buy the cheaper one (or more convenient).
Dewey

Joe Chritz
04-13-2008, 4:37 AM
Here is how I pick glue.

White glue for longer open time when needed.

I buy what is on sale or cheaper when getting gallons.

I use a glue bot bottle so i always buy plain PVA in gallons. For water resistant glue I use a pop top bottle, currently an Elmers bottle until it dies then I buy another pop top that I like. The new Elmers bottles are pretty nice.

The difference in PVA glues are so minor as to be completely irrelevant. Some testing I have read seem to confirm that opinion.

Joe

David DeCristoforo
04-13-2008, 2:41 PM
"How is it superior?"

Wayne, I did not say it was superior. I said it is "generally considered superior"". I'm no "expert either" but the commonly recognized "advantages" of yellow glues are a shorter "set" time, slightly better moisture resistance, better "gap filling" properties, and a "harder" (therefore more "sandable") glue line. Yellow glue is advertised as being "specially formulated" for woodworking while white glue is considered more of an "all purpose" glue. But, in essence, they are more or less the "same", both being PVA glues.

Norman Pyles
04-13-2008, 3:20 PM
Have used both, am using Elmers right now because it's less expensive.

Howard Acheson
04-13-2008, 8:22 PM
I prefer and generally use Elmer's Carpenter's glue. It seems to have a little more initial tack than Titebond. But, from a strength point of view, there's probably little difference between the two. It's just I'm familiar with the Elmers so I am more comfortable with it.

Lance Norris
04-13-2008, 8:51 PM
I have always used Elmers carpenters glue(yellow)with good results. I bought some Titebond 3 for cutting boards because its supposedly water resistant. I used the Titebond 3 to glue up a bowl blank, and you could see the glue lines between layers. It was poplar, and I ended up painting the bowl when it was finished, so it didnt matter, but I wasnt happy about that. It didnt show on the cutting boards though, now that I think about it.

Pat Germain
04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
When I first started woodworking over ten years ago (with a long period of inactivity in-between) I used Elmer's Carpenter's glue because that's what my local store carried. I built a bed for my daughter and fish tank stand for my wife. The Elmer's held them together!

I now use Titebond because, again, it's what's available and it comes in nice, big bottles. I'm sure large bottles of Elmer's are available, but I don't recall ever seeing any.

Cary Falk
04-13-2008, 10:47 PM
I use Elmer's becuase it is available and cheeper than Titebond. I have not had any problems.

Ken Frohnert
04-14-2008, 6:32 AM
Good question I have been wondering about this myself.

tim harris
04-14-2008, 6:49 AM
I have used both on residential casework. Around replacement windows on casing too. I find that the gallon of tightbond II accepts a cold or freeze thaw cycle better than elmers in any smaller bottle. It tends to thicken up and lump on me. Other than the initial "slide and stickiness" that I like with tightbond, as opposed to the "slipperyness" of the elmers, I think that they both work well. I have used TBIII but have yet to use it in a wet location, just a damp location. ( In the shed, not on the outside of the shed,). just one more opinion, Thanks!;)

Lee Schierer
04-14-2008, 9:27 AM
Years ago when I made my first wood projects in shop classes all we had was the white Elmers glue. Some of those early works of mine are still in use today at my mother house and mine, so far the glue has yet to fail despite almost 45 years of use. One item, a redwood cutting board gets wet washed (not soaked) pretty regularly.

I switched to yellow PVA glue a number of years ago as it was less runny and set up faster than white glue and was advertised as being superior. Most likely the superior performance was the amount of profit that lined the coffers of the manufacturers.

I don't care for the Titebond II glue as it is difficult to get our of clothes that come in contact with the glue. Normally I use either the Titebond brand or the Elmers brand depending on which one I find when I need glue. I buy it by the gallon and a gallon usually lasts me a year or two.

Rob Tolentino
04-14-2008, 10:27 AM
According to Consumer Reports magazine, they recommend both Elmer's ProBond and Titebond III. I've used both and can't really tell the difference. As some others have stated, I usually pick up which ever one is available at the time. They are both good products.

Rick Malloy
04-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Titebond, I made something with it years ago and later tried to take it apart when I moved. It didn't come apart and I had to bust it up. None of the glue lines broke but the wood did so I figured it was pretty good stuff. I try to stick with quality when I find it. If that had been Elmers with the same result this would be saying I use Elmers:)

Shawn Honeychurch
04-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Eyes the Elmer's glue on the shelf, argues with himself.
Takes it down, and smiles, promises to only do a little bit this time.
Removes the stopper, gently does a line of it.

Hours later realizes that the day is gone, no one knows where he is.
Lots of wood surrounds him, awe yeah, this is the good stuff.

J. Z. Guest
04-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Elmer's carpenter's glue is equivalent to Titebond original. Near me, Titebond costs less, probably because they don't blow as much money on fancy bottles and new labels every few months like Elmers does.

At least one woodworking book I've read says that yellow glue makes a stronger bond than white glue. Is white glue (e.g. Elmer's Glue-All) strong enough most of the time? Apparently so. But I won't be using it for any of my furniture joinery if I know that yellow glue is stronger. ;)