PDA

View Full Version : What type of plane did I buy?

Ben Martin
04-12-2008, 8:32 PM
Well, being a newb I decided to wander over to eBay and look through the auctions. I found a plane that looked to be in good shape, that I could put back into good working order and learn the neander way. I think it is a Stanley-Bailey No. 5 1/2, but the auction didn't list the type. My question is, what did I buy? :D

(I got if for $9.99, I was expecting to be outbid, so don't shoot me down if it isn't a good plane)

Mike Henderson
04-12-2008, 8:39 PM
I can't tell much from the pictures but it definitely isn't a 5 1/2. A 5 1/2 is much larger. This one is more like a #3 or a #4.

Mike

Ben Martin
04-12-2008, 8:41 PM
I can't tell much from the pictures but it definitely isn't a 5 1/2. A 5 1/2 is much larger. This one is more like a #3 or a #4.

Mike

Yeah, I was just looking at some more pictures of them, it appears to be smaller than a 5...

Phillip Pattee
04-12-2008, 9:51 PM
It looks like a stanley no 3. to me. Probably a type 10 or 11 given the diameter of the brass knob. Does it have any numbers or dates on it? Can you give us the width and length? Any of this data would help. You can also check it your self at the Woodworking at Rexmill site http://www.rexmill.com/ or at http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/main.html

Jim Andrew
04-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Looks like a nice plane, you must have made a good buy. Nothing like getting good tools at a good price. Jim

Grant Vanbokklen
04-12-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm new to hand planes but that lateral adjuster looks like a Union to me.
Thanks to links like this one: http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html

Jim Mims
04-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Sorry I can't help but I just did the same thing.
I got mine for $5.95. I guess those more knowledgeable (and who knew what to look for), weren't bidding.
I'll probably be asking the same question myself when I get it next week and can't figure out what I've got.
- Jim

Ben Martin
04-12-2008, 11:26 PM
It looks like a stanley no 3. to me. Probably a type 10 or 11 given the diameter of the brass knob. Does it have any numbers or dates on it? Can you give us the width and length? Any of this data would help. You can also check it your self at the Woodworking at Rexmill site http://www.rexmill.com/ or at http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/main.html

Phil, I don't have the item yet, but will give it a closer inspection once I receive it, I just posted the pictures that were in the listing.

Ben Martin
04-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Ok, I am thinking that it is a Union #2 plane, looks pretty similar to this picture that I found.

Grant Vanbokklen
04-13-2008, 1:24 AM
Again, I'm new to planes but have been reading online. I don't think that Union planes are to be looked down upon. They were made at a time when planes were actually in use by the professional. From what I've read they can be of very good quality. Do a Google Sawmillcreek search here at the top of this page for Union Plane.

Like this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40641

Clint Jones
04-13-2008, 7:43 AM
It not a union and it is not a Stanley.

Ben Martin
04-13-2008, 8:40 AM
It not a union and it is not a Stanley.

Do you have anything to back up this statement?

Here is the final picture from the listing, looking at the picture that I posted of the Union #2, this looks spot on, I can't see any difference. Unless it is a copy cat of a Union #2.

Ben Martin
04-13-2008, 8:41 AM
Again, I'm new to planes but have been reading online. I don't think that Union planes are to be looked down upon. They were made at a time when planes were actually in use by the professional. From what I've read they can be of very good quality. Do a Google Sawmillcreek search here at the top of this page for Union Plane.

Like this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40641

Thanks Grant! Being that this will be my first plane and more of the fun will come in learning how to get it back to working condition and then the learning how to actually use the plane, I am sure that it will serve my purposes perfectly fine!

Jeff Hallam
04-13-2008, 10:33 AM
The handle is not made the same as the Union plane photo. It is not smoothed as well and has a different shape. I don't think it is a stanley either based on the lateral adjustment lever.

Jim Koepke
04-13-2008, 1:24 PM
Clint and Jeff should be given the "good eye" mate award.

Some times though, things get listed on the great auction sites of cyberspace by people who haven't a clue.

If no one else finds them, a great buy can be had. Then again, it may be listed by someone who knows what they are doing and trying to catch the bottom fishers.

Hope it is a good one. More pictures when you get it might be of help to figure it out.

jim

Ben Martin
04-13-2008, 8:51 PM
The handle is not made the same as the Union plane photo. It is not smoothed as well and has a different shape. I don't think it is a stanley either based on the lateral adjustment lever.

Yeah, when you look at the handle, it doesn't look the same, but I was thinking that this was because of the angle that the picture was taken at and the lighting. I will post more pictures once I receive it. This is sort of like a grab bag, fun, nonetheless...

Jim Koepke
04-13-2008, 8:59 PM
Yeah, when you look at the handle, it doesn't look the same, but I was thinking that this was because of the angle that the picture was taken at and the lighting. I will post more pictures once I receive it. This is sort of like a grab bag, fun, nonetheless...

One has flat sides on the tote, the other has rounded sides. One looks to have more room between the handle and the adjuster.

The flat sides on the totes were used in as a way to cut costs. They are less work to make.

Some of the planes will look alike in a picture without anything to use as a scale to their size.

jim

Ben Martin
04-20-2008, 3:06 PM
Guys,

I received the plane, all is has cast in is No. 4, nothing else on the plane, not even the blade identify the maker. What do I need to post pictures of so that you guys can help identify.

Jim Koepke
04-20-2008, 4:14 PM
Guys,

I received the plane, all is has cast in is No. 4, nothing else on the plane, not even the blade identify the maker. What do I need to post pictures of so that you guys can help identify.

The end of the lateral adjuster and the top if it has any printing on it.

The frog without a blade installed. The base where the frog seats. Any markings on the casting may also be of help.

Even the screws maybe a clue to identification.

jim

Ben Martin
04-20-2008, 9:58 PM
One has flat sides on the tote, the other has rounded sides. One looks to have more room between the handle and the adjuster.

The flat sides on the totes were used in as a way to cut costs. They are less work to make.

Some of the planes will look alike in a picture without anything to use as a scale to their size.

jim

Ok, so it does have a name on it, on the back of the blade though. It is a Defiance plane, and after a little googling, it is identical to this one (except mine isn't corrugated):

http://www.jdgreene7.com/planes.html

The page says this:

The small plane is a Bailey Defiance No. 4 built between 1878 and 1884.

Can this thing be that old?

Jim Koepke
04-21-2008, 2:57 AM
Stanley bought Defiance from Bailey.
I know they made Defiance planes at different times, but do not know much about the different years.

I had one with Defiance by Stanley on the handle. It was a much more modern manufacture. It did not have a frog like the one in the picture.

The blade is curious on the site you have linked. Stanley did not have a blade with the large hole at the bottom until after 1888.
Wonder if this has anything to do with them buying Defiance.

jim

Ben Martin
04-21-2008, 9:25 PM
Stanley bought Defiance from Bailey.
I know they made Defiance planes at different times, but do not know much about the different years.

I had one with Defiance by Stanley on the handle. It was a much more modern manufacture. It did not have a frog like the one in the picture.

The blade is curious on the site you have linked. Stanley did not have a blade with the large hole at the bottom until after 1888.
Wonder if this has anything to do with them buying Defiance.

jim

Jim,
I have looked at many of the "Defiance by Stanley" branded planes and mine definitely is not one of those. I am pretty sure that mine pre-dates the buy out and looks to be just a Defiance branded plane. But looking through the history of Stanley, they bought Defiance in January of 1880. I sent an e-mail to the owner of the site that I linked above to see if he knew anything and have yet to receive a reply.

Does anyone know where else I might look to come up with some info. on Defiance planes? I have googled and not come up with much, and it is pretty difficult to wade through all of the "Defiance by Stanley" stuff...

Hmm, I just came across this:
http://store.wvtools.com/stde2inplblw.html
This stamping is identical to mine, but on the back it says Buffalo Tool Co., I didn't see this on mine, but since it is rusty maybe it is under there...